2013 Triple J Hottest 100‏

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly I'm getting my Kanye West's mixed up........ I'm talking about the idiot rap douche who's songwriter pumps out cookie cutter club tracks featuring things like bagging gold diggers, and then knocked up a media whore gold digger who he's about to marry, and pulls the race card at every dumbass opportunity while embarrassing himself whenever he can.

Which one were you talking about?

The one with the best post 2000 catalogue of music

My votes, guaranteed to have missed some quality ones but anyway

Rufus - Rendezvous
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know
Birds of Tokyo - Lanterns
Boy and Bear - Southern Sun
Flight Facilities - I didn't believe it
Flume and Chet Faker - Drop the Game

...... with Justin Bieber close behind in 2nd?

Be facetious if you want, but it only makes you seem ignorant and frankly quite stupid. As much as Kanye the person is deservedly derided, his music has been a constantly evolving and consistently great. He has a very legitimate claim for album of the decade and he was the principle reason for the decline of gangsta rap that was dominant when he arrived on the scene in 2003-4.

Your inability to recognise this, puts yourself on the outside of critical reception.

Hahahahahaha, you listen to Matt Corby I don't think I need to say anything else....

I am starting to wonder if you actually listen to JJJJJJ. Bag Thrift Shop all you want because it's the cool thing to do, but that song first gained popularity on there. It was a great song until it became overplayed on mainstream radio.

And, you are bagging someone for listening to Matt Corby, me think this thread is not for you.

FasterLouder predict this as the top 10. Is the Illy Like a Version really that popular??

What the triple j Hottest 100 Top 10 might look like:

1. Lorde – ‘Royals’
2. Vance Joy – ‘Riptide’
3. Daft Punk – ‘Get Lucky’
4. Lorde – ‘Tennis Court’
5. Matt Corby – ‘Resolution’
6. Haim – ‘The Wire’
7. Arcade Fire – ‘Reflektor’
8. Birds of Tokyo – ‘Lanterns’
9. Disclosure – ‘Latch’
10. Illy – ‘The Australian Classics Mash-Up'

FasterLouder predict this as the top 10. Is the Illy Like a Version really that popular??

1. Lorde – ‘Royals’
2. Vance Joy – ‘Riptide’
6. Haim – ‘The Wire’
9. Disclosure – ‘Latch’

No one is voting for Disclosure because if they're in your list that's posted to Facebook, that hot broad u work with in the Tame Impala shirt will think ur just in2 "club bangers" and not soulful "legitimate, grassroots indie bands."

Can see Arcade Fire hitting top four even though Reflektor is the worst lead single they've ever had but their presence as a band blurring indie and mainstream has never been higher/better/more 'cool' for more 'cool' peeps.

Laters. These bagels won't toast themselves.

Be facetious if you want, but it only makes you seem ignorant and frankly quite stupid. As much as Kanye the person is deservedly derided, his music has been a constantly evolving and consistently great. He has a very legitimate claim for album of the decade and he was the principle reason for the decline of gangsta rap that was dominant when he arrived on the scene in 2003-4.

Your inability to recognise this, puts yourself on the outside of critical reception.

Not sure how all this validates his selection on a radio station described as "alternative".

Not sure how all this validates his selection on a radio station described as "alternative".

Because when he came through he was considered an alternative rapper, despite his proliferation into the mainstream he still takes many ques from the alternative mindset. He wasn't in mainstream music in Australia and they have always played hip hop from the days when they played nothing but NWA's Express Yourself on loop for 24 hours in resistance to the banning of another hip hop song.

Kanye didn't break through here until Gold Digger which was the second single off of his second LP.

Some artists Triple J stick by no matter how popular they become. Kanye seems to be one of those.

After first 5000 votes counted, here is my first prelim. list: (apologies for the font).
1 Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
2 Vance Joy - Riptide
3 Lorde - Royals
4 Daft Punk - Get Lucky
5 Violent Soho - Covered In Chrome
6 Arcade Fire - Reflektor
7 Kanye West - Black Skinhead
8 James Blake - Retrograde
9 Arctic Monkeys - Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?
10 Flume & Chet Faker - Drop The Game
11 Haim - The Wire
12 Preatures, The - Is This How You Feel?
13 Arctic Monkeys - Arabella
14 Lorde - Team
15 Lorde - Tennis Court
16 Foals - My Number
17 Matt Corby - Resolution
18 Lana Del Rey - Young And Beautiful
19 Chvrches - Gun
20 Disclosure - When A Fire Starts To Burn
21 Daft Punk - Instant Crush
22 RUFUS - Take Me
23 Vampire Weekend - Step
24 Vampire Weekend - Diane Young
25 Haim - Falling
26 Thundamentals - Smiles Don't Lie
27 RUFUS - Desert Night
28 Touch Sensitive - Pizza Guy
29 Wombats, The - Your Body Is A Weapon
30 Childish Gambino - 3005
31 Arcade Fire - Afterlife
32 Kanye West - Bound 2
33 Bloc Party - Ratchet
34 Kanye West - Blood On The Leaves
35 Grouplove - Ways To Go
36 Daft Punk - Doin' It Right
37 Disclosure - White Noise {Ft. Alunageorge}
38 Chvrches - Recover
39 London Grammar - Strong
40 Birds Of Tokyo - Lanterns
41 King Krule - Easy Easy
42 San Cisco - Get Lucky {Like A Version}
43 Illy - Ausmusic Month Medley {Like A Version}
44 Boy & Bear - Southern Sun
45 A$AP Rocky - F**kin' Problems {Ft. Drake, 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar}
46 Courtney Barnett - Avant Gardener
47 Kingswood - Ohio
48 Queens Of The Stone Age - If I Had A Tail
49 Queens Of The Stone Age - My God Is The Sun
50 Cloud Control - Scar
51 Robert Delong - Global Concepts
52 Daft Punk - Lose Yourself To Dance
53 Andy Bull - Keep On Running
54 Boy & Bear - Harlequin Dream
55 Kanye West - New Slaves
56 Kite String Tangle, The - Given The Chance
57 Remi - Sangria
58 Chvrches - Lies
59 John Newman - Love Me Again
60 Illy - Youngbloods {Ft. Ahren Stringer}
61 Rudimental - Waiting All Night {Ft. Ella Eyre}
62 Daughter - Youth
63 British India - Summer Forgive Me
64 Bring Me The Horizon - Sleepwalking
65 Vampire Weekend - Unbelievers
66 Sticky Fingers - Australia Street
67 Disclosure - You & Me {Ft. Eliza Doolittle}
68 Kings Of Leon - Supersoaker
69 Chet Faker - Melt {Ft. Kilo Kish}
70 Smith Street Band, The - Ducks Fly Together
71 Goldroom - Embrace
72 Northlane - Quantum Flux
73 Queens Of The Stone Age - I Sat By The Ocean
74 St Lucia - Elevate
75 National, The - Demons
76 Phoenix - Entertainment
77 Daft Punk - Giorgio By Moroder
78 Andy Bull - Baby I Am Nobody Now
79 Allday - Claude Monet
80 Wavves - Demon To Lean On
81 Empire Of The Sun - Alive
82 National, The - Graceless
83 Amity Affliction, The - Born To Die
84 Everything Everything - Kemosabe
85 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sacrilege
86 Flight Facilities - Stand Still {Ft. Micky Green}
87 Arctic Monkeys - One For The Road
88 Dune Rats - Red Light, Green Light
89 Jake Bugg - What Doesn't Kill You
90 Pond - Giant Tortoise
91 Major Lazer - Jessica {Ft. Ezra Koenig Of Vampire Weekend}
92 Grouplove - Borderlines And Aliens
93 Two Door Cinema Club - Changing Of The Seasons
94 Lorde - 400 Lux
95 Lorde - Ribs
96 Mr Little Jeans - Oh Sailor
97 MS MR - Fantasy
98 Allday - Girl In The Sun
99 Bliss N Eso - Reservoir Dogs {Ft. 360, Pez, Seth Sentry & Drapht}
100 Big Scary - Luck Now

Really hoping Violent Soho make it up high, ******* great band and really down to earth guys. Best gig I've ever been to when I saw them in November. Bought me a beer before the show and let me get up on stage to sing Muscle Junkie! To be honest Covered in Chrome isn't even the best song from their latest album (listen to 'Gold Coast') but that seems to be their best shot at making it.

Also really surprised that 'I Appear Missing' by Queens of the Stone Age didn't get more love, in my opinion it's right up there as one of the best songs they've written. The whole album is quality though, guess you can't put them all in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great work as always witness. Just wondering how many votes you counted last year before the top ten was roughly set in stone?

It's never really set in stone, but I would say at around the 5000 vote mark, all of my top 10 will finish in at least the top 20. Although this year seems especially tight, with only the top 3 getting over 1% of the votes at the moment, its normally around the top 10 or 11 that get over 1% of my count.

This is looking like the first Hottest 100 in three years where I know more than a handful of songs, more like 30-50. I'm very pleased by this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lanterns is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. I didn't mind Plans, but it seems BOT are just trying to capitalise on the success of that song by re-creating it again and again.

Stick to what you're good at it, which is why Karnivool is much better than BOT at the moment.

Sorry I really felt like having this rant

1. Lorde – ‘Royals’
2. Vance Joy – ‘Riptide’
6. Haim – ‘The Wire’
9. Disclosure – ‘Latch’
I swear latch was last year? :/

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot stand Kanye the person or Kanye's music.
And this is from someone who likes rap, good rap.

I just can't stand it, I dont like his voice, and maybe its just the ones that get airtime but his lyrics have no substance and often don't even make sense. Now his album tracks may be different but from what ive heard it all just sounds like someone who is trying to hard, its not natural and smooth like rap should be, well I think so anyway

But thats just one casual listeners opinion

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot stand Kanye the person or Kanye's music.
And this is from someone who likes rap, good rap.

I just can't stand it, I dont like his voice, and maybe its just the ones that get airtime but his lyrics have no substance and often don't even make sense. Now his album tracks may be different but from what ive heard it all just sounds like someone who is trying to hard, its not natural and smooth like rap should be, well I think so anyway

But thats just one casual listeners opinion

Listen to The College Dropout and Late Registration, listen to those lyrics and the soulful hooks. That might change your mind.

Of course, each to their own

This tends to be one of the first songs I'll point Kanye knockers to. I think it's earnest, soulful and quite unexpected at the time. Was pretty much the only time I'd heard a love song about someone's mother since 2pac .

Well apart from Stacey's Mom but that's a different type of love :p

Also love this.

This tends to be one of the first songs I'll point Kanye knockers to. I think it's earnest, soulful and quite unexpected at the time. Was pretty much the only time I'd heard a love song about someone's mother since 2pac .

Truth.

And the Grammys performance, shortly after her death - beautiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back