Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

The South Australia vs Allies game is on FoxFooty this week. Saturday morning, 10.10am SA time...does that make it 8.30 in WA? There are a few players who could be of interest to us...

From South Australia, watch for Jordan Houlahan - a 185cm marking medium forward, has some x factor and could slot in nicely. At 201cm and and 98kg, Callum Coleman-Jones is a big ruck/forward with a very strong contested mark. Not sure how he'd fit into the Peel side, but I'd back him long term over Apeness and Strnadica. Brad McCarthy is transitioning to small defender, could be a nice project with his run and skills at 177cm. While Stefan Giro and Liam Denton offer outside run.

For the Allies, I like Tom Highmore but he's surplus to needs being an intercept defender. In the midfield, Nicholas Shipley and Zac Bailey are two contested ball winners but very different at 190cm and 180cm respectively. While Hugh Dixon is a 195cm Tasmanian key forward with strong hands, a bit different to what we have now and could be worth a rookie pick.

Houlahan had 4 goals today against Allies from nine possessions. Darcy Fogarty 2 goals but again pretty quiet with only 14 possessions. What is it that young people say these days - Houlahan on the incline, Fogarty on the decline?

Coleman-Jones had no goals today but 5 marks, 15 hitouts and a massive 28 disposals for a tall. Moves well I am sure Freo probably rate his leadership ability (he is the SA Captain) but not sure whether we would look at him with our first pick. His kicking is a bit dodgy, but he takes a big mark, is mobile and that for me is the more important aspect for a KPF / Ruck.

Dixon also had 2 goals - I like his game. If we didn't need flankers and midfielders I would be tempted to draft him with one of our later picks or as Chris said as a rookie pick.

Question for those that have been following this thread: If Fogarty and Hayes were at our first pick, (based upon what we know at this stage) who would you choose if you were our recruiting team?

Don't know the players well enough to comment on Fogarty/Hayes.
Watched a bit of this game.Was a good standard.Youngsters are getting fitter,harder and faster.Other than Coleman-Jones the pick of the talls for mine were SA's KPF Jack Lukosius who's only 16 and looked phenomenally gifted and the Allies ruckman/forward Connor Ballenden who looked a bit Zaarkey but without the festival knees.
Lots of talent on display.

Yeah I like the look of Ballenden too scon.

Young New South Welshman (but playing in WA) Aaron Redhead had a good game in the colts today. 17 disp (13 kicks), 24 hitouts and 2 goals. 201cm.

I'd take Hayes Ysaye.

Liam Ryan another 4 goal . Ninyette maybe rookie list .

What about Ian milera ? Chris25 mention him in the main board .

Last edited:
First time I've watched the U18's. All the best players were under agers, Lukosius, Rankine and Hately. Hugo Barry looked good, maybe slightly better than Fogarty but that knee injury didn't look good. Not really a fan of Dixon, seemed like a shorter, softer version of Apeness but like I said, it's the first game I've watched.

First time I've watched the U18's. All the best players were under agers, Lukosius, Rankine and Hately. Hugo Barry looked good, maybe slightly better than Fogarty but that knee injury didn't look good. Not really a fan of Dixon, seemed like a shorter, softer version of Apeness but like I said, it's the first game I've watched.
Dixon as a low pick or rookie only , you can't compare him with apeness. Is like comparing Jeremy Cameron. With Tab .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back