No Oppo Supporters 2017 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the Essendon board because they pushed the drug scandal
I hate the Essendon players because they claim innocence despite the knowledge they had and they still chose to act against the rules
I hate their coaches for cheating
I hate their fans for defending their actions
I hate certain members of the media for defending their actions
I hate the way the AFL attempted to cover them up and absolve them of any indiscretion while punishing the Swans for actually following the rules

It wasn't just a couple bad eggs.

Zaharakis is generally the only "good bloke" to come out of the whole thing.

I hate the Essendon board because they pushed the drug scandal
I hate the Essendon players because they claim innocence despite the knowledge they had and they still chose to act against the rules
I hate their coaches for cheating
I hate their fans for defending their actions
I hate certain members of the media for defending their actions
I hate the way the AFL attempted to cover them up and absolve them of any indiscretion while punishing the Swans for actually following the rules

It wasn't just a couple bad eggs.

I agree with you about the board , the coaches and the AFL. But I look at a club as their players and fans first and foremost, and I don't think the players or fans acted any differently than any of us would act if it happened at our club.

I know its very unlikely that we wont win this years flag, however in the unlikely event we don't, i hope Essendon win it and James Hird has to present the norm smith medal to Jobe Watson.

I agree with you about the board , the coaches and the AFL. But I look at a club as their players and fans first and foremost, and I don't think the players or fans acted any differently than any of us would act if it happened at our club.
If the fans believe the players innocent then why did the boo Ryder? By their logic he's done nothing wrong

If the fans believe the players innocent then why did the boo Ryder? By their logic he's done nothing wrong

For leaving I'm assuming? I don't think the fans think they're innocent. I have a mate whose an Essendon supporter and he knew his club and the rest of the supporters were backed into a corner by the facts, but standing by them and supporting them is better than feeling sorry for themselves and hating their own players. I can fully understand that. Isn't that the way fans are supposed to support their club, Through thick and thin ?

For leaving I'm assuming? I don't think the fans think they're innocent. I have a mate whose an Essendon supporter and he knew his club and the rest of the supporters were backed into a corner by the facts, but standing by them and supporting them is better than feeling sorry for themselves and hating their own players. I can fully understand that. Isn't that the way fans are supposed to support their club, Through thick and thin ?
What I've been seeing from Don's fans is not accepting that their players where guilty. What I've been seeing from fans is they still claim the players to be the victim. They were culpable and knew exactly what was up.

Stand by your team? Yes, claim innocence? No

What I've been seeing from Don's fans is not accepting that their players where guilty. What I've been seeing from fans is they still claim the players to be the victim. They were culpable and knew exactly what was up.

Stand by your team? Yes, claim innocence? No

But as I said i think it's just easier for them to have blind devotion than acknowledge their players who they love and support were in the wrong. Until we know that level of disappointment as fans I guess we can't really judge them.

I've tried to not get too up to up to date with the scandal. One question, did all the players know, did some or none of them what was being injected and that it was illegal?

I'm obviously an outlier on this one but if the Swans did it I'd dump the club and stop following. It's no different when the whole Super League thing came in - I haven't been to a game since and have no intention to... I couldn't even tell you who made the finals last year.

I'm not going to keep going down this hole again but when your club systematically and intentionally cheats, then has the audacity to cry poor on the matter then they've totally lost me.... forever... they were probably my second team when Hird was playing now they're just a bunch of sycophants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

150 games for Lewis Jetta. Some awesome ones for us in there.
Still remember his first goal against the Hawks after kicking like 18 behinds before that.

I saw Lewis out front of the MCG at the granny last year, Swans scarf hanging proudly around his neck. Wished him all the best and his reply was simply Go Swans and a big smile (obviously it was BEFORE the game)!
Such a lovely young man and glad he finally seems to be hitting his straps at the Eagles.

Loved Jets. His best was awesome. He has a beautiful long accurate kick (which is kinda funny given the start to his goalkicking). He could burn off anyone. The last year or so with us he was asked to play a role not suited to him because his previous role was "dated" and had been coached against quite well. He went from tearing down a wing or being that "slingshot" player on the outside to a "in congestion", dodge & weave type which I don't think suited him. Bit of a shame he couldn't fully take that new role and start to tear midfields apart but at the end of the day he moved for family as much as anything. He'll always be a premiership Swan & that makes me happy.

I know footy is not an athletics carnival, but gee those foot races with Jetta involved - in particular the run to an open goal vs Collingwood, 2012 Prelim, and the following week vs Rioli - not often will everyone in the whole stadium rise to their feet.

Well done Jets. We loved your work!

2012 Prelim. Jetta's glorious run probably cost us CoLA but it was worth it!

One of my great memories was cheering for what seemed like forever when he broke from the back of the square, then catching my breath and realising he still had another 40m to run.

Loved Jets. His best was awesome. He has a beautiful long accurate kick (which is kinda funny given the start to his goalkicking). He could burn off anyone. The last year or so with us he was asked to play a role not suited to him because his previous role was "dated" and had been coached against quite well. He went from tearing down a wing or being that "slingshot" player on the outside to a "in congestion", dodge & weave type which I don't think suited him. Bit of a shame he couldn't fully take that new role and start to tear midfields apart but at the end of the day he moved for family as much as anything. He'll always be a premiership Swan & that makes me happy.

I actually really rated his 2015 with us. I thought his ball use was superb. Shame it finished with a whimper, not a bang.

Edit: just looked it up on footywire. Ranked #19th for metres gained in the league that year - putting him in impressive company.
His highest avg. disposals per game, too, and best disposal efficiency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back