Preview 2018 Hawthorn war-chest of awesomeness and envy!

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be watching a different game. He is not worth 800 a year let alone 1.5.

If any club considers paying Tom Lynch 1.5 per year then all the best with that because it won’t be Hawthorn.

Crazy Talk.
I disagree. Whilst he isn't Wayne Carey he is actually a very good KPF. I think that gets lost a bit because of who he plays for and the dreadful service he gets. In a quality team in Victoria, he would be doing very nicely indeed.

$1.5m a season is probably GCS starting offer for him. New CBA, no star players left, captain and off the back of losing JOM, Ablett, Prestia in the last few years, $1.5m won't be their final offer.

I disagree. Whilst he isn't Wayne Carey he is actually a very good KPF. I think that gets lost a bit because of who he plays for and the dreadful service he gets. In a quality team in Victoria, he would be doing very nicely indeed.

$1.5m a season is probably GCS starting offer for him. New CBA, no star players left, captain and off the back of losing JOM, Ablett, Prestia in the last few years, $1.5m won't be their final offer.

You have 12 Mill to spread over 40 odd players. Do you think paying 10% to one player is smart for long term growth and development?

You have 12 Mill to spread over 40 odd players. Do you think paying 10% to one player is smart for long term growth and development?
No, I don't think its a good idea, but I'd guess its done at a majority of clubs, Buddy/Swans, Dusty/Tigers, Fyfe/Freo, Boyd/Bulldogs, etc.
It's the philosophy of the club and the list manager that makes that decision. It's not what we did during 2013-15, and perhaps is the way to go, but hasn't stopped other clubs

Most clubs will have a few Rookies who can each have $80k outside TPP
From the primary list of 38-40 you get first and second year players who are going to be on $80-100k probably 6-10 on the average list

So you have maybe 30 spots to carve up $11 mil between, with the minimum wage this year being $105k

You could put everyone on around $350 but the reality is there will be a spread.

Now putting someone on 1.2mil is still big coin but it's not out of the question while maintaining a reasonable list balance for a few years. It's really as much a question of the impact on culture as it is on salary cap

No, I don't think its a good idea, but I'd guess its done at a majority of clubs, Buddy/Swans, Dusty/Tigers, Fyfe/Freo, Boyd/Bulldogs, etc.
It's the philosophy of the club and the list manager that makes that decision. It's not what we did during 2013-15, and perhaps is the way to go, but hasn't stopped other clubs

My point is that having multiple players kick 30-50 for the season and sharing the spotlight and cash seems to me a better option than having one player on 1.5 Mill still only kicking 30-50 per season.

If we get the midfield right then we have Impey, Rioli, Breust, Burton, Roughead and Gunston all still capable of kicking 30-50

1.5ish is a lot of dough and that sort of coin could get us another 2 quality midfielders to form a brilliant combination with O’Meara and Mitchell and that’s what I think we will be looking to do.

If we get the midfield right then we have Impey, Rioli, Breust, Burton, Roughead and Gunston all still capable of kicking 30-50

You clearly haven’t read the Cyril thread.

He’s not coming back

Ever ;)

Apparently he’s got no mates there, doesn’t like what Clarko did to Mitch, Lewis, Hodge, Gibbo, Mark Graham

My point is that having multiple players kick 30-50 for the season and sharing the spotlight and cash seems to me a better option than having one player on 1.5 Mill still only kicking 30-50 per season.

1.5ish is a lot of dough and that sort of coin could get us another 2 quality midfielders to form a brilliant combination with O’Meara and Mitchell and that’s what I think we will be looking to do.
IF Clarko and Wrighty were targeting Lynch, it wouldn't be to kick 30 goals a year. Remember, only 4 years ago they offered Buddy $1.2-1.5m a year to be our spearhead.

No matter what our strategy is, Lynch would be worth $1.5m a year to the majority of clubs, not $800,000.

$1.5m would not get us 2 quality mids. Sloane won't be entertaining offers under $1m a season, and Coniglio would be looking for close to that. Ditto Gaff. It's players market.

Those 3 deals all worth it for those 3 clubs.

Of course paying him that much for the same output would be a bust. The idea would be he would be a significant improvement over the rest of the players we have. That forward line you listed will be very very good for the next few years but we also need to plan for the future as well. Lynch would be a great addition to those players over the next few years and would make a great replacement once the big Rough calls it a day.

Our ability to get in a Key Forward is really hampered by our need to regenerate ASAP.

We want elite talent across the board so trading for them is tough whilst also going after our next midfield etc. Our thirst for trades often leaves us bare when the draft comes along.

We know the best ones go well before our traditional first pick in the 20-30s.

We haven't really got any legups with father sons like Daniher or Hawkins.

Free agency is by FAR our best avenue to getting our next elite linchpin forward and if we can trade and draft for elite players every off-season AND still preserve enough funds to go large for Lynch the I'm all for it.

Literally every position bar elite KPF can be brought in cheaply/drafted well for.

Let's get him for whatever he costs.

We can always downsize his next contract.

Jaeger will love playing with his old mate Tommy again, and of course Conigs when he makes his way down too.

Jaeger will love playing with his old mate Tommy again, and of course Conigs when he makes his way down too.
We would go from the worst midfield in the comp (if Bigfooty opinions are to be believed) to the best in an instant.

We would go from the worst midfield in the comp (if Bigfooty opinions are to be believed) to the best in an instant.
I know, right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just can't see lynch happening. would need to spend near $1.5m pa which is something we just don't do.

Who was the last premiership side with a dominant key position forward? It wasn’t Richmond and it wasn’t the Bulldogs. And arguably it wasn’t Hawthorn with Rough very much a utility and Buddy more a very tall flanker than a traditional marking key forward.

The last traditional marking key forward was probably Hawkins and before him Cloke.

So is one required? And is a $1m one the best use of salary cap space?

$1.5m would not get us 2 quality mids. Sloane won't be entertaining offers under $1m a season, and Coniglio would be looking for close to that. Ditto Gaff. It's players market.
The names you have mentioned are elite. There are plenty of 'quality' mids being paid sub $750k pa eg Pertracca, Shuey, Sidebottom, Viney, Wines, Neale...

Free agent don't have to take the biggest offer you know.

If Lynch or Gaff or whoever are just about money then they wont be coming here.

Those 3 deals all worth it for those 3 clubs.

The issue with paying that sort of money isn't the actual salary cap money they use. You can always drop a role player or 2 and draft a kid and find they money.

The problem imo, comes when or if you become a successful team over time its very hard to sign up your other players. While Martin is clearly worthy of that deal, what happens when Rance or someone has a new contract and you need him to take unders ? He's not taking 500k less than Martin, so you gove him a but more, which has a flow on effect and you end up losing a Tom Mitchell or 2.

Success will generally encourage players to take unders but it kinda needs to be an all in thing.

So paying Lynch 1.3 or whatever even if we can afford now can have consequences downs the line when we get back to the top again.

The issue with paying that sort of money isn't the actual salary cap money they use. You can always drop a role player or 2 and draft a kid and find they money.

The problem imo, comes when or if you become a successful team over time its very hard to sign up your other players. While Martin is clearly worthy of that deal, what happens when Rance or someone has a new contract and you need him to take unders ? He's not taking 500k less than Martin, so you gove him a but more, which has a flow on effect and you end up losing a Tom Mitchell or 2.

Success will generally encourage players to take unders but it kinda needs to be an all in thing.

So paying Lynch 1.3 or whatever even if we can afford now can have consequences downs the line when we get back to the top again.

That's our dilemma at the moment though isn't it ? We are going to try and offer unders to targets despite the fact we aren't a top 8 side anymore.

That's our dilemma at the moment though isn't it ? We are going to try and offer unders to targets despite the fact we aren't a top 8 side anymore.
By the time the offer needs to be accepted we will be a top 4 side

Where’s your faith

We need the stars to align to be a top 4 side, starting with the return to the club of Cyril pronto.
Whether Cyril plays pronto or not, the clubs fortunes won't rest on one player.

We'd need an extremely good run with injury and all our key pieces playing close to their best if we want to be around the top 4 is what I'm saying.
A Richmond-2017-esque type season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back