2016 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Beyoncé released her new album Lemonade yesterday. It premiered on HBO in the states and it's much darker than her other stuff & a mix of a lot of genres. The movie with it is awesome. Has some good features too (Kendrick, Jack White, James Blake & The Weeknd)

Bey & Kendrick

Bey & Jack White.

That was harsh but ultimately I find her status to be bloated and overrated. Honestly, Taylor Swift has had more hits off one album than the genuine blinders Beyonce's put out in her solo career. I mean Single Ladies is pretty s**t. It's just repetitive and not in the 'so good, don't stop it' way that Crazy In Love was or 1 Thing is. Ultimately I find her a pop star perpetuated by a myth outside of her music. Which in some ways is an incredible sign of cultural resonance but it's also a sign of not making the greatest songs ever.

She's basically just a pop Radiohead if Radiohead didn't make good songs and just made a career out of surprise releases. Zzzzzzzz.

That was harsh but ultimately I find her status to be bloated and overrated. Honestly, Taylor Swift has had more hits off one album than the genuine blinders Beyonce's put out in her solo career. I mean Single Ladies is pretty s**t. It's just repetitive and not in the 'so good, don't stop it' way that Crazy In Love was or 1 Thing is. Ultimately I find her a pop star perpetuated by a myth outside of her music. Which in some ways is an incredible sign of cultural resonance but it's also a sign of not making the greatest songs ever.

She's basically just a pop Radiohead if Radiohead didn't make good songs and just made a career out of surprise releases. Zzzzzzzz.

She has much, much better songs than the ones you listed imo.

Single Ladies might be her most popular songs but it's one of her worst.

Taylor Swift hasn't got s**t on Beyonce talent wise. You might actually find you like some of her songs if you didn't have some pre conceived idea about her like you obviously do.

Beyonce can't play instruments and has lesser lyrics than Taylor. Who cares about talent in popular music anyway, but ultimately Taylor kills her in that department.

Beyonce can't play instruments and has lesser lyrics than Taylor. Who cares about talent in popular music anyway, but ultimately Taylor kills her in that department.

I've never been a Beyonce fan or considered her a great icon. plus I don't believe she writes her own songs or creates her own image, jay z probably has a lot of control over her music and image.

Lemonade makes sense and is pretty destructive and powerful as a 'visual album' than listening to it as a straight 12 track.

Don't care for Swift, so not about to compare, but it's like why would you. I'd say they're playing two very different games of the same sport, but you can't even really put a label on what Lemonade is. It's great.

I've never been a Beyonce fan or considered her a great icon. plus I don't believe she writes her own songs or creates her own image, jay z probably has a lot of control over her music and image.

Doubt it when Beyonce's dropping lines on Rachel Roy. Jay Z's irrelevancy over these past few years, is pretty remarkable. Throne was only 2011, but Magna was weak and his overall image now is just Tidal suit.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth.

The third album from Simpson, a Kentucky native that is country at heart, but not boxed in by genres.
His last album was Gram Parson's style cosmic cowboy stuff taken to another level. This latest album is a letter to his newborn son, told through song.

The Dap Kings horn section take his sound to a Stax type soul review while his voice remains one of the greatest in the world and he cannot hide, nor does he want to, his country roots.

He is one of the greatest and most creative artists in the world today and this album is a prime example of this. Magnificent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't gotten around to giving Julien Baker a proper listen, apart from a couple of songs. When I saw her album cover, I immediately though she is identical of another Julian.

image.jpg

Julian Casablancas.

image.jpg

Got my ticket for Smith Street Band. Loved them before seeing them at Laneway, but their Laneway set made them my favourite band.

https://soundcloud. com/local-natives/pastlives Loving Local Natives' first track since their cracking 2013 album.

Was officially released late last year, but late enough for it to be considered a 2016 track. I still have to check out his album.

Car Seat Headrest's new album is looking very promising. That is probably the best single off of it so far.

May is shaping up as a big music for me. Hotelier, Doomsquad, Death Grips, Car Seat Headrest and potentially James Blake all releasing albums. I feel like there's some I'm forgetting too.

EDIT: Doomsquad dropped like 12 hours ago. Neat.

Last edited:
In cracking form, because not only had Doomsquad dropped, but Death Grips had leaked.

Doomsquad - Total Time: Obscure cluster*. Exactly what I signed up for. Doesn't live up to their first album, but can't really complain with their only being 1 weak track. Lord knows why psychedelic trance works, but it really does here. Favourite Tracks: Pyramids On Mars, Farmer's Almanac, Solar Ass, Collective Insanity, It's The Nail That Counts, Not The Rope, Russian Gaze. 8/10

Drake - VIEWS:
Torn here. Some of the tracks that are good are very good, but it goes for too long, and I got bored at times throughout. Feel like 14 tracks would have been better. Kanye has probably comfortably beaten Drake this year, though this isn't a bad effort by any means. Favourite Tracks: 9, Views, Weston Road Flows, Summer's Over Interlude, Keep the Family Close, Still Here, With You, Childs Play, One Dance. 7/10

Death Grips - Bottomless Pit:
One track is missing in the leak, but this is insanely good. This reminds me how much potential these crazy bastards have, as did Jenny Death last year - though this is probably better than that. They continue to change with each work, and it's consistently impressive and refreshing. Comfortably my favourite album of the year so far. Favourite Tracks: Ring A Bell, Bottomless Pit, Trash, Spikes, Three Bedrooms in a Good Neighbourhood, Hot Head, BB Poison, Giving Bad People Good Ideas. 9/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back