Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Danger was carrying an injury most of last season. An injured Danger is still better than most non-injured other Cats, or do you disagree with that?

I completely disagree with that. Before you ask as with quite literally every other player in the competition. Honestly, we saw in 1991 with a half-fit Gary Ablett what happens in the modern game. That year he was ok in some games, good in a handful, but in the one final he played that year he simply wasn't a factor, and it was all due to fitness. And that was nearly thirty years ago. The notion that any player - from any club too, not just Geelong - can play unfit players and get away with it should be consigned to history. The game is too demanding, the standard is too high, and the opposition too good to carry any weak links.

I suspect the powers at Geelong know better than all of us how to manage loads and carry crucial players. We really have no idea what he had to endure last season, but I suspect we have seen his best now, and it will be a gradual decline as it is for ALL players. Just saying he should not have played is too simplistic. He could be a potent FF if the need was there.

We'd need to see some evidence of that in a hurry for that to be true. He can't beat key defenders. He can outmark a midfielder who gets isolated, but proper defenders regularly beat him when he's up forward. As tantalising as the notion of him being a great forward is for seemingly an awful lot of people, it doesn't make it true.

Trying to reshape the story on why he did not play as well as some might have hoped ?

Not sure. I think that anyone who had a bad day at the office in the 2020 GF , is probably due some sort of pass as it was an extraordinary circumstances. I still feel like it was not a real GF, but I can also understand why he has lost ground in comparison to Martin, and how that might have an affect on everyones thinking, including Danger.

I think that's exactly it. There has been a mountain of hype about Dangerfield (in 2016 deservedly), and unfortunately there's been no small amount of discussion of how much he "deserves" a premiership. The Grand Final was the big occasion to prove it. He didn't and failed badly. By the last quarter he was diving for free kicks (a really horrible part of his game that has crept in), and was getting outmarked by Jaydn Short. Few fans would want to admit his big game record is not good. Cue the injury excuse.

I completely disagree with that. Before you ask as with quite literally every other player in the competition. Honestly, we saw in 1991 with a half-fit Gary Ablett what happens in the modern game. That year he was ok in some games, good in a handful, but in the one final he played that year he simply wasn't a factor, and it was all due to fitness. And that was nearly thirty years ago. The notion that any player - from any club too, not just Geelong - can play unfit players and get away with it should be consigned to history. The game is too demanding, the standard is too high, and the opposition too good to carry any weak links.

We'd need to see some evidence of that in a hurry for that to be true. He can't beat key defenders. He can outmark a midfielder who gets isolated, but proper defenders regularly beat him when he's up forward. As tantalising as the notion of him being a great forward is for seemingly an awful lot of people, it doesn't make it true.
Agree with history etc, but the club and Danger know best whether he should have played or not, and the fact he did, and was great in the other finals, suggests he in fact could be carried.

Agree with history etc, but the club and Danger know best whether he should have played or not, and the fact he did, and was great in the other finals, suggests he in fact could be carried.

This is where I think people really don't pay attention. The only final he performed well in was against Collingwood. He wasn't a factor against Port, and was quiet against Brisbane (it was a nice sign that they still won well without him starring).

This is where I think people really don't pay attention. The only final he performed well in was against Collingwood. He wasn't a factor against Port, and was quiet against Brisbane (it was a nice sign that they still won well without him starring).
22 possessions, 14 kicks, a goal, v Port, hardly not a factor.
Hawkins kicking 0-5 killed us, yet again.

Trying to reshape the story on why he did not play as well as some might have hoped ?

Not sure. I think that anyone who had a bad day at the office in the 2020 GF , is probably due some sort of pass as it was an extraordinary circumstances. I still feel like it was not a real GF, but I can also understand why he has lost ground in comparison to Martin, and how that might have an affect on everyones thinking, including Danger.

But yes his record in finals is not Martin like in multiple games, in multiple years. The way the game is played now seems to probably suit Martin more than Danger most of time, its so ground ball orientated. Reason? Who knows

I do know Danger is almost out of time to change the situation.

Yeah the modern day Hodge Riewoldt debate.

If you look at careers and regular season results Martin is a very solid player with a handful of real standout years. Cruised through a lot of seasons on natural talent.

But his finals performances are next level and it's the way everyone who has played sport is accustomed to thinking in terms of results. Play your best when it counts.

Danger ultimate professional if you go through consistency across his career regular season its unparalleled really on that ablett Jnr level of stardom.

His finals performances to date haven't been to the same consistency his regular season form is.

In saying all that, team game does Geelong win a flag with dusty. Or does Richmond still win 3 with danger ?

You never know the better team will always win more big games and that is what Richmond have been of late.

Geelong lose GF.
__- Thread locked all summer.
___- Thread re-opened before season starts.
____- Thread is a hive of activity.

What on earth is there to discuss yet lol. Last season was an improvement on the one before.
Bizarre.

Geelong lose GF.
__- Thread locked all summer.
___- Thread re-opened before season starts.
____- Thread is a hive of activity.

What on earth is there to discuss yet lol. Last season was an improvement on the one before.
Bizarre.
actually the thread has been unlocked for a while, and it's just that the thread had slipped back a few pages it was getting ignored - people could easily have been posting here for the last couple of months if they really wanted to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

actually the thread has been unlocked for a while, and it's just that the thread had slipped back a few pages it was getting ignored - people could easily have been posting here for the last couple of months if they really wanted to
Which would be before the season starts lol.

Beside the point that people are weird in here commenting on a coach before a game is played. Literally nothing new to discuss.

Which would be before the season starts lol.

Beside the point that people are weird in here commenting on a coach before a game is played. Literally nothing new to discuss.

don't you know our entire seasons hinges on how we fair in our pre-season matches - just look at how accurate the form line was from 12 months ago when we got smacked by the Suns & then Essendon held on by 4 points...

totally agree with the bolded

Chris Chris Chris... If that first game is any prediction of our season we have gone backwards... A lot... Still not seeing any creative ball movement

WOW... after 1 game... and that being the first game of the season u come up with that doozy??
GOLD... That is pure GOLD!!!

WOW... after 1 game... and that being the first game of the season u come up with that doozy??
GOLD... That is pure GOLD!!!

From an objective perspective this "pattern" is what each season has lead to a non-premiership season. It took 9 years just to get to the big dance, which should never be taken for granted.

No one expects an undefeated streak, but let's be honest here, there was a reason why Geelong went in as clear favourite for an Away game. It's should've been a comfortable 4 goal win. Watching the game, the Cats arrived thinking it was a done deal...we've seen this before too.

From an objective perspective this "pattern" is what each season has lead to a non-premiership season. It took 9 years just to get to the big dance, which should never be taken for granted.

No one expects an undefeated streak, but let's be honest here, there was a reason why Geelong went in as clear favourite for an Away game. It's should've been a comfortable 4 goal win. Watching the game, the Cats arrived thinking it was a done deal...we've seen this before too.
All too often. But this week, they will take a hard look at themselves, tell some home truths, increase training and you know the rest.

they will take a hard look at themselves, tell some home truths, increase training and you know the rest.

No doubt, and safe to safe they'll have to do it without Dangerfield. When I saw the bump I didn't notice head contact until I saw him bleeding. Had his shoulder been the weapon to the guy's head, fine I get it, but it looks like they cracked heads....so I don't get the witch hunt. Oh wait, he "left the ground" right? This is how the Dunstall's of the world (yes he was very vocal during the broadcast as if he played like a saint) were judged, jury and executioner.

Not sure what this "pattern" you talk of??
Before every season starts you me and everyone knows that on average we will lose about 6 games. That is a given bar 2008 i guess.
Both as underdogs and others as favourites.
So when, where, how we lose matters little as the end result will be the same during the season.
You expecting a 4 goal win was exactly what the players were expecting yes??
So their problem of expectations are like ours and we all get ahead of ourselves just like we did yesterday.
Cheers mate! GO CATTERS!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back