List Mgmt. 2018 draft/Young Talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Wishlist for the 2018 draft (in no particular order):

1x inside midfielder to replace Neale
1x small lockdown defender
2x small forwards with good defensive traits

Pick 14: I would still bid on Tarryn Thomas if still on the table, following which I would go one of the following:

Jordan Clark -if still on table (reckon there is a 40% he is), 182cm outside-in midfielder / defender with great skills and decision making and agility. From WA (Claremont).
Liam Stocker - 183cm strong bullish midfielder with a good speed and penetrating kick.
Sam Sturt - 188cm "Hybrid" forward with speed, leap and excellent field and set shot kicking ability.
Chayce Jones - 180cm Taswegian midfielder who showed that he has strong athletic ability (top 10 in sprint times, jumps and the like) in addition to being a quality ball magnet. Feels a touch early and maybe more appriopriate for pick 31 discussion.

Pick 31: hard to know what will (and won't) be on the table but:
Tom Joyce - I do rate him, 180cm inside midfielder who would have co-captained WA, was unfortunate with injury but was looking really good beforehand. As Tundra said kicking doesn't have heaps of depth but has a good footy brain, quick hands and is in the mold of the guys that can collect heaps of the ball. I think he can play a number of roles and he will satisfy those looking for a Neale replacement.

Luke Foley - Don't know if he lasts this long but taller (187cm) inside overaged midfielder from Subiaco. Good runner (former state level 400m runner), gathers heaps of the ball, played some senior WAFL games competing for spots in a very strong team.

Ben Jarvis - SA 185cm hybrid forward with x factor and very good overhead as well at ground level. I think Chris25 rates him and for me he just makes things happen and has some tricks.

Pick 43: Even harder to know! :p

Tyron Smallwood - small (177cm) high half forward he will potentially transfer to the midfield, played a number of games at Claremont Seniors including in the finals and was a lively sort who tackled hard and does the team things but also has the skills to snap goals. Got an invite to the National combine.

Dillon O'Reilly - 193cm from East Freo, son of Stephen, played mainly forward to date although did ruck in the champs and could potentially play back as well. Played senior in a weak East Freo side both in 2017 and 2018 and was a goal kicker. Don't think he has massive speed or endurance but fundamental reads the ball well either end, good hands and good kick. We have a few of these types on the list now (Hogan, Cox, Dixon even arguably McCarthy, Kersten), and there are a few available but I think he has more versatility than say a McCarthy.

Wishlist for the 2018 draft (in no particular order):

1x inside midfielder to replace Neale
1x small lockdown defender
2x small forwards with good defensive traits

So if that's what you want:
Small mid = Chayce Jones or Tom Joyce
Small lockdown defender = I'm going to say Smallwood with a complete change of roles but I just don't get drafting players to only do small lock down when you can get a tall agile player like Alex Pearce to absolutely blanket a small and use another tall to cover a tall.
Forwards: above I have thrown up Sturt, Jarvis and Smallwood as non key forwards. I actually want medium forwards (either in the vein of a Hayward/Rohan or Petracca or Bruest or a Tory Dickson) as much as small, and I think there are a few nice options available with the picks we have. In terms of the actual smalls we already have, Switkowski admittedly looked okay end of the season but is maybe more a high forward than a crumber, and I still have Crowden and Giro in the small forward category as well (and Bennell and Ballantyne). As mentioned, Smallwood, or maybe try Carter (who has the pace and agility combo needed to crumb well) down forward.

Pick 14: I would still bid on Tarryn Thomas if still on the table, following which I would go one of the following:

Jordan Clark -if still on table (reckon there is a 40% he is), 182cm outside-in midfielder / defender with great skills and decision making and agility. From WA (Claremont).
Liam Stocker - 183cm strong bullish midfielder with a good speed and penetrating kick.
Sam Sturt - 188cm "Hybrid" forward with speed, leap and excellent field and set shot kicking ability.
Chayce Jones - 180cm Taswegian midfielder who showed that he has strong athletic ability (top 10 in sprint times, jumps and the like) in addition to being a quality ball magnet. Feels a touch early and maybe more appriopriate for pick 31 discussion.

Pick 31: hard to know what will (and won't) be on the table but:
Tom Joyce - I do rate him, 180cm inside midfielder who would have co-captained WA, was unfortunate with injury but was looking really good beforehand. As Tundra said kicking doesn't have heaps of depth but has a good footy brain, quick hands and is in the mold of the guys that can collect heaps of the ball. I think he can play a number of roles and he will satisfy those looking for a Neale replacement.

Luke Foley - Don't know if he lasts this long but taller (187cm) inside overaged midfielder from Subiaco. Good runner (former state level 400m runner), gathers heaps of the ball, played some senior WAFL games competing for spots in a very strong team.

Ben Jarvis - SA 185cm hybrid forward with x factor and very good overhead as well at ground level. I think Chris25 rates him and for me he just makes things happen and has some tricks.

Pick 43: Even harder to know! :p

Tyron Smallwood - small (177cm) high half forward he will potentially transfer to the midfield, played a number of games at Claremont Seniors including in the finals and was a lively sort who tackled hard and does the team things but also has the skills to snap goals. Got an invite to the National combine.

Dillon O'Reilly - 193cm from East Freo, son of Stephen, played mainly forward to date although did ruck in the champs and could potentially play back as well. Played senior in a weak East Freo side both in 2017 and 2018 and was a goal kicker. Don't think he has massive speed or endurance but fundamental reads the ball well either end, good hands and good kick. We have a few of these types on the list now (Hogan, Cox, Dixon even arguably McCarthy, Kersten), and there are a few available but I think he has more versatility than say a McCarthy.

So if that's what you want:
Small mid = Chayce Jones or Tom Joyce
Small lockdown defender = I'm going to say Smallwood with a complete change of roles but I just don't get drafting players to only do small lock down when you can get a tall agile player like Alex Pearce to absolutely blanket a small and use another tall to cover a tall.
Forwards: above I have thrown up Sturt, Jarvis and Smallwood as non key forwards. I actually want medium forwards (either in the vein of a Hayward/Rohan or Petracca or Bruest or a Tory Dickson) as much as small, and I think there are a few nice options available with the picks we have. In terms of the actual smalls we already have, Switkowski admittedly looked okay end of the season but is maybe more a high forward than a crumber, and I still have Crowden and Giro in the small forward category as well (and Bennell and Ballantyne). As mentioned, Smallwood, or maybe try Carter (who has the pace and agility combo needed to crumb well) down forward.

Nice one Ysaye. Always liked your work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright Chris25 , who, what, where, why

Round 1
1. Carlton - Sam Walsh
2. Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius
3. Gold Coast - Connor Rozee
4. St Kilda - Max King
5. Port Adelaide - Izak Rankine
6. Gold Coast - Bailey Smith
7. Sydney - Nick Blakey**
8. Western Bulldogs - Ben King
9. North Melbourne - Tarryn Thomas**
10. Adelaide - Jackson Hately
11. GWS - Jordan Clark
12. Port Adelaide - Ian Hill
13. GWS - Jye Caldwell
14. Geelong - Ed McHenry
15. Adelaide - Sam Sturt

16. Fremantle - Curtis Taylor (186cm, 79kg forward/midfielder from Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

Pushed back a couple of selections with Academy picks, I think it's possible the two WA boys are gone. I don't see Jordan Clark lasting until here, he seems to be climbing. While I see Ian Hill being in the 10-20 range and a good chance to be available, but Port Adelaide desperately need run and speed - especially if Gold Coast take Rankine instead of Rozee.

So I've gone with the half forward from Victoria, who seems to be in the 12-25 range at the moment but I think goes earlier than some others expect. Natural talent, good hands and moves well both in close and in space. He's a little like Jaidyn Stephenson - he's cleaner with the ball in hand, but not quite as electric. Has shown some midfield potential too.

Pretty much any of the remaining picks in the first round would have to be options for us too.

17. Port Adelaide - Tom Sparrow
18. Adelaide - Luke Valente
19. Collingwood - Isaac Quaynor**
20. Richmond - Riley Collier-Dawkins
21. Brisbane - Xavier Duursma
22. GWS - Liam Stocker
23. West Coast - Jez McLennan

Round 2
24. Adelaide - Bailey Williams
25. GWS - Kieran Briggs**
26. West Coast - Luke Foley
27. Western Bulldogs - Rhylee West**
28. Melbourne - Zac Butters
29. Brisbane - Connor McFadyen**
30. Gold Coast - Hayden Sampson
31. Melbourne - Xavier O'Halloran
32. Gold Coast - Mitch Maguire

33. Fremantle - Ely Smith (188cm, 86kg midfielder from Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)

If he's available, he'd be a very good second round pick. I think he'll be in demand, and teams could look to trade up if he's on the board around the pick 30 mark. One of the better inside midfielders on offer in the whole draft. Not originally part of the Vic Country U18 team, but worked his way in and was almost BOG in his only game against WA. Plays with strength and power. Tested better than expected at the Combine too.

Otherwise, Chayce Jones has slid further than he should in my draft. But I prefer the size of Ely Smith.

34. Western Bulldogs - Tom McKenzie
35. North Melbourne - Bailey Scott**
36. Sydney - Chayce Jones
37. Collingwood - Will Kelly**
38. Essendon - Sydney Stack
39. West Coast - Jarrod Cameron**
40. Brisbane - Tom Berry
41. St Kilda - Jack Bytel
42. Melbourne - Toby Bedford**
43. Richmond - Will Hamill
44. Sydney - Riley Grundy

Round 3
45. Sydney - Fraser Turner
46. Sydney - Luke English

47. Fremantle - Damon Greaves (186cm, 74kg defender/midfielder from East Perth)

At this point, the draft really opens up and anything could happen. But it's about time we picked a local kid, with the picks not falling that way earlier at our selections. I think Greaves is pretty underrated, and is arguably WA's third best draft option for me - after Clark and Hill. Played an attacking half back role for WA at the Championships, but was also shifted up onto a wing when they needed more run and flair. He's a nice long kick of the ball and always looks to create. I think he has a lot of midfield potential, and shapes as a similar player to Kamdyn McIntosh from Richmond.

Tom Joyce and Luke English would be the other WA options around here I imagine, but anything could happen come the third round.

Round 4
65ish. Fremantle - Tyron Smallwood (177cm, 80kg small forward/midfielder from Claremont)

Are we taking this pick? Who knows. But if we do then I like Smallwood as a versatile prospect, whether we develop him as a small forward or potentially as a small defender. Just looks a smart and tough little player, does most things that you'd expect and want. Made his league debut for Claremont and played a couple of finals. Otherwise Boyd Woodcock and Tom Lewis are two smalls from SA that I like, both I probably rate higher than Crowden and Giro - with Lewis arguably the perfect Neale replacement.

Luke Foley - Don't know if he lasts this long but taller (187cm) inside overaged midfielder from Subiaco. Good runner (former state level 400m runner), gathers heaps of the ball, played some senior WAFL games competing for spots in a very strong team./QUOTE]

pardon the selective editing & sheizen quoting (I have tried to fix it) Ysaye, but that description reminds me of Simon Black.
I haven't seen the boy play, so I could be completely wrong. :)

Love your work Chris25 but I wouldn't be surprised if iHill (and possibly other West Aussie's) drop a few spots due to the high risk go home factor, particularly given the family connection at Freo.

Callum Twomey in Florida (AFL News, Jan 18, 2018 9:10AM)
"WHEN Bradley Hill requested a trade from Hawthorn to Fremantle at the end of 2016, there were few footy fans more excited than Ian Hill..."

I worked out this is the list of go home's to WA in the past few years (since 15):
Hogan, Lobb, Colyer, Conca, Wilson, Matera, McCarthy, Hill, Hamling, Kersten, Bennell, Ah Chee, Redden, Jetta, (Kelly soon to?).

I would hazard a guess that, in view of the above, clubs would have to think that there would be a reasonably high probability that iHill would be on the plane back to Perth within 4 years. That might push him down 4 spots to us. Maybe.

[and I'm biased because I am really looking to update my avatar, and we really need another good, fast, skillful, winger/half-forward]

Love your work Chris25 but I wouldn't be surprised if iHill (and possibly other West Aussie's) drop a few spots due to the high risk go home factor, particularly given the family connection at Freo.

The 'high risk' go home factor is more just a product of us actively recruiting these ex WA players. So that probably distorts it a bit. But someone like Port Adelaide could say we'll take Ian Hill now, and if a WA team wants him in 2 years then they can pay up and we'll use that to go and get Rozee/Rankine from Gold Coast.

Round 1
1. Carlton - Sam Walsh
4. St Kilda - Max King
11. GWS - Jordan Clark
13. GWS - Jye Caldwell
14. Geelong - Ed McHenry
15. Adelaide - Sam Sturt

16. Fremantle - Curtis Taylor (186cm, 79kg forward/midfielder from Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

Pushed back a couple of selections with Academy picks, I think it's possible the two WA boys are gone. I don't see Jordan Clark lasting until here, he seems to be climbing. While I see Ian Hill being in the 10-20 range and a good chance to be available, but Port Adelaide desperately need run and speed - especially if Gold Coast take Rankine instead of Rozee.

So I've gone with the half forward from Victoria, who seems to be in the 12-25 range at the moment but I think goes earlier than some others expect. Natural talent, good hands and moves well both in close and in space. He's a little like Jaidyn Stephenson - he's cleaner with the ball in hand, but not quite as electric. Has shown some midfield potential too.

Pretty much any of the remaining picks in the first round would have to be options for us too.

22. GWS - Liam Stocker

Round 2

33. Fremantle - Ely Smith (188cm, 86kg midfielder from Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)

If he's available, he'd be a very good second round pick. I think he'll be in demand, and teams could look to trade up if he's on the board around the pick 30 mark. One of the better inside midfielders on offer in the whole draft. Not originally part of the Vic Country U18 team, but worked his way in and was almost BOG in his only game against WA. Plays with strength and power. Tested better than expected at the Combine too.

Otherwise, Chayce Jones has slid further than he should in my draft. But I prefer the size of Ely Smith.

40. Brisbane - Tom Berry

Round 3

At this point, the draft really opens up and anything could happen. But it's about time we picked a local kid, with the picks not falling that way earlier at our selections. I think Greaves is pretty underrated, and is arguably WA's third best draft option for me - after Clark and Hill. Played an attacking half back role for WA at the Championships, but was also shifted up onto a wing when they needed more run and flair. He's a nice long kick of the ball and always looks to create. I think he has a lot of midfield potential, and shapes as a similar player to Kamdyn McIntosh from Richmond.

Tom Joyce and Luke English would be the other WA options around here I imagine, but anything could happen come the third round.

Round 4
65ish. Fremantle - Tyron Smallwood (177cm, 80kg small forward/midfielder from Claremont)

Are we taking this pick? Who knows. But if we do then I like Smallwood as a versatile prospect, whether we develop him as a small forward or potentially as a small defender. Just looks a smart and tough little player, does most things that you'd expect and want. Made his league debut for Claremont and played a couple of finals. Otherwise Boyd Woodcock and Tom Lewis are two smalls from SA that I like, both I probably rate higher than Crowden and Giro - with Lewis arguably the perfect Neale replacement.
SA teams would be extremely happy with that outcome. Can see why you picked Taylor, really missing that medium
tall.

Here's a question for the draft gurus (Ysaye, Tundrawolf, Chris25) and everyone else:

With the public rumblings that Bell has read the riot act to some of the players on our list, and rumors floating around that Neale wasn't happy with the professionalism of a few of his teammates, who are the players in this draft that fit the profile of our list needs AND have shown that they're solid citizens with good leadership skills? I have a feeling we're going to try and bring in another couple of Andy Brayshaw-type characters if we can.

Luke Valente seems to fit this mould for our first selection - SA captain, will likely go between 15-25 and is a solid midfielder (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Who are some others that'll be available at our current selections?

Here's a question for the draft gurus (Ysaye, Tundrawolf, Chris25) and everyone else:

With the public rumblings that Bell has read the riot act to some of the players on our list, and rumors floating around that Neale wasn't happy with the professionalism of a few of his teammates, who are the players in this draft that fit the profile of our list needs AND have shown that they're solid citizens with good leadership skills?

Luke Valente seems to fit this mould for our first selection - SA captain, will likely go between 15-25 and is a solid midfielder (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Stocker.

Round 1
1. Carlton - Sam Walsh
4. St Kilda - Max King
11. GWS - Jordan Clark
13. GWS - Jye Caldwell
14. Geelong - Ed McHenry
15. Adelaide - Sam Sturt

22. GWS - Liam Stocker

Round 2

40. Brisbane - Tom Berry

Round 3

Round 4

Amazing work as usual Chris. With Liam Stocker in our range, what are your thoughts on his potential as a Neale replacement?

With the public rumblings that Bell has read the riot act to some of the players on our list, and rumors floating around that Neale wasn't happy with the professionalism of a few of his teammates, who are the players in this draft that fit the profile of our list needs AND have shown that they're solid citizens with good leadership skills? I have a feeling we're going to try and bring in another couple of Andy Brayshaw-type characters if we can.

I can't speak about the other states but Jordan Clark would be on top of that list. Medhat and English, are highly regarded kids too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back