Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticeable two big changes to body shape since last year. Lovell has lost a lot of the puppy fat looks leaner but still has those thunder thighs and Burton is starting to look like an athlete. These two will surprise I feel as they both have the right work ethic and talent.

Some clubs will be embarrassed!

View attachment 335955
Both those players should have more impact this season than last year.

Burton had an interrupted first pre-season due to his leg injury and I've been reading that he's a lot more advanced this pre-season in the work he's been doing. Rather than coming into the side in the back end of last year, he should be able to have an impact from round 1 I reckon and I'd assume he would play HB which was where he was playing last year but he could play forward if need be.

Lovell impressed in the couple of games he played last year and like Burton, he should be better this year by having a season under his belt. Considering Lewis and S Mitchell have left and despite the acquisitions of T Mitchell and JOM, I think Lovell will definitely get more opportunity this year. It's important that one of your younger or fringe midfielders step up this year and whether that's an O'Rourke, Langford or a Lovell I'm not sure but it would be a big help if one of them does cement themselves in the lineup.

Burton only really played 1 game at HB. He filled in for the (suspended?) Sicily and broke even with what Sicily produces on avg as a fwd. Then played a game in the midfield rotation the next week. Did enough to hold his spot then played HB against the pies and was BOG imo.

Started at HB against geelong and has again was one of our best in the 1st q. Pulled his calf just before quarter time.

Yes Burton may be a HB but with other positions opening up he could slot into one of those as well.

One things for sure he will play 22 games and he already knows how to make an impact.

Im considering him in SC but at his ptice 200+ its a tough buy to fit in. Needs to be watch in the jlc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Burton only really played 1 game at HB. He filled in for the (suspended?) Sicily and broke even with what Sicily produces on avg as a fwd. Then played a game in the midfield rotation the next week. Did enough to hold his spot then played HB against the pies and was BOG imo.

Started at HB against geelong and has again was one of our best in the 1st q. Pulled his calf just before quarter time.

Yes Burton may be a HB but with other positions opening up he could slot into one of those as well.

One things for sure he will play 22 games and he already knows how to make an impact.

Im considering him in SC but at his ptice 200+ its a tough buy to fit in. Needs to be watch in the jlc.

Should be good to watch Burton this year. Also interested to see what Dan Howe can do. Not eligible for the rising star but keen to see what impact he may have this year. Think he's mainly played a mix of back and midfield.

McCluggage will show why he was the best player last year IMO. That said, they'll probably go for McGrath, Ainsworth or Hopper.
Those four players would be my most likely to take it out. Maybe Francis if he plays the majority of the season as well. Think he's been training with the forwards and I reckon he could make a real impact up there alongside Daniher and Hooker.

Those four players would be my most likely to take it out. Maybe Francis if he plays the majority of the season as well. Think he's been training with the forwards and I reckon he could make a real impact up there alongside Daniher and Hooker.
I'm not sure about Francis' tank to be honest. He is injured at the moment and I'm not sure when he will be back or how it will affect his preparation. He'll be great when he is on, but I think we'll have to wait another year before he really starts to show how good he is. He'll have really good games, but I do expect inconsistency. I expect the other 4 to be more consistent

I'm not sure about Francis' tank to be honest. He is injured at the moment and I'm not sure when he will be back or how it will affect his preparation. He'll be great when he is on, but I think we'll have to wait another year before he really starts to show how good he is. He'll have really good games, but I do expect inconsistency. I expect the other 4 to be more consistent
Fair enough, they can probably only play him mainly deep in the forward line you'd think.

I reckon he can still make an impact there but like you said his tank will need to improve and he may struggle to get involved in the game at times. He doesn't have the endurance to push up and involve himself in the game as you'd probably like, so I think he would be relying on the other players in particular the mids to involve him in the game by bringing the ball I50.

Hopper, McGrath and Ainsworth jump to mind as the ones that could have the biggest impact of the eligible players this season

I wouldn't rule out Bowes. Has almost cemented a round one spot off half back already and has been a standout in the intraclub matches.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
I heard that and his decision making was a highlight from what I've read.

Even before the JLT series is starting, Ainsworth and Bowes are already looking likely for a round 1 berth it seems.

Excited to see Ainsworth in particular and think he can make an immediate impact in your forward line.

Brodie has been mentioned as a player who looks more likely to come into the side mid-season and I've heard he's been managing some sort of injury. Is arguably one of the best inside midfielders from last years draft and I liked what I saw from him in the Champs. I think he can make an impact if he's brought into the side as well as someone who's got some real stoppage craft to his game despite the fact that this is only his first year.

Looking forward to seeing your first year players as well as some of your other really talented young players who've been in the system for only a few years.

I wouldn't rule out Bowes. Has almost cemented a round one spot off half back already and has been a standout in the intraclub matches.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Helps that he got experience against bigger bodies last year, i could defeintley see a Mills type year from him although I'd prefer him up forward

Noticeable two big changes to body shape since last year. Lovell has lost a lot of the puppy fat looks leaner but still has those thunder thighs and Burton is starting to look like an athlete. These two will surprise I feel as they both have the right work ethic and talent.

Some clubs will be embarrassed!

View attachment 335955
Why will clubs be embarrassed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 15 disposals, 5 uncontested marks and a tackle.

How s**t was everyone else on the ground if those are the numbers of the BOG.

Hawthorn fans are way over the top on this kid. Has talent, could become great. At the moment however he is a regular old run of the mill prospect.

He had 15 disposals, 5 uncontested marks and a tackle.

How s**t was everyone else on the ground if those are the numbers of the BOG.

Hawthorn fans are way over the top on this kid. Has talent, could become great. At the moment however he is a regular old run of the mill prospect.
We have someone who didnt see the game.

Uncontested on stat only maybe but thats because he out position his opponent. All intercept marks out front of pies kpp.

"regular old run of the mill prospect." Spare me. Why would i listen to someone who has never seen the kid play. Your opinion is useless.

We have someone who didnt see the game.

Uncontested on stat only maybe but thats because he out position his opponent. All intercept marks out front of pies kpp.

"regular old run of the mill prospect." Spare me. Why would i listen to someone who has never seen the kid play. Your opinion is useless.

I watched all his AFL games (all 4) except his first. He did some very nice things but was far from BOG on any of them. The best he played was in the Geelong game he got injured in.

I still find your call that he was BOG against Collingwood ridiculous. Shaun Burgoyne pulled your team kicking and screaming over the finish line that game along with Mitchell.

I watched all his AFL games (all 4) except his first. He did some very nice things but was far from BOG on any of them. The best he played was in the Geelong game he got injured in.

I still find your call that he was BOG against Collingwood ridiculous. Shaun Burgoyne pulled your team kicking and screaming over the finish line that game along with Mitchell.
Want me to pull up quotes from the game day thread on the main board.

I was saying it there and no one was barking order saying way off then. Sorry your majesty. This is a riseing star prediction thread the exact place for me to post and talk aboit burton.

I though his game saveing marks and then pressure kicks to set up attacking drives the match winner. Thats my opinion. I dont really care about yours (the question remains why you care about mine)

You dont see me being a nob having a go at anyone bring up Francis. Just another regular old run of the mill prospect right?

Want me to pull up quotes from the game day thread on the main board.

I was saying it there and no one was barking order saying way off then. Sorry your majesty. This is a riseing star prediction thread the exact place for me to post and talk aboit burton.

I though his game saveing marks and then pressure kicks to set up attacking drives the match winner. Thats my opinion. I dont really care about yours (the question remains why you care about mine)

You dont see me being a nob having a go at anyone bring up Francis. Just another regular old run of the mill prospect right?

Classic.

• Make a comment on a public forum.
  • Have your comment quoted on.
  • Attack the person because he disagrees with you (while also saying you don't care about his opinion).
  • Finish strong by bringing up something to do with the persons team he supports even though it has nothing to do with the original post.

I say you are wrong about Burton being BOG and the evidence you want to bring is quoting yourself on a main board discussion?

As for that lovely throwaway line you ended with about Francis. I would not put anything on him being a rising star. Still does not have the tank to play multiple games in a row and is an injury risk.

I would say as a star prospect he is better than Burton but I also think he has a greater chance to bust.

I say you are wrong about Burton being BOG and the evidence you want to bring is quoting yourself on a main board discussion?

As for that lovely throwaway line you ended with about Francis. I would not put anything on him being a rising star. Still does not have the tank to play multiple games in a row and is an injury risk.

I would say as a star prospect he is better than Burton but I also think he has a greater chance to bust.
I literally just repeated what you said to me but changed the player. Im not going to even attempt to have a vaild discuss with you about it though. Because like i said on my first post i doubt you even watch that game.

Looks like we have some who can dish it out but cant take it.

Whats with people who come into threads like this and shooting there mouths off.

Its a rising star prospect thread. Supports like myself comein here and post avout who they think will win it.

If you want to post why that player wont win it go ahead. But turning to the poster and telling them off for haveing an opinion *that may differ from your own) should not be allowed in boards like this. With in reason ofc.

In the end we all have an opinon and no ones opinion is more valid then anothers.

Burton was not close to BOG in the games he played. But just saw some things which stood out like dogs balls. Just like when I saw some things with Hodge in his first game at the G against the Dees. Behind play he was the instigator and shaped up to Powell who for those that can't remember was a customer who could handle himself very well. Hodge copped a couple of jumper punches and knew he had to back off but I thought he has got a lot of go in him. Also thought look at this punk he is 18 and is pointing at spots around the ground and yelling instructions out to his team mates. These couple of things I saw personified Hodgey for the next 15 years and now is a Hawks great.

With Burton the thing that stood out for me is his composure. Against the Pies towards the end of the game it was hectic. Birchall and Frawley looked like rabbits in front of a spotlight but Burton was the one who looked like the 200+ game player, calm finding the best option every time. Also noticed he moves smoothly for his size with good skills. He will be a mid that can go forward or back when the coach needs him.

Hawks priority is to keep this kid from going back to SA because he will be a big bodied mid type! He was looking at top 5 in the draft until his leg injury and there were still a lot of supporters from SA critical that they did not take him.

Also saw some good things with Lovell but let's not get too carried away!

Last edited:
Bowes, MCluggage and Ainsworth look ready made AFL footballers. Can see all getting a lot of games this year. Exciting times for Gold Coast fans..

From my team - Petrovski Seton will give it a nudge if he can get and stay on the park. Is all class..

Back