List Mgmt. 2016 Draft discussion - PSD & RD Monday, Nov 28 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to say but Newton has proven he won't add to our team at AFL level....at least pick 57 ect has a chance to be a Jayden Hunt in the future.

Having 57 as our first pick feels unusual but great actually. Fair to say im sick of the draft being season highlight.
This.
Have gotten too used to getting excited about who's coming in to help us get somewhere near competitive.
We've actually got most of what we need now and it's awesome!

Since we only need to use 3 picks and we have 5, would we look at bundling 2 or more picks to get a higher draft postion?
I doubt anyone would would be particularly interested.

I'm pretty confident that Mahoney, Viney Snr and Co are having a quiet beer and patting each other on the back for a job well done right now.

To be fair tho, I did say it'd be Hibberd job done ... so what do I know.

Interesting read here about the best mature-age/state league prospects: http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17829343/knightmare-afl-draft-wrap-best-state-league-prospects

I particularly like the sound of these guys:

In the WAFL, making a significant impression and also looming as a likely national draft selection has been Subiaco's Liam Ryan. He is a 186cm, 76kg, high flying 20-year-old forward. Ryan has kicked an impressive 40 goals from his 16 WAFL League games while taking several highlight reel-worthy marks throughout the season.

Another young ruckman who is also in the mix to be selected is 21-year-old, 204cm, 104kg Claremont ruckman Darcy Cameron. Cameron has taken another step in the right direction this year and has not only proven effective as a tap ruckman but also as a forward with 36 goals and 106 marks from his 19 WAFL League games. He has had another impressive season and may, as a relieving ruckman or No. 1 ruckman, be a developable player.

So I asked in the Hibberd thread, but I should have asked here:
So seeing how we are no longer picking til the bottom of the 3rd round what's the relative strength & depth of the draft looking like this year?

Looking myself I found this from ESPN back in July as probably the most detailed early draft review (no idea about the author or whether this is likely to be correct or not though):

1. How is the top-end quality in this year's AFL draft?
The top-end in this years AFL draft is flat - there is no clear No. 1 selection and overall there is a feeling of evenness up the top end of the draft.

Clubs with first-round selections will be impressed by the inside bulls and other versatile midfielders who can play a variety of positions in this draft.

The key position and ruck stocks by contrast are more speculative, with no standout performer to this point. The big men expected to be selected inside the first two rounds will likely be drafted based on their mix of attributes and long-term scope to develop.

2. How deep does this draft go?
Overall, the depth in this year's draft could be categorised as above average.

This draft features a solid best 40 who most clubs would come into the draft hoping to select. With the evenness of this year's draft, and certain variation on all club draft boards, there are sure to be some late and rookie draft bargains this year.

10. What does next year's draft look like?
The top end is expected to be stronger in 2017, with a better selection of key position players and ruckmen looming as early draft choices.

So not expecting much from the draft but that's because we've certainly done well out of the trade.

If anyone can point me at some other good draft previews I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Delist Dawes and Newton, Trade Dunn and upgrade Wagner. Then we'll have 3 spots on the main list for the draft.

Surely Max King and Michie get the chop. White will probably get one more year on the rookie list. Smith to be upgraded to Cat A in the rookie draft and we pick up 2 others.

Allsop to join Maynard as Cat B after the rookie draft is completed (if he's not picked up by someone else).

Lets be realistic, as much as Hunt looks like a diamond in the rough you aren't going to get a whole lot of guys who play 10+ games at AFL level in the 50s and onwards.
Both McDonald went around then? At least 49's plus Hunt, plenty of rookie players which is even later make it.

We'll probably upgrade 1 rookie and take a couple of picks such as a kid with an injury history and a project ruck.

We might sniff about with offering next years second for an upgrade, but I doubt we'll transact unless we get a good/unlikely offer.

Dunn might get us a slight upgrade but other than that it looks like we'll shut up shop..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it stands GWS has 6 picks before we even have our first...and when you consider they (a) were a kick out of the grand final (b) traded 3 players who either didn't get on the park (or barely did in the case of Steele), and (c) retired off Patfull (who admittedly was best 22 but only due to injuries), it's an embarrassment of riches really.

Interesting read here about the best mature-age/state league prospects: http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17829343/knightmare-afl-draft-wrap-best-state-league-prospects

I particularly like the sound of these guys:

In the WAFL, making a significant impression and also looming as a likely national draft selection has been Subiaco's Liam Ryan. He is a 186cm, 76kg, high flying 20-year-old forward. Ryan has kicked an impressive 40 goals from his 16 WAFL League games while taking several highlight reel-worthy marks throughout the season.

Another young ruckman who is also in the mix to be selected is 21-year-old, 204cm, 104kg Claremont ruckman Darcy Cameron. Cameron has taken another step in the right direction this year and has not only proven effective as a tap ruckman but also as a forward with 36 goals and 106 marks from his 19 WAFL League games. He has had another impressive season and may, as a relieving ruckman or No. 1 ruckman, be a developable player.

Have seen a bit of Liam this season. Can do a lot of phenomenal things, that's for sure. I reckon after half a season at Casey he'd be a chance to challenge Jeffy for a spot (especially if Jeffy continues to play the way he did after he signed a new contract).

(Puts Subiaco fan hat on) Will be disappointing to lose him after losing Yarran last season, hopefully we have another just like him hidden away in a country league somewhere.

Would be keen on Darcy, but I would expect West Coast would be all over him with pick 54, if he's not gone sooner.

They mention Blayne Wilson in the article but his teammate Blaine Johnson (ex Carlton) interests me as a medium forward.

Have seen a bit of Liam this season. Can do a lot of phenomenal things, that's for sure. I reckon after half a season at Casey he'd be a chance to challenge Jeffy for a spot (especially if Jeffy continues to play the way he did after he signed a new contract).

(Puts Subiaco fan hat on) Will be disappointing to lose him after losing Yarran last season, hopefully we have another just like him hidden away in a country league somewhere.

Would be keen on Darcy, but I would expect West Coast would be all over him with pick 54, if he's not gone sooner.

They mention Blayne Wilson in the article but his teammate Blaine Johnson (ex Carlton) interests me as a medium forward.

Cheers mate, nice insight.

Hey Deemanding How was Lachy Delahunty been going over there? I used to live with him in VIC and always thought he might take the next step.

Hey mate, yeah pretty well, got 2 flags in his first 2 years and played for WA - I think it might have been last year. Was injured for a pretty much all of the 2nd half of the season until finals though.

Plays as an undersized ruckman a lot of the time but gets plenty of possessions.

What's going against him being drafted would be his age and the fact that someone his size would find it difficult to play his role at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back