2017 International Rules Series to be played at Adelaide Oval and Domain Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs happy for players to play international rules but not SOO, go figure.

This isn't held mid season and the physical element is a lot less intense

No idea how this is still going...

How does anybody care?

youd have to have your head under a rock with any interest in football and do not know both the historical commitments stretching back 50 years now - and the ongoing commitment the AFL and football community have made particularly in the last 20 years. Its not AR, and its not GF , but its a great game in its own right and well worth the effort. I think its great as a game, great as a concept, and great to watch. ie.. .definitely a fan!

youd have to have your head under a rock with any interest in football and do not know both the historical commitments stretching back 50 years now - and the ongoing commitment the AFL and football community have made particularly in the last 20 years. Its not AR, and its not GF , but its a great game in its own right and well worth the effort. I think its great as a game, great as a concept, and great to watch. ie.. .definitely a fan!

Wouldn't say I hang out for it, but the negativity from people circlejerking over how cool they are because they don't care is amusing.

Should be well attended again.

I think the AFL side has a good mix of inside mid type players, good skillful ball players who keep things moving. They dont need to rely on pure physical strength or size to dominate. Where I think they are lacking this year is in defence. There doesnt really seem to be any shut down type defender in the side, more a case of a lot of half back flankers who can do a job and it seems the Aussie side is putting emphasis on ball possession and playing rather than containing.

The Irish side has no Dublin player involved. Dublin have won the last 3 championships in a row, easily getting to the final and although they dont win the finals as easy, they are without doubt the best in the country by a distance. They have some excellent athletic players that would be absolutely perfect for this hybrid game. Commitment to their local club game which is still ongoing in hurling and football and also a rest after a long season the reason for not committing. You also have to factor in that some players wouldnt be able to get the extended time off work (some teachers etc) so that would be a reason some players wont go. The only team to really trouble Dublin over the last few years is Mayo, and they only have 2 reps on the squad. The Irish strength is the ability to play comfortably with the ball and kicking and technical skills will be better for the most part. They always suffer in the physicality and tackling, they have a couple of strong tall players who can mark, but overall, the quality is low enough to what it could potentially be.

you also aren't alone in Australia hoping your players dont play. There is a general apathy to the whole concept over here too and many Dublin fans happy their players are not travelling.

They may not have any Dublin players but I see a few Cork players on the list! Seem to remember some funny banter on the Irish Gaelic Football forum last time around on the merits (or not :p ) of the Cork players :D

They may not have any Dublin players but I see a few Cork players on the list! Seem to remember some funny banter on the Irish Gaelic Football forum last time around on the merits (or not :p ) of the Cork players :D

yeah Cork arent exactly going great these days either. Eoin Cadogan is the player on the squad, an older player who was playing hurling for Cork before switching over to football. An average enough player, likes to play the hard man. Powter, the guy on reserve is an excellent young pacy half back.

I don't think it has anything to do with heads under rocks and historical commitment.

Just couldn't give a * tbh

Doesn't achieve anything.

There's nothing at stake.

And the game kind of sucks.

I don't think it has anything to do with heads under rocks and historical commitment.

Just couldn't give a **** tbh

Doesn't achieve anything.

There's nothing at stake.

And the game kind of sucks.

each to their own mate; im dont feel any need to argue over it: what i dont understand is why those who dont like it though feel some stramge particular pride in being killjoys for those of us who do. too many people just cant wait to drag it down while casually claiming ‘they dont care’. cant inderstand why others are so invested in denying others a pretty simple pleasure of what is a pretty simple concept

Perhaps we need two threads; one to discuss the actual upcoming games for those who are interested in them and one to discusss the pros and cons of having a series at all.

Agreed. Along with a fair few others, I genuinely enjoy international rules and want to discuss the game without being told by other people that they think it's crap.

Last edited:
Gil had a press conference this morning and spoke about taking this series very seriously. He really wants to win it.

I find it funny that the people who complain about not having representative footy are the same ones that complain about having a representation game...

We're not getting SOO, get over it and embrace IR because it's the closest thing we have to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back