List Mgmt. 2016 Draft/Trade/Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If McCarthy wants to play in the AFL then he can play for the team that drafted him and suck it up for the entire rest of his contract. If he wants to stay at home in WA then he can easily quit tomorrow and play in the WAFL, never having to leave his home town. I have less than zero sympathy and I hope GWS get decent value or reject a trade.

If McCarthy wants to play in the AFL then he can play for the team that drafted him and suck it up for the entire rest of his contract. If he wants to stay at home in WA then he can easily quit tomorrow and play in the WAFL, never having to leave his home town. I have less than zero sympathy and I hope GWS get decent value or reject a trade.
i actually admire the way they have handled it... not many clubs would have the balls. why would you want mcarthy now? he just come across as someone who cant handle it when the going gets tough and cracks the shits when he doesnt get his own way

How's this for speculation?
What are the things we know about Tom? What have Tom & his dad Barry said repetitively about this situation?
They've both told us how Tom loves it in Sydney, has many friends there & is very settled.
We also know that GWS are still bleeding over the whole Buddy deal that left them blindsided & are still chasing retribution.

They have money to spend & they will challenge for multiple p'ships in Tommy's prime years in the game. I think it is more feasible that Tom goes to GWS than to Hawthorn. The Hawks are restricted in how much they will give Tom, not so much because they might not have the money but more so that paying Tom way overs to get him will throw the balance of payments to other much loved multiple p'ship players out of whack. I can't see it happening. No such problems at GWS. They need to offload some other stars not getting regular games that are superfluous to their needs.

Tommy goes straight into the middle at GWS & they have enough outside run meaning Tommy won't have the demands of two way running placed on him as he does at the Swans. His job will be to just get the ball out of the middle, his biggest asset & then leave the rest to the outside guns that can hit targets better than any other team in the league. Now we can throw in the bonus for Tom. Barry continues to be an interstate scout for GWS watching future opponents of GWS play here in Melbourne, without having his salary included in the salary cap as Tom Scully's dad does after the controversy when Scully signed on. Barry, as an ex assistant coach has more credentials than Scully would so no problems there as far as convincing the AFL not to include his payments in the salary cap.
Now for looking after the club he is leaving! Well to be honest, of all the teams in the AFL, GWS have more to offer in terms of players to trade or high draft pick. It is more likely that GWS give Tom 700K per year & 150K to Barry than the Hawks giving him 600K per year & 100K to Barry. Can't see the Hawks doing it.

So what do we get? Jack Steele is an Academy product from Canberra. That would be a win. His skills are pretty much better than 95% of our list. He holds his feet & can play inside & outside. He is a goal kicker & can defend. We need a defender. Marchbank can do the job. Of course there will be a shuffling of draft picks as per usual but these are just a few examples doing a deal that suits all parties. GWS are by far the best team to lose a player to because they have more to offer. The next best team would be Gold Coast as they also have money to spend & player & high picks to trade. These two clubs will be more 'generous' to deal with than a Vic club. The only other Vic club that makes sense is Melbourne as rumours are that we have an interest in Tom McDonald.

Just my thoughts & pure speculation!

From the moment i knew how close he and coniglio were I always thought he was a flight risk to GWS.

Still want him to re-sign though.

What are the things we know about Tom? What have Tom & his dad Barry said repetitively about this situation?
They've both told us how Tom loves it in Sydney, has many friends there & is very settled.
We also know that GWS are still bleeding over the whole Buddy deal that left them blindsided & are still chasing retribution.

They have money to spend & they will challenge for multiple p'ships in Tommy's prime years in the game. I think it is more feasible that Tom goes to GWS than to Hawthorn. The Hawks are restricted in how much they will give Tom, not so much because they might not have the money but more so that paying Tom way overs to get him will throw the balance of payments to other much loved multiple p'ship players out of whack. I can't see it happening. No such problems at GWS. They need to offload some other stars not getting regular games that are superfluous to their needs.

Tommy goes straight into the middle at GWS & they have enough outside run meaning Tommy won't have the demands of two way running placed on him as he does at the Swans. His job will be to just get the ball out of the middle, his biggest asset & then leave the rest to the outside guns that can hit targets better than any other team in the league. Now we can throw in the bonus for Tom. Barry continues to be an interstate scout for GWS watching future opponents of GWS play here in Melbourne, without having his salary included in the salary cap as Tom Scully's dad does after the controversy when Scully signed on. Barry, as an ex assistant coach has more credentials than Scully would so no problems there as far as convincing the AFL not to include his payments in the salary cap.
Now for looking after the club he is leaving! Well to be honest, of all the teams in the AFL, GWS have more to offer in terms of players to trade or high draft pick. It is more likely that GWS give Tom 700K per year & 150K to Barry than the Hawks giving him 600K per year & 100K to Barry. Can't see the Hawks doing it.

So what do we get? Jack Steele is an Academy product from Canberra. That would be a win. His skills are pretty much better than 95% of our list. He holds his feet & can play inside & outside. He is a goal kicker & can defend. We need a defender. Marchbank can do the job. Of course there will be a shuffling of draft picks as per usual but these are just a few examples doing a deal that suits all parties. GWS are by far the best team to lose a player to because they have more to offer. The next best team would be Gold Coast as they also have money to spend & player & high picks to trade. These two clubs will be more 'generous' to deal with than a Vic club. The only other Vic club that makes sense is Melbourne as rumours are that we have an interest in Tom McDonald.

can see that happening, if essendon dont offer up their 1st pick for a couple of giants

Well thought out and interesting post!

Personally I don't think GWS would be in a salary cap position to offer Mitchell much more than we can, particularly as their cap is going to be squeezed hard over the next few years as they try to keep hold of their plethora of high draft pick kids. If he's really looking for a pay increase you'd have to think it's teams like Carlton or Richmond who would be in a better position to offer him a bigger pay packet.

There is more to the mccathey situation than home sickness..

There is more to the mccathey situation than home sickness..
So again, he can work on it at the club he was assigned to (who he is still receiving payments from) or he can leave the AFL and play in the WAFL.

Re Mitchell. He would be GWS' fifth best midfielder and would play in a pocket for significant minutes or something. At the Swans he's at least the 4th best.

Won't happen. He'll end up somewhere he's #1/#2

Re Mitchell. He would be GWS' fifth best midfielder and would play in a pocket for significant minutes or something. At the Swans he's at least the 4th best.

Won't happen. He'll end up somewhere he's #1/#2
Carlton Football Club Likes This

Sorry for the intrusion, but after your opinions on Toby Nankervis? Is he currently 4th in line behind Tippett, Sinclair & Naismith? Is he a required player or do you think you'll look at trading him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion, but after your opinions on Toby Nankervis? Is he currently 4th in line behind Tippett, Sinclair & Naismith? Is he a required player or do you think you'll look at trading him?
4th in line sounds about right at this stage. I'd like to see him stay but reports suggest he'll request a trade.

From a fan perspective he's probably 3rd behind Tippett and Naismith. Sinclair is a dirty word in these parts.

He's still very young but already knows how to throw his weight around in the contest. I don't think we'd be looking to trade him, but there could be a case where another club offers him more opportunity. You think the Suns would be sniffing around him?

4th in line sounds about right at this stage. I'd like to see him stay but reports suggest he'll request a trade.
Has there actually been anything suggesting he'd request a trade? The only stuff I've seen is a few hypotheticals on BigFooty

Has there actually been anything suggesting he'd request a trade? The only stuff I've seen is a few hypotheticals on BigFooty
Hypotheticals on BF, well he's gone then!

Always amusing when you read hypotheticals on BF then days later one of those flog journos is writing about it as a probable trade. Think BF is fertile ground for slack and lazy journos :)

From a fan perspective he's probably 3rd behind Tippett and Naismith. Sinclair is a dirty word in these parts.

He's still very young but already knows how to throw his weight around in the contest. I don't think we'd be looking to trade him, but there could be a case where another club offers him more opportunity. You think the Suns would be sniffing around him?
Not sure. Rumours and speculation that some Melb clubs could be looking at Tom Nicholls, and as soon as Dan Currie was fit, Nicholls was dropped. I don't think he'll stay. That means we only have 1 genuine ruckman on our list. I really liked what I saw when you played Melb in the wet a month back. He gives a real contest and surprised he's been in the NEAFL.

More of a fwd/ruck than a ruck/fwd IMO

Will need to build a tank before being number 1. I would then see him being more in the Mumford mould of ruck.

Value is difficult. Have any good kicks on wing/hbf that you have that can play and need a new home?

Not sure. Rumours and speculation that some Melb clubs could be looking at Tom Nicholls, and as soon as Dan Currie was fit, Nicholls was dropped. I don't think he'll stay. That means we only have 1 genuine ruckman on our list. I really liked what I saw when you played Melb in the wet a month back. He gives a real contest and surprised he's been in the NEAFL.
cant fault his endeavour, and the bloke knows how to play footy. his only real knock is that his athleticism is below par

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back