Review 2012 List Management Thread

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Yeh, Harper said that last week. Aren't our only two uncontracted players Kurt and Thompson.
Mattner was contracted too when he left. I just don't know why guys would stick around if they could be getting a regular game elsewhere. Similarly, having your players contracted is good insurance and means you don't risk losing them for nothing but doesn't mean we can't initiate something.

Because, with some exceptions, players are confident that they are good enough to be playing in the seniors, no matter who is in front of them. It's the same reason why central midfielders continue to sign for Barcelona, if you follow the soccer, despite the team already having the three best central mids in the world already squeezing into two positions.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Because, with some exceptions, players are confident that they are good enough to be playing in the seniors, no matter who is in front of them. It's the same reason why central midfielders continue to sign for Barcelona, if you follow the soccer, despite the team already having the three best central mids in the world already squeezing into two positions.
So Knights will stick around then?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
That confidence only lasts up to a point. Knights is past that point, but most others on our list won't be yet, especially the younger ones.
Ivan Maric, Tony Armstrong too.

From those players point of view (I'm talking Otten, L Thompson, Martin, McKernan) they owe it to themselves to move to a club that will give them opportunities. Whatever interest there is in them now from other clubs, another season of SANFL football will only decrease their appeal. How could they take that risk?

Ivan Maric, Tony Armstrong too.

From those players point of view (I'm talking Otten, L Thompson, Martin, McKernan) they owe it to themselves to move to a club that will give them opportunities. Whatever interest there is in them now from other clubs, another season of SANFL football will only decrease their appeal. How could they take that risk?

Because they won't see it as a risk. From the outside looking in like we are, it's the smart and logical decision. There's nothing especially logical going on inside their minds though.

Maric, and Knights had all reached the point where after a few years on the list, they were no longer confident of getting games. They'd been around, seen a little more of the world at work, and moved on. Thompson seems to be of the same mind, while I suspect if things stay as they are Martin will be the same way end of next season. Armstrong, who knows. Seems like he just didn't want to be here anyway. It's the same with my Barcelona example - the players think they're all top s**t because Barca wants them, they sign thinking they're going to be the next superstar playing 40-50 games across all competitions for them, stay on a high all through that first season on the bench and in the reserves, then 3 years later after a total of 10 games in the early rounds of the Copa del Rey they leave, and end up playing at Birmingham or Zenit St Petersburg, never to be heard from again.

Otten played games this year around injury and bad form, he's probably still quite confident in his own mind that he'll be playing 22 games next year.

If you can tell me what McKernan is thinking, you win a prize.

PykeDream

Only the Betts
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dylan Orval has apparently been offered another year, according to Cameron Ellis-Yolmen's retweet of his brother's post. Confirmation pending.

Hendersloane

All Australian
Aug 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles
Might be wrong but wasn't Orval rookie listed as a bit of a 'project', sort of a Gunston type in the way he plays? Hopefully can push into Centrals league side permanently next year so we see a bit more of him.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Callinan upgraded, but another veteran on the list. Do we have any rookie selections?
Depends on who they choose to cut loose. Can't see (James) Craig or (Sam) Martyn getting another extension, though Martyn's departure wouldn't generate a free rookie spot as he's an ex-NSW scholarship holder. Young is already gone, so there's one rookie position freed up.

Elder van Berlo

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Might be wrong but wasn't Orval rookie listed as a bit of a 'project', sort of a Gunston type in the way he plays? Hopefully can push into Centrals league side permanently next year so we see a bit more of him.

Yes and he was coming off a knee reco, so I don't think a whole lot was expected of him this year. He had some complications with his knee and had a cleanout about halfway through the season, but came back and played a few games with Centrals' seconds after that. Don't know why he didn't play for them in the finals, whether he was put on ice for the year or just dropped.

PykeDream

Only the Betts
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Question: Is this thread for confirmed movements or just the trade period in general?

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

Glad to hear we've given him another shot. When you're picking up young guys on the rookie list, especially when they're talls, they're never going to be plug and play, they're development types. I think there was a few times under Craigy where we judged these guys too harshly in their first year, with Curnow and Lee being prime examples.

Back