Review 2017 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Midfield, Matt and Brad Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs, Douglas, Gibson, Greenwood, Hampton, Seedsman, Atkins, Knight, Mackay, CEY young players in Milera, Gallucci, Pohokle, Jarman.

Crows have a stronger Midfield in 2018 than 2017. Gibb and Gibson in for limit minutes from CC. With Gibson we gain a shutdown player that wins his own ball.
We have not lost a lot in defense with ready-made replacements for Lever, with Doedee, Keath, maybe Otten who just as quick as Lever.
We have not lost a lot in the Forward line with ready-made replacement, Gallucci, Milera, Jarman, Signorelli,
Smith missing due to injury, can be replaced but the number may not be the same, we have Hampton, Milera, Mackay, Douglas, Maybe Gibbs.

We come away stronger in this Trade period. for the next few years.

provided Gallucci and Doedee can go from zero to hero a la Greenwood and Kelly (ish) we should be fairly well placed to improve on this year.

Gibson is a worry though, I'm sure he'll get a few nods ahead of younger options.

provided Gallucci and Doedee can go from zero to hero a la Greenwood and Kelly (ish) we should be fairly well placed to improve on this year.

Gibson is a worry though, I'm sure he'll get a few nods ahead of younger options.
#6 in Nth Melb's B & F this year?

If Melbourne finish last andcarlton second to last next year, we will be the kings of trading!

But in reality we did well in two of our three trades.....that's right we did poorly in the Cameron trade;)

Here's hoping the player we pick at 12 is an all time gun, so we have 12 years of reminding Port what we did with their draft pick!!!

So to actually summarise in a way I can understand it:

IN:
  • Gibbs
  • Gibson
  • 2017 picks: 12, 39, 77
  • 2018 picks: 10, 21, 39, 64
OUT:
  • Lever
  • Cameron
  • Wiggums
  • 2017 picks: 16, 36 73
  • 2018 picks: 70
I think that's right.

So 2017 picks didn't change too much. Hell, we improved the 1st round.

Big news is lever + cameron out, Gibbs in and we're now heavily into the 2018 draft.

All in all - that's a very good trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 Midfield, Matt and Brad Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs, Douglas, Gibson, Greenwood, Hampton, Seedsman, Atkins, Knight, Mackay, CEY young players in Milera, Gallucci, Pohokle, Jarman.

Crows have a stronger Midfield in 2018 than 2017. Gibb and Gibson in for limit minutes from CC. With Gibson we gain a shutdown player that wins his own ball.
We have not lost a lot in defense with ready-made replacements for Lever, with Doedee, Keath, maybe Otten who just as quick as Lever.
We have not lost a lot in the Forward line with ready-made replacement, Gallucci, Milera, Jarman, Signorelli,
Smith missing due to injury, can be replaced but the number may not be the same, we have Hampton, Milera, Mackay, Douglas, Maybe Gibbs.

We come away stronger in this Trade period. for the next few years.
Losing Smith and CC means out midfield is weaker next year.

So to actually summarise in a way I can understand it:

IN:
  • Gibbs
  • Gibson
  • 2017 picks: 12, 39, 77
  • 2018 picks: 10, 21, 39, 64
OUT:
  • Lever
  • Cameron
  • Wiggums
  • 2017 picks: 16, 36 73
  • 2018 picks: 70
I think that's right.

So 2017 picks didn't change too much. Hell, we improved the 1st round.

Big news is lever + cameron out, Gibbs in and we're now heavily into the 2018 draft.

All in all - that's a very good trade period.
When it’s laid out that way....it doesn’t look so bad

Definitely the strongest trade period for a few years. At least since bringing in Betts.

Major caveats:
* Unsure how I feel about the draft pick haul given the club should be challenging for multiple premierships before the drafted players come good. Perhaps trade material for next year?
* No direct replacement for Lever makes me worry the coaching staff will attempt to make a current defender play the same way.
The way I read it is we can go very hard for a tilt at a flag again next year with Gibbs there to bolster us and Gibson adding depth. Then we can reassess at the end of 2018 when we see (i) how we performed and (ii) what Sloane (and other big names) is doing before deciding whether to go hard into the draft for young South Aussie kids or trade for ready-made players. We have options.

that doesn't mean much I'm afraid.

Walker finished 6th in our B&F, reckon we'd ship him off for pick 100?
:eek: gee the B & F results are used for arguing players merits all the time on this board ......suddenly the results are irrelevant? .....let me bookmark this

It's a win overall, but as always the question in trade week is not just whether the trades we did are good, but also whether there were other options we could have pursued.

We did well out of the players that wanted to leave. Lever and Cameron out for three first round picks is excellent, particularly given they both named destinations and Lever was uncontracted.

The Gibbs trade is close to parity if we go well in 2018 and Carlton are near the bottom of the ladder. It's a risk, but you need to take them when you're in the window.

The other various trades are just window dressing, but fingers crossed Gibson can follow in the fine tradition of Lynch, Jenkins, Seedsman, etc and become a valuable role player for a bargain basement price.

The real open question is whether or not there were other options we could have pursued, such as Francis. I guess we'll never know.

It's interesting... when we traded out Lever everyone thought we had won the trade bigtime... when we traded in Gibbs they thought we'd lost it... and when we traded out Cameron they thought we'd won it. It seems to me that the AFL list managers place a considerably lower value on first round picks than fans do.

When it’s laid out that way....it doesn’t look so bad
on paper we've done pretty well in terms of ins and outs, the lack of coherency in the overall strategy is the issue.

we've lost 3 best 22 players (Smith for the year) and we've only brought in Gibbs and Gibson to top it up. Again we're going to be mostly reliant on "organic growth" to improve, and while Milera should be fairly well-poised to break out next year - the likes of Doedee and Gallucci, no matter how promising, are still a matter of "we'd better keep our fingers crossed".

if the 2018 flag is the goal we needed to secure someone a little more compelling than Gibson IMO.

ultimately, net result at the trade table = win, net result to the best 22 = loss.

I know I've been shouted down for saying this elsewhere, but I honestly think Seedsman will cover Smith's role fine. He missed most of this year. He'll play in 2018 and do it nearly as well.

We have to cover Lever and Cameron. The cover will Lever will be very interesting, will it be Doedee, or Otten, or Cheney, or Keath? Presumably with Cameron we'll plonk Gibbs and Gibson in the midfield and rotate some mids into the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back