2018 Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Love that you like him.

The bloke freaks me out. I watch any replay and I have to grab the remote and see again some of the stuff he does. Just his balance, poise, accuracy, good decision making in split seconds where nobody has time to make a decision. He is a freak. He’s also so valuable to the team outside of that. Any new kid who comes to Melbourne gets to set themselves against his training ethic, which by all accounts is extraordinarily disciplined. Any new onballer gets to model themselves against how Clarry uses the ball - which is a pretty decent line to strive towards.

He’s someone who gets me to rewind frequently as well.

He’s a super hero as far as I’m concerned.

For the record AmericanAFL - David King (who is the closest thing to an analytics guy in AFL commentary right now) came out over the summer and said he’s the best young mid in the competition and it’s not even close.

For the record AmericanAFL - David King (who is the closest thing to an analytics guy in AFL commentary right now) came out over the summer and said he’s the best young mid in the competition and it’s not even close.

I just can't agree with that though, who can actually know his ceiling? It's very possible Bont/Cripps have a more distinguished career but Oliver has as much of a chance as anyone

I have no track record for obvious reasons but I haven’t seen anyone play the way he does.

It’s pretty astonishing the way he enters the fray at top speed, gains possession and then disposes in a heartbeat. As others have said, it actually doesn’t seem possible to process where to go with rhe ball that quickly, and yet time and time again that’s what he does. I assume he would make a great point guard.

Last edited:
Since we are talking about how good the Ginger man is, here’s my top ten list of Melbourne players. I’m not including new additions for 2019, so no May.

1. Oliver
2. Maxy
3. Brayshaw
4. Jetta (I like Jetta but this is mostly based on others here who talk about him in reverent tones)
5. Sizzle
6. Harmes
7. Melksham
8. Viney (I’m sure he’ll be higher long term, but the lad just hasn’t played many games in 2018 for me to see much of him)
9. Jones (if it’s possible to be sentimental about someone you’ve only known of for 6-7 weeks, Nate has accomplished that feat)
10. Hibberd (this guy seems very underrated to me)

Honorable mention to Alex Neal Bullen and Petracca.

What’s your list look like?

Since we are talking about how good the Ginger man is, here’s my top ten list of Melbourne players. I’m not including new additions for 2019, so no May.

1. Oliver
2. Maxy
3. Brayshaw
4. Jetta (I like Jetta but this is mostly based on others here who talk about him in reverent tones)
5. Sizzle
6. Harmes
7. Melksham
8. Viney (I’m sure he’ll be higher long term, but the lad just hasn’t played many games in 2018 for me to see much of him)
9. Jones (if it’s possible to be sentimental about someone you’ve only known of for 6-7 weeks, Nate has accomplished that feat)

1. Gawn
2. Oliver
3 Viney
4. Nev
5. Tmac
6. Hibberd
7. Brayshaw
8. Harmes
9. Melksham
10. Salem

Alright people. The West Coast game was amazing. I’ve watched it multiple times. Alas, it’s time to move on.

Bring on the Giants.

But please keep the top ten lists coming!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Oliver
2. Maxy
3. Brayshaw
5. Sizzle
6. Harmes
7. Melksham

My top ten:
1. Oliver
2. Gawn
3. Jetta
4. TMac
5. Brayshaw
6. Melksham
7. Hibberd
8. Viney
9. Harmes
10. ANB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Subjectively based on 2018 form, where they rate in their position and importance to our side.

1. Gawn - best ruck in the comp and a defensive and transitioning weapon.
2. Oliver - a freak - gun inside mid with barely any weaknesses.
3. T Mac - rates amongst the best key forwards in the comp - great hands, mobile and accurate.
4. Viney - a bull and a tackling machine - a 'follow me' leader.
5. Jetta - rarely beaten one on one, regularly competes outside his weight division and an enforcer.
6. Melksham - laser footskills either side, short or long. Pulls the strings across half forward.
7. Brayshaw - natural accumulator and full of courage, but lacks polish at times.
8. Hibberd - competitive beast, mates with Bern, great agility and great left hoof.
9. Harmes - big improver - versatile, competive and well rounded player.
10. Lewis - getting long in the tooth but still the calmest head and still a very smart footballer with silky skills. Lack of pace catches him out, but how I perceive his influence on the group earns him my 10th spot.

Honourable mentions to Jones, Petracca and Salem. Didn't give much consideration to Lever, May, KK as yet to see their influence on the side.

Mine would be similar to most

1. Gawn - I don't think his influence can be underestimated, he's the best ruck in the game an he was instrumental dropping back into defence to cover for lever. Superstar

2. Oliver- Clearance dominance, just needs to kick more goals to move into the truly elite

3. Tmac - Gun key forward

4. Melksham - The guy who glues all the attacks together, beautiful vision and kicks some clutch goals

5. Viney - dropped back here due to injury, at his best he sits equal with Oliver but can't rely on him at the moment

6. Jetta - Our best defender. So reliable

7. Hibberd- I think he brings a proactivity and drive to our defence that others don't.

8. Brayshaw- finds the footy and I reckon he's gonna kick a few goals from centre bounces. Needs to use it better still to rise. Composure lacks sometimes

9. Harmes - slowly became a complete player in like 10 games. Star in the making

10 I'll leave open. Lever should be in here, May as well.

Special mention to ANB, Love the kid. I think one day people will just realise he's a very good player.

Somehow I didn’t get that sense. Count me in- I’m a fan.
They call him the Pig cause he likes getting dirty
Hes an old fashioned footballer, no nonsense runs in straight lines and does his job reliably. Some blokes it doesnt feel like they give their all to every contest, Pig isnt one of em

1 Oliver- freak.
2 Max- probably the most well round ruckman I've seen. does it all. rucks, defends, attacks.
3 Angus- strong in the clearances, smart reader of the play on the outside. our best inside/outside player and is impossible to tackle.
4 TMac- strong in the marking contest, great runner, straight shooter.
5 Viney- contested animal.
6 Salem- lightning quick hand to foot, skilful and sets up attacks from back of the contest. and now with an added hardness after his stint on ball last year.
7 Jetta- just one of those scragging defender campaigners who are an absolute nightmare to play on.
8 Hibbo- grunt rebounder.
9 Melk- our best kick going inside F50 and good one on one also.
10 Harmes- improving skills are taking this guy to new levels.

Ok, only to halftime of the GWS game. Maxy the star of the first half- usual ruck dominance plus has starred behind rhe ball, drifting back into defensive 50 and taking some big marks.

GWS seemed up for the battle in the first half. They’d probably be leading but goal kicking let them down in quarter two and they missed three reasonably makeable kicks.

Any chance they lose motivation in half two? They’re playing in Sydney round one of finals either way it seems. Just a matter of hosting Melbourne or playing the Swans. Maybe they’re smart enough to want to avoid us next week?

Also, the commentators continuously crediting Petracca for passing up inviting goal opportunities in order to “get his teammates more involved” is either a) one of the great announcer trolls of all time, or b) a terrible misreading of CP’s lack of confidence in his ability to successfully kick rhe ball between the two innermost posts.

I’m leaning heavily towards B.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back