Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we don't rise up a few spots this year we are in a lot if trouble.
Possibly. But the main reason freo are struggling is because Freos KPPs are either young or substandard. The midfeld is good. Suprised freo were 17th in contested possessions. I was assuming we were 10th or 12th at the worst.

I don't see freo getting the spoon, I don't want pick 1. Freo have only won the spoon once and that was 2001. I want to keep that intact

Possibly. But the main reason freo are struggling is because Freos KPPs are either young or substandard. The midfeld is good. Suprised freo were 17th in contested possessions. I was assuming we were 10th or 12th at the worst.

I don't see freo getting the spoon, I don't want pick 1. Freo have only won the spoon once and that was 2001. I want to keep that intact
Yeah I don't see position on the ladder as a major factor in measuring our progress given where we are at in terms of a redevelopment. But the things that I would use as measures should result in improved ladder position. I would rate the year as a positive if;
  • the defence becomes more functional in terms of scores against and transition from defence to the midfield. The key to this for me would be the development of Logue, A Pearce and Ryan as regular contributors. Pretty confident in the others back there. By the end of the season we should have a functioning defensive unit capable of being a competitive group for the next 5 years.
  • the ruck has developed depth capable of taking us beyond the Sandilands era in a seemless transition. At least one of our group of rucks needs to show some capability forward as I don't see any of them being dominant. Not saying that won't happen, it is just an unknown.
  • the midfield recruitment focus shows dividends with both Brayshaw and Cerra emerging as best 22 players for next season, and at least one of North, Crowden, Bamfield etc also pushing towards that status.
  • we see significant improvement in attack. Ideally we have someone impose themselves as a KPF. But we also need to see the emergence of a productive forward strategy that is not based on individual performances.
For our List Management crew to get an A+ for the next trade season, they need to bring in a ready made KPF, which I think is almost certainly unrealistic. Unless that happens we are unbalanced, and the strategy of going to the draft in the quest for filling that position too unpredictable/unreliable and out of sync with our rebuild timeframe.

We are currently locked into hoping one of Taberner, Dixon or Apeness become that genuine gorilla forward for us, but the odds are against that. A ceiling of B-grade for any of them is probably the highest I would expect. Maybe we can make do with that if our midfield recruitment focus does allow us to play Fyfe forward more, and the "tells" suggest this is the brains-trusts strategy for the immediate future. But I hope it is a stop gap measure, or perhaps a Plan B.

Last edited:
I like your analysis, but don't see the need to prioritize a small forward.

Last year's draft is confusing me with the quality of players we found late. I am pretty optimistic about the batch of players we found.

We have traded significantly the last couple of years, and I assume are looking to do so again. But apart from players have little to offer.

Purple lens effect at work there re our draft Picks in general , every clubs fan base thinks exactly the same way at this time of the year

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Purple lens effect at work there re our draft Picks in general , every clubs fan base thinks exactly the same way at this time of the year

Yeah, it is the optimistic time of year, but I am one of the original Dockers, so it's always about the upside. But I still think when an 18 year old has won their wafl sides b&f, and finds their way to the rookie draft, then it is not totally unfounded optimism.

Yeah, it is the optimistic time of year, but I am one of the original Dockers, so it's always about the upside. But I still think when an 18 year old has won their wafl sides b&f, and finds their way to the rookie draft, then it is not totally unfounded optimism.

Well most great sides have one year where they either nail the draft or get lucky with a few bonus f/s type pick ups , so let's hope either this years or last years is ours

Ian Hill and Jason Carter our two draft picks, with a pick 88 used on Banfield , giro upgrade.

Johnson, Pearce retire.
Trade Sutcliffe or Sheridan.

McGovern throw bags of cash (it’s like 2 for 1) will get Mitch McGovern in 2020 years.

I know it gets mentioned every year, but it is well know that the net can be cast wide this coming draft. That is why some clubs have been happy to give up third/fourth round picks because there is expected to be such wide range of talent picked up after the first 30 odd picks (ie not a lot of value difference between a clubs pick 40 and pick 80).

I would suggest we need to get back into round 2 (most likely trading future 2nd round pick) and pick up some talent with late picks which would end up being the equivalence of late 4th/early 5th round picks anyway.

D. Pearce, Sandilands, Spurr, Johnson, Ballantyne are all definitely in their last year. A 1 year contract extension for Mundy is likely.

Will be interesting to see is any of Bennell, Sutcliffe and Sheridan can show anything this season to render them worth a new contract.

And then there is Brady Grey and Michael Apeness.

For mine Bailey Banfield and Duman are looking likely upgrades, something needs to give with Nhyhuis as well.

So quite a few a few holes to plug.

I know it gets mentioned every year, but it is well know that the net can be cast wide this coming draft. That is why some clubs have been happy to give up third/fourth round picks because there is expected to be such wide range of talent picked up after the first 30 odd picks (ie not a lot of value difference between a clubs pick 40 and pick 80).

I would suggest we need to get back into round 2 (most likely trading future 2nd round pick) and pick up some talent with late picks which would end up being the equivalence of late 4th/early 5th round picks anyway.
IF we did trade into the 2nd round, I would imagine that it gets used for Carter. Unless you see him going late, it looks like a wasted manoeuvre.

Why not: use our first rounder, get Carter with whatever picks are required, pick up however many late selections we must, upgrade Banfield, Nyhuis and Duman if they are our best options.

Ian Hill and Jason Carter our two draft picks, with a pick 88 used on Banfield , giro upgrade.
McGovern throw bags of cash (it’s like 2 for 1) will get Mitch McGovern in 2020 years.
that's a seriously long time to wait :moustache::p

Last edited:
IF we did trade into the 2nd round, I would imagine that it gets used for Carter. Unless you see him going late, it looks like a wasted manoeuvre.

Why not: use our first rounder, get Carter with whatever picks are required, pick up however many late selections we must, upgrade Banfield, Nyhuis and Duman if they are our best options.
Aside from our first round pick we don’t have any picks with points. An even better scenario is for us to gather a couple of third round picks somehow. Use them on Carter and likely have some left over points to give us a fourth rounder to go with our fifth round pick.

If we don’t get any picks with pts for 2018 draft then the points will come off our 1st pick in 2019 and likely result in that pick dropping to the second round.

Aside from our first round pick we don’t have any picks with points. An even better scenario is for us to gather a couple of third round picks somehow. Use them on Carter and likely have some left over points to give us a fourth rounder to go with our fifth round pick.

If we don’t get any picks with pts for 2018 draft then the points will come off our 1st pick in 2019 and likely result in that pick dropping to the second round.

We’ve been though this. If Carter goes first round then yes they come off our first rounder - if it’s second round then it’s off our second round and so on until the it reaches the point where we don’t need points to match.

Perhaps trading our 2019 second rounder for a bunch of junk selections that say Gold Coast don’t need but still carry points might do the trick. I feel we’re going to be playing this system until we’ve basically finished our rebuild and we are only turning over 3-4 senior list positions anyway.

We’ve been though this. If Carter goes first round then yes they come off our first rounder - if it’s second round then it’s off our second round and so on until the it reaches the point where we don’t need points to match.

Perhaps trading our 2019 second rounder for a bunch of junk selections that say Gold Coast don’t need but still carry points might do the trick. I feel we’re going to be playing this system until we’ve basically finished our rebuild and we are only turning over 3-4 senior list positions anyway.

By junk selections, you mean 2nd rounders right? Or have they sacked old mate Scotty Clayton already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just responding to your idea that we need to get into the second round. IF we can get a pick ahead of where Carter will attract a bid, I'm all for it. If not, we can borrow from next year, which is not ideal, but at our stage of a rebuild, is ok.

Last year's top 10 seems pretty strong. Brayshaw, Dow, Clark, Coffield, Stephenson and Naughton have already shown a fair bit in their appearances while we expect Rayner/LDU/Cerra to be guns also.

Not often you get more than 4-5 of a top 10 to "make it", however we will probably get that from last years draft.

Early days but I'd say they look like a good honest crop of players and most will go on to play 10+ years and 150+ games without being superstars. Not sure there's a Judd/Pavlich/Hodge/Ablett/Dangerfield in the class of 2017.

Early days but I'd say they look like a good honest crop of players and most will go on to play 10+ years and 150+ games without being superstars. Not sure there's a Judd/Pavlich/Hodge/Ablett/Dangerfield in the class of 2017.
Yeah, but they are all once in a generation players....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back