2012 WTA Tournments

Remove this Banner Ad

I know its Fed Cup, but I'm not sure there's any point starting a thread because Australia probably get knocked out immediately.
Anyway, they picked the team to play Germany, but for some ridiculous reason, picked Rogowska over Rodionova. Rodionova is well ranked in doubles, and I'd almost rather have her than Jarka at the minute playing singles. I doubt Rogowska will play, but Rodionova is not pleased and I can see why. You think it'd be on clay and she just did well in Charlston last week. The fact that she's not even in the squad.... No offence to Rogowska, but I'd be surprised if she ever made serious inroads into the top 100.

It's the World Group Playoffs so technically we are playing to get in. This is basically about Stosur and if she wins her two singles then it comes down to the doubles where we are a shot. I think that's why they gone with Dellacqua with Stosur as the better combination and just give Rogowska some experience. I don't agree with the decision but I can understand it.

Stosur playing Kerber now in the first rubber in the tie. Obviously it is a crucial match for Australia. Stosur needs to win both her matches. Match is on serve at the moment. Stosur up 5-4.

Sam got a tough win in the end, 7-6, 6-4, probably should've been a bit more comfortable but Kerber is a great competitor and played quite well herself. Sam has an annoying habit of being broken immediately after she doesn't convert BP's though.

Anyway Jarka currently playing Goerges, 2-2. She's doing ok at the minute, seriously if she got herself together she'd be absolutely lethal, she has some crazy shots. I reckon her coach is a stooge.

Also I took a quick look of the Serb Russia tie and saw Pavlyuchenkova. I swear I am in better shape than her, she's never been really skinny but far out, for a professional tennis player, you honestly wonder. It might be part of the reason why she's become useless this year.

Well, Jarka beats Goerges in straights 6-4 6-4. Apart from a few shaky games early, I don't think Goerges even got 1 BP. Best she's played in ages. Poor Goerges is quite upset though, think she may have buggered upa a bit under pressure, but Jarka showed howod she could actually be. Big ****up from Germany, they might put Petko in to play Stosur. We'll see I guess.

Germany decided to play Petkovic instead of Goerges. I dont think its a wise move since she hasnt played all year. Anyway Sam won the first 6-4. After being up 5-2 and serving 2 DF and having 4 set points at 5-3. Hopfully she can wrap this up in straights.

Petkovic is doing reasonably well, though Sam doing enough so far. Struggling to hold serve in the match for both players. I think a better selection to play against Jarka would have been Barthel.

Petkovic is doing reasonably well, though Sam doing enough so far. Struggling to hold serve in the match for both players. I think a better selection to play against Jarka would have been Barthel.

Barthel didnt even get picked in the squad i was quite suprised by that. With Sam in control up 6-4 4-1 for the next match i would love to see Liv get a run.

Sam was playing some very free tennis in that second set and her confidence just grew as the match went on.

This is great for Australian tennis that we are back in the World Group. A fantastic effort!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly just a desperate move from Deutschland in playing Petko. Sam did not play well, but she didn't need to as Petko was understandably awful. They would've been better off sticking with Goerges, she didn't play that badly against Jarka, Jarka was just seriously on. I hope those tickets weren't expensive though, Germans folded like a deck of cards. Their captain is probably goneskies.

Anyway good to be back in world group, hopefully they can draw a spud country in round 1 next year and the tie is played overseas :p

Back in the world group.:thumbsu:

Now we just need the boys to beat Germany in Germany in September.

P.S watch us draw one of the top countrys in round one.

Premier tournament in Stuttgart this week (same venue as the Fed Cup) with most of the top 10 playing. A very tough draw for most players, except Radwanska who appears to have a walk in the park into the 1/4 final.

Stosur has just won her 1st round match against Peng 6-2 6-2. She is in the same 1/4 of the draw as Sharapova. Will be a tough match, but Sam seems to be in good form early in the clay season. Will face Goerges or Pavlyuchenkova.

Woz and Kvitova in the same 1/4 and Bartoli is in Azarenka's section. Top 4 seeds have a bye 1st round.

Coverage begins tonight at 11:30pm on Eurosport.

Stosur going along nicely with a good win over Goerges 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. The first set Sam was abolsutely caining it, just teeing off and hitting a number of winners off both sides, the highlight being a pretty mad backhand slice down the line winner. The second set was practically the reverse, Goerges was smashing winners, Sam couldn't maintain the standard. However she picked it up again in the third, and pretty much kept Goerges at bay. She should give Sharapova a run for her money, if she brings the tennis she displayed in the first most players would struggle. Big if though.

Not a good week for Goerges though, she actually hasn't played badly, she's just pretty much been beaten by a pretty much on fire Jarka and Sam, so she shouldn't be too discouraged.

Oh and German Fed cup captain looks like a massive goon for picking an un match fit Petko over the very much in form Barthel.

I wasn't able to watch and just score the result, which indicated a very close match. I read somewhere that Stosur was up 7-6 5-3, but was not able to close it out. Coming in to the French, the problem for Sam being ranked number 5 is that there is a stong possibility of facing either Sharapova, Kvitova or Azarenka in the 1/4 final stage. All very difficult match ups for Sam. Hopefully she gets lucky and draws Radwanksa if they were to both make it that far at Roland Garros.

If anyone gives a stuff Sharapova beat Azarenka in straights in the Stuttgart final. I couldn't be bothered staying up to watch it, but RG is gonna be interesting on the ladies side. There's probably realistically about 6 players who can win it, hopefully the draw works out nicely for Stosur, although she seems to be playing well enough to cause a bit of an upset if needs be. Time will tell.

Stosur going along nicely with a good win over Goerges 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. The first set Sam was abolsutely caining it, just teeing off and hitting a number of winners off both sides, the highlight being a pretty mad backhand slice down the line winner. The second set was practically the reverse, Goerges was smashing winners, Sam couldn't maintain the standard. However she picked it up again in the third, and pretty much kept Goerges at bay. She should give Sharapova a run for her money, if she brings the tennis she displayed in the first most players would struggle. Big if though.

Not a good week for Goerges though, she actually hasn't played badly, she's just pretty much been beaten by a pretty much on fire Jarka and Sam, so she shouldn't be too discouraged.

Oh and German Fed cup captain looks like a massive goon for picking an un match fit Petko over the very much in form Barthel.

It seems Goerges was struggling with a virus and on antibiotics leading into the Fed Cup, then practiced well enough directly before to get the nod to play. After loosing to Jarka, they substituted her for Petko against Sam, which only makes sense if Goerges wasn't 100 percent. Even during early Stuttgart practice, she was often having to stop for a tissue break.

I'm interested to see how Barthel goes at Strasbourg. I can't say I'm that confident, but I hope she does well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back