Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have to agree to it, surely?

As long as we commit to paying them the same and keeping them on the list?

A few examples have already surfaced, like Kurt Aylett at Essendon.
Hmm. Yeah probably, but I think it's more likely that we'd have only 3 players on the rookie list and keep a senior spot free.

Hmm. Yeah probably, but I think it's more likely that we'd have only 3 players on the rookie list and keep a senior spot free.
Pay out the contract and then take on the remaining year on the rookie list.

Really can't understand why McKenzie, Evans, and Terlich are contracted beyond 2014. Even Spencer and Matt Jones. Definitions of list cloggers.

Could we potentially have a 3 man rookie list? Harmes, King, Tapscott? That would allow us to use pick 40 and have 41 players on the senior list (including Newton).

Like it but we can't. Senior Lists have to be 38-40. Rookie lists 4-6. I wish the AFL would just have no rookie list at all (excluding international/category B) and just have a list of approx. 45.

Really can't understand why McKenzie, Evans, and Terlich are contracted beyond 2014. Even Spencer and Matt Jones. Definitions of list cloggers.

I'll give you the first three but Spencer and Matt Jones are important depth. Yes they're probably not best 22 and will eventually most likely be fobbed off but what other options would we have?

Welcome to the rookie list Jayden Hunt?

I know you're only suggesting this... But after only being drafted last year, bit hard to demote him to the rookie list. In terms of rookie listing a contracted player, McKenzie and Evans would be better options. They've had their chance and if they don't want to work like Jetta did this year than * 'em.

IMO, where we are at as a club, the rookie list is pointless. I'd prefer Tapscott to get another go on the rookie list (Jetta was also out of contract this time last year and I still see upside to Tapscott if he can stay healthy) and Evans to be demoted. No other club would take Evans if we delisted him and took him with our last pick in the rookie draft; and if anyone did, kind of a win for us.

Reason I say Evans over McKenzie is: McKenzie is more likely to play AFL because of his tagging abilities, and Evans looks like an U9s player in his 1st game wandering around looking for his mummy in the crowd.

If we axe a contracted player, pay them out and draft another player we still have their payments in the TPP; meaning less money for next years plan (Danger/GWS Mid/Hannebery etc.) or contract extensions of good young players or next years FAs (e.g. Jones and Garland to stop any chance of being ****ed over again by FA next year).

This would leave us with 2, 3, 40, 42 (Stretch) and 53 (with possibly 83). 2 and 3 = Petracca>Brayshaw>McCartin>Wright, 40 = <insert your opinion here> 42 = Stretch, and 53 = Newton or Jetta or PASS (depending on whether we get Newton as a DFA on in PSD) and 83 to used for Jetta if 53 is Newton/PASS. The rookie list would be Harmes, King, Evans and Tapscott; and if any don't step up, I'm happy for a complete turnover next off-season.

Never done such a long post, so I hope it makes sense.

Evans/McKenzie should go. Hunt, while an outside chance to make it, is still very young and was always a long term/outside chance pick. McKenzie and Evans are 'mature' players who are likely as good as they'll ever be and that is ordinary. Re-rookie or pay out or whatever; if there's a will there's a way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

schmuttt said:
I can't believe we haven't cut both of them, we would definitely not be paying 100% of the cap and mckenzie/Evans would be on jack anyway.
Money for nothing, and s**t for free

I understand the frustration at having these kinds of players on the list but seriously what is the alternative? Who would we replace them with? There is only so much talent going around; at some point you're just replacing ordinary AFL seasoned footballers with ordinary non-AFL seasoned footballers. Even premiership teams have players like this.

Could we potentially have a 3 man rookie list? Harmes, King, Tapscott? That would allow us to use pick 40 and have 41 players on the senior list (including Newton).

The tightness of the list numbers makes it even more mind boggling as to why Terlich in particular and Bail were signed again at the end of the season. I reckon Roos and co have missed a trick and not anticipated who we were going to be able to add in the off-season. Now they're going to have to get creative with moving on contracted players just to be able to use third round draft picks. We haven't made many mistakes off field recently but I reckon this is a self inflicted situation the list management group would regret.

I understand the frustration at having these kinds of players on the list but seriously what is the alternative? Who would we replace them with? There is only so much talent going around; at some point you're just replacing ordinary AFL seasoned footballers with ordinary non-AFL seasoned footballers. Even premiership teams have players like this.
Anyone really. They aren't Terlich/Bail/MJones types who, while s**t players, can at least play solidly if required and are okay as depth. McKenzie and Evans are crap at even performing as role players or fill ins. We'd be better off taking a punt on another good VFL/SANFL/WAFL player or another kid than keep these blokes around.

Maybe I am missing something but as I understand it this is what we've done to date:

Outs: Blease, Byrnes, Clark, Clisby, Frawley, Nicholson, Strauss, Tapscott, Georgiou* (8 primary & 1 rookie)

Ins: Frost, Garlett, Lumumba, Stretch (F/S - ND 42) (4 primary)

Draft: 2, 3, 40, 53,

Possibilities: Jetta (promoted rookie) & Newton (delisted FA)

I think if we gain Newton as a DFA & promote Jetta we will certainly need to chop one of McKenzie or Evans.

I think personally the club will have sat Jetta down & explained that Trengove is going to on the LTI list all year next season & that he'll in turn be the elevated rookie.

End result we get Newton & take 2,3 & 40 to draft.

Maybe I am missing something but as I understand it this is what we've done to date:

Outs: Blease, Byrnes, Clark, Clisby, Frawley, Nicholson, Strauss, Tapscott, Georgiou* (8 primary & 1 rookie)

Ins: Frost, Garlett, Lumumba, Stretch (F/S - ND 42) (4 primary)

Draft: 2, 3, 40, 53,

Possibilities: Jetta (promoted rookie) & Newton (delisted FA)

I think if we gain Newton as a DFA & promote Jetta we will certainly need to chop one of McKenzie or Evans.

I think personally the club will have sat Jetta down & explained that Trengove is going to on the LTI list all year next season & that he'll in turn be the elevated rookie.

End result we get Newton & take 2,3 & 40 to draft.

We've already given him the 2 year contract and committed to upgrading him, that will not happen.

We've already given him the 2 year contract and committed to upgrading him, that will not happen.
Yep, it's done. He was officially elevated to the senior list prior to list lodgement 1.

Fair enough. He deserves the upgrade after this yr so one of McKenzie or Evans need to be delisted & if not picked up by someone else re-rookied. As it is, Trengove won't play next yr & a spot will be open via the LTI list

In our position we need to be bringing in 3-4 new young talented players every yr.

I think we need to delist 2 more if we are taking on Newton. pick 40 we should be looking at anther midfielder (hopefully maynard) and pick 53 we should be targeting a ruckman (Mark Pittonet), With Jamar coming out of contract next year and possibly retiring we are going to be left with Gawn, Spencer and Fitzpatrick, we desperately need to start looking at our future ruck stocks.

So Blease is officially a Cat.

I will look on his stint there with great interest. If he goes up a notch in endurance and application then questions will fairly be asked about why this didn't happen at Melbourne. 2nd chance wake up call may be a factor but I still think the jury is out on our fitness and development setup.

Having said that he could end up struggling so we'll see.

So Blease is officially a Cat.

I will look on his stint there with great interest. If he goes up a notch in endurance and application then questions will fairly be asked about why this didn't happen at Melbourne. 2nd chance wake up call may be a factor but I still think the jury is out on our fitness and development setup.

Having said that he could end up struggling so we'll see.
The Jury has already said their verdict, we suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back