Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He could definitely have a breakout year. I saw most of his games, and his marking and athleticism was impressive. I think he'll be one of your best performed forwards this year and even if he isn't one of the best few players in RS contention for this year, I think he'll be one of the top few breaking out among Carlton's younger players.

Hopefully we crack the RS this year - third time lucky I hope with misses in previous years with good young players in Cripps and Weitering.

C Curnow (injury/illness most of 2016), J Silvagni, H McKay (injured most of 2016) and D Cuningham (injured for fair swag of 2016) are very good chances as second year players. Obviously last year's draftee in SPS is a good chance, but there are two smokies I wouldn't rule out in Fisher (slight, but speedy, brave, and always involved) and Poulson (very speedy, and a good kick) - both very impressive to date and ready to go in a side that will give opportunities to some impressive youngsters.

Last edited:
I think you can play finals. Last year playing the kids have put you in a good position in 2017 - it is the flip side with us needing this year to get games into our 2014 and 2015 draft years and working out who will make it at this level. Durdin, Nielson, EVW, McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner all need to get games.

We could also do with a couple of bottom 4 finishes to get some top end talent - the early word is the top end talent in 2017 will be very good. Looking at the Dogs you can bounce back quickly by drafting well. Also not a bad time to bottom out and wait for the Giants to start to fall.

I have you battling with the Dees, Saints, Port and the Eagles for 7th and 8th. My gut says you miss but I also have essendon as the hardest to place of all 18 teams. Concerns over your forward line, Joe's goal kicking and not knowing how the suspended players will return make it near impossible to predict - but hey - if anyone can get close its going to be me.;)

Gibson, Hanson, Swallow, Waite need to be pushed out of the best 22 by the kids you Ess have Stanton, Goddard, Bird, Howlett and Kelly need to be out of your side by years end. Getting the top end talent in and playing the kids have put you a couple years in front of us. Your kids are closer to being ready to step up and replace these players.

I am pretty similar I have finishing anywhere from 6th to 14th. So hard to know

A) How long will it take the returning players to regain form and fit the team.

B) How will there bodies react to a full season. Will they run it out or need to take breaks.

I am pretty similar I have finishing anywhere from 6th to 14th. So hard to know

A) How long will it take the returning players to regain form and fit the team.

B) How will there bodies react to a full season. Will they run it out or need to take breaks.
Wins will be harder in 2017 - maybe the lowest amount to make the 8 in a long time. Saints and Dees are no longer easy beats, obviously Ess will be much better, Blues are much more competitive under Bolton, bris maybe under Fagan, Port, Pies and Tigers are all cabable and the coaches will be wanting wins to survive 17. It's all pointing to a cracking season.

I have you battling with the Dees, Saints, Port and the Eagles for 7th and 8th. My gut says you miss but I also have essendon as the hardest to place of all 18 teams. Concerns over your forward line, Joe's goal kicking and not knowing how the suspended players will return make it near impossible to predict - but hey - if anyone can get close its going to be me.;)

I don't think our forward line will be the issue this season (unless you we just kick behinds). I see our inside midfield as the biggest issue atm for our side as it was our big problem last season with sides just walking the ball out at will once they got going.

With Myers looking like he's going to continue being perennially injured we are a Watson injury away from our inside midfield pretty much being last year's squad plus Heppell.

I really doubt francis has the fitness levels/will get enough games to win this award. He's probably our brightest youngster but yeah, has alot of trouble with his body right now.

Hopper should win this award for mine.

Brodie and Clarke will put up a bit of resistance.

Marchbank is also still eligible I believe, who may be a show potentially, probably wont win it being a 3rd year player.

Of the first year players I think Brodie has the best chance to take out the award. Dominated VFL players in a couple of outings last season and doesn't appear to have any issue at AFL level.

Among all eligible players my money would be on Hopper. He was impressive last season and established himself as best-22 by season's end. Can easily see him average 20 to 22 disposals per game for GWS and that'd be enough to take out the award most seasons.

Of the first year players I think Brodie has the best chance to take out the award. Dominated VFL players in a couple of outings last season and doesn't appear to have any issue at AFL level.

Among all eligible players my money would be on Hopper. He was impressive last season and established himself as best-22 by season's end. Can easily see him average 20 to 22 disposals per game for GWS and that'd be enough to take out the award most seasons.
Brodie has never had more than 20 possessions a game will be interesting to see can lift he's workrate now he's in the AFL system

Brodie has never had more than 20 possessions a game will be interesting to see can lift he's workrate now he's in the AFL system

Typo? He averaged 21 disposals over his 4 championship games.
Thinks he's a great chance, his high contested and clearance rate should translate well, and should carry some decent weight with the voters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The betting after the JLT has changed dramatically. We now have 5 players that are equal fav at $11.
Clarke Roos
Fiorini Suns
Pepper Powell Port
McGrath Ess
Hooper GWS.

Then another 5 at $12.
Ainsworth Suns
McCluggage Bris
Francis Ess
Brodie Suns
Taranto GWS
Brodie Suns

Don't understand how Clarke is a favourite after his JLT form?

Still feel like Milera is being massively underrated, even without Crows bias
Clarke was great last year - and a freed up midfield where he can flourish will open up his chances a lot. He's also a very attractive player to watch.

I agree re Milera; I think he's a beauty and will definitely be up there.

Tom Phillips. Impressed by the games he's played.
Didn't know enough about him to know he was eligible.

Well, any Hawks fans who try to claim Burton should be considered a chance at this is simply delusional. He's been putrid this preseason and looks like a poor man's Schoenmakers at the moment.
So I spend way too much lurking, but I swear this is the third thread I have seen you plant this exact comment. Getting any bites?

Don't understand how Clarke is a favourite after his JLT form?

Still feel like Milera is being massively underrated, even without Crows bias
The betting shows this is wide open and there is no stand out as yet.

Clarke had 27 touches - 15 contested v Pies last year. Another pre season and the opportunities with all the retirements to get games does not surprise he is one of the favs.

Have not seen any crows games this JLT so not sure what Milera has done.

Back