Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying not to be giving the Hogan speculation ang credence but if he or a big fish became available how does this impact the list planning strategy?
I was in the Brander camp, then I began swaying towards a mid like Stephenson or even Brayshaw.
I'm not sure Brander really fits the KPF description- I reckon he'll be good but I'm not sure he is a pick 5 if a player like Hogan was available.
Obviously we would need to add to pick 5 to get someone like him but do we consider it by giving up so much in a rebuild ?
I really think we need to build our ball using mids by adding a young gun - or are we happy with our current young fellas?
Interesting what Lloyd had to say on 'Road to the draft' about keeping our first this year.
Judging by a couple of his comments mids and forwards are on the agenda, don't see Brander or any other forward worthy of pick 5 - just my opinion. I think a mid is what we will go for if we don't trade away or downgrade pick 5.
Still like Oscar Allen for a pick in the 20's - 30's he may be sliding.

what do you think of Ballendon........and if we are seriously wanting a forward and either Brander or Ballendon ... would seem we try and do some trading for a couple of later picks for our 5 and a player...something like that.

Trying not to be giving the Hogan speculation ang credence but if he or a big fish became available how does this impact the list planning strategy?
I was in the Brander camp, then I began swaying towards a mid like Stephenson or even Brayshaw.
I'm not sure Brander really fits the KPF description- I reckon he'll be good but I'm not sure he is a pick 5 if a player like Hogan was available.
Obviously we would need to add to pick 5 to get someone like him but do we consider it by giving up so much in a rebuild ?
I really think we need to build our ball using mids by adding a young gun - or are we happy with our current young fellas?
Interesting what Lloyd had to say on 'Road to the draft' about keeping our first this year.
Judging by a couple of his comments mids and forwards are on the agenda, don't see Brander or any other forward worthy of pick 5 - just my opinion. I think a mid is what we will go for if we don't trade away or downgrade pick 5.
Agree that it sounded like Lloyd doesn't rate Brander and (as expected) is not interested in Naughton (did give him a wrap though).

I'd say we think the best 5 are all mids/utilities so I expect us to take one of them. I hope it is Stephenson or Fogarty. I want a player with a high ceiling.

I got the same impression although a lot can change between now and then and Brad does seem to be a good poker player.

what do you think of Ballendon........and if we are seriously wanting a forward and either Brander or Ballendon ... would seem we try and do some trading for a couple of later picks for our 5 and a player...something like that.
Ballenden is Lions academy. He isn't coming here. If our recruiters don't rate Brander then I am happy not to take him.

Ballenden is Lions academy. He isn't coming here. If our recruiters don't rate Brander then I am happy not to take him.

That's why I didn't mention Ballenden, especially with talk about Schache being a bit unsettled.
If someone bids on him do they use the high pick or does it defer to their points - 2rounder?

That's why I didn't mention Ballenden, especially with talk about Schache being a bit unsettled.
If someone bids on him do they use the high pick or does it defer to their points - 2rounder?
The points are taken off their next available pick(s)

That's why I was eluding to the trade period what ifs.
We really need quality with 2 - 3 picks this year, downgrade like mentioned could definitely be on the cards.
Really like the mentioned players as well as Fogarty.Can we punt on 2 picks in the teens for a downgrade? I wouldn't, I'd go with 5 and bank on a couple of trades netting picks anywhere from late 20's to early 40's. Speculate on late pick locals and delists such as Matera.
The grand final involving Peel this week may assist the profile of some of our tradeable commodities.
Taberner only becomes tradeable if a deal is being conjured for Hogan, pick swap trade.

Brad gave away stuff all. He seems to think the top 5 are pretty equal (as rated by the list management team), and we'd go best available. So we could be getting anybody.
We have a few needs - I don't mind us going best available with our top pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's put some perspective on Liam Ryan for those wanting to or thinking we will draft him:

Missed training sessions with Subiaco
Missed training sessions with WA (knowing AFL recruiters would be monitoring him)
Had poor draft camp fitness results
Is poor defensively even for the WAFL
Left East Freo because he was homesick for Gero and could not commit. Did not want any part of big city life.
Changed his mind after East Perth got in his ear. Then committed to East Perth before Subiaco waved their magic wand (cash) in front of him - not that I blame him for that.

2016 - 16 games for 40.24 = 2.5 goals per game
2017 - 22 games for 73.35 = 3.3 goals per game
Very good goal sense but is more mark and kick than a crumbing "small" forward at 184 cm.
Has an amazing leap and is an excitement machine.
Only needs a handful of possessions to have an impact.

Unfortunately for Liam and Freo the cons far outweigh the pros.

Let's put some perspective on Liam Ryan for those wanting to or thinking we will draft him:

Missed training sessions with Subiaco
Missed training sessions with WA (knowing AFL recruiters would be monitoring him)
Had poor draft camp fitness results
Is poor defensively even for the WAFL
Left East Freo because he was homesick for Gero and could not commit. Did not want any part of big city life.
Changed his mind after East Perth got in his ear. Then committed to East Perth before Subiaco waved their magic wand (cash) in front of him - not that I blame him for that.

2016 - 16 games for 40.24 = 2.5 goals per game
2017 - 22 games for 73.35 = 3.3 goals per game
Very good goal sense but is more mark and kick than a crumbing "small" forward at 184 cm.
Has an amazing leap and is an excitement machine.
Only needs a handful of possessions to have an impact.

Unfortunately for Liam and Freo the cons far outweigh the pros.

He's going to Port according to his old man and his manager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back