List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Needs...

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

draft-range.jpg

His performances at the Combine and late in the year have rocketed Bonar into first-round calculations. It would be a surprise to see him still on the board into the 20s now, and there are also whispers he could sneak into the first dozen.
Beast

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Carlton are going to have a dynamite side sorry to say
The New GWS mirror site recruiting ground :p ......however Murphy IIRC is 30, Simpson 30+ .......and the experts said GWS would be unbeatable, the AFL system has a habit of getting your plans scittled

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The New GWS mirror site recruiting ground :p ......however Murphy IIRC is 30, Simpson 30+ .......and the experts said GWS would be unbeatable, the AFL system has a habit of getting your plans scittled
True , but being Carlton they will have natural attraction for trade targets once they come good . Guys that want to play in a successful club at a big Melbourne club

I think GWS may have peaked already

True , but being Carlton they will have natural attraction for trade targets once they come good . Guys that want to play in a successful club at a big Melbourne club

With all the player departures in recent years, the talent at GWS is drying up. Combine that with some nearly-finished mature players and it's not looking as good for them.

They certainly don't have the massive stockpile of young talent outside their best 22 that they once did

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Maybe ......but Richmond & Essendon will be competitors for that trade target home

Crows are viewed as one of the best development clubs in the AFL, rivalled by Sydney ......oops, whats that say about our Coaches ??

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only thing is, we look at the mature top picks they already had last year (Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy etc) and they weren't that good.

Previously had Judd in the mix with a host of other players, still a basket case.

I agree on paper they will become very solid, but GWS-lite minus the star forwards is hardly going to get places without exemplary coaching. But Bolton could push them in the right direction.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
With all the player departures in recent years, the talent at GWS is drying up. Combine that with some nearly-finished mature players and it's not looking as good for them.

They certainly don't have the massive stockpile of young talent outside their best 22 that they once did
Trading promising young players for unders 90% of the time probably hasn't helped them.

ThreeLeggedCrow

Debutant
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You cannot always get players who are all rounded so I am all for building a team around extreme players who excel at one facet of the game so that it rubs off on the rest of the team. What they excel in can be mental or physical. There is always something to learn. What do the Crows lack ?

Jenkins4

All Australian
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
JJ was on AA this year and said the only thing holding Doedee back was his disposal and he would have been given a run if not for this, once that is cleaned up he will get his opportunity I commented on it at the time on thsi board

I watched him against the bays and it stood out like dogs balls critical time coming out of D and it was turned over thank god or the bays would have lost

Keep thinking what you like its the only thing holding him back, why do you think he has been given a game in two years? Because they dont like his haircut!

You do know you can only keep this charade for so long.

As soon as he plays a few games and people see his disposal is fine, you will have to quickly backtrack.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Agreed, someone we'd only look at with Pick 39 if at all but I certainly noticed when he played here against the Rebels in August Oscar was a far more rounded player than I'd seen last year, needs to work on his core strength which in a professional environment is very achievable.
I've got Oscar ranked late 20's in my power rankings. Definitely a very good interceptor on his day, he's one that could definitely play a role as a very good intercepting 3rd tall defender, or potentially as a 1st or 2nd KPD, down the track.

I have Petty ranked higher, though

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Who was it that was saying Oscar Claravino was "only" a lock down defender??
It was me ......and that was b4 this quote from Bishop
Clavarino I have concerns over, at times he's timid/soft - and he drops a lot of marks. One List Manager said at the start of the year they wouldn't draft him. So it's definitely a concern.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS

People over reacted to how good GWS would be - consensus was premiership inevitable

Now people over reacting to their relatively down year this year. Where they came top 4 despite big injury problems

If they can get a clear run with injury, and with a more mobile forward line, they are set for a strong year

Smith the only meaningful loss. And he hasn’t put together an injury free run for ages, so it’s not like they are losing someone they have relied on during the last two years

Don’t think losing Hoskin-Elliot or Matt Kennedy will be a factor.

Still lots of talent there from Kelly and Shiel and Cameron through to Taranto and Setterfield...

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

Carlton should’ve had a dynamite side at some stage in the last 15 years but it’s obvious that early 1st round picks and bringing in top young talent means nothing if you haven’t got the right club culture, coaches and staff to develop them both individually and into a team...

Just look at Carlton’s end of minor round from 2017 to 2003 ladder position.. 16, 14, 18, 13, 8, 10, 5, 8, 7, 11, 15, 16, 16, 11, 15....

So 3 times Carlton have come bottom in the last 15 years... only on 4 occasions have they made the 8.. 2 of those times they just scraped in at 8th, never made the top 4 in 15 years.

Throughout these 15 years they’ve been gifted a shiteload of early first round picks and a few no.1’s plus they’ve pinched several great young lads from GWS that were very early 1st round picks.. in reality, they’ve been gifted more early 1st round picks than GWS ever have!.... and what has resulted from all these great young players coming to the Carlton club over the past 15 years?.... well, the results are there for all to see.. absolute and utter mediocrity.

It’s almost like first round draft picks are a recreational drug to Carlton... they are hooked on them, can’t get enough of them... they get all this great young talent with them and totally waste it.

People over reacted to how good GWS would be - consensus was premiership inevitable

Now people over reacting to their relatively down year this year. Where they came top 4 despite big injury problems

If they can get a clear run with injury, and with a more mobile forward line, they are set for a strong year

Smith the only meaningful loss. And he hasn’t put together an injury free run for ages, so it’s not like they are losing someone they have relied on during the last two years

Don’t think losing Hoskin-Elliot or Matt Kennedy will be a factor.

Still lots of talent there from Kelly and Shiel and Cameron through to Taranto and Setterfield...

They've lost Smith, M. Kennedy and Wilson who were all best 22 or thereabouts, plus Stevie J and Mumford. There are question marks over whether Griffen and Deledio will ever offer anything.

Don't get me wrong, they still have a very good side, but they don't have the depth of talent they used to have. The bottom 10 players of their squad include names such as Dawson Simpson, Sam Reid, Daniel Lloyd, Tom Downie, Jeremy Finlayson, Matthew Flynn, Lachlan Tiziani. They actually played De Boer and Mzungu at times this year. Previously that list used to be flush with first round picks.

rezagun

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are so unpredictable with the draft its kind of refreshing compared to team selection.
Fogarty or Bonar wouldbe great gets imo. But it wouldnt surprise me if we reach for a kid we know * all about. Hamish has a good eye.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
We are so unpredictable with the draft its kind of refreshing compared to team selection.
Fogarty or Bonar wouldbe great gets imo. But it wouldnt surprise me if we reach for a kid we know **** all about. Hamish has a good eye.

Back