Autopsy 2018 JLT Series - Game 1: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstan and Armitage will make our midfield a lot better in 2018

Stevens no place if those two are up and about, unless Steele drops off

Acres looked a bit lost, but his application and physicality was good

Players' chemistry and understanding will come with games

Long, Weller and Lonie all underwhelmed. That small forward role remains up for grabs, alongside Gresham

Watched most of the game. Not going to get carried away over our first hitout.

Positives:

Hunter Clark. Let's not stuff around with this guy he needs games, he looks the full package.

Have to admit I didn't notice Coffield much but 20 touches in your first outing in a good effort.

Gresh, Sinclair, Membrey, pretty much all I can remember for now.

Yeah, Hunters 12 possessions must have ben a lot more flashy because I didn't notice Coffield racking them up as much as he did. I would have thought it was the other way round. Both looked ready to go from round one and were the biggest positive to me. Well that and Armo returning to footy.

So, what are people's thoughts about tonight's game?
Lonie, Long and Wright should never play again in R,W and B.
Armo and Steven looked fit and ready for a good season
Sinclair was noticeably a bit off his '17 form
Clark and Coffield looked at home and will be 200+ game players with some luck on tonights ability
Dunstan looked in good form, The Goat did some nice things.
Paddy was my highlight, looks fit and confident. If he can just get a run at it, anything is possible.
Membrey in good form.
Steele looked off his tucker, needs his hair back.

Thats all i can remember for now.

Cant give 2 sh.ts about result

Long, Weller and Lonie all underwhelmed. That small forward role remains up for grabs, alongside Gresham

Steele had a Barry Crocker tonight, think he was just rusty though. Acres back looks a bad idea, he's unpredictable which isn't great in the backline.

Personally thought Lonie went alright.

Did a lot of good little things that you could see on the TV but which may have been missed by those at the ground.

Lonie, Long and Wright should never play again in R,W and B.
Armo and Steven looked fit and ready for a good season
Sinclair was noticeably a bit off his '17 form
Clark and Coffield looked at home and will be 200+ game players with some luck on tonights ability
Dunstan looked in good form, The Goat did some nice things.
Paddy was my highlight, looks fit and confident. If he can just get a run at it, anything is possible.
Membrey in good form.
Steele looked off his tucker, needs his hair back.

Thats all i can remember for now.

Cant give 2 sh.ts about result

Long was funny, he did a couple of chases that were incredible but had a few unlucky things go against him where he gave away frees. He looks like he needs some confidence in his game. I'd give him another go, there were little glimpses tonight. Wright was similrar but with out as many glimpses besides his snap goal.

Acres should switch b/w forward and midfield

It's a good midfield, if all players are fit and firing

Armitage, Steven, both a grade players when fit

Plus Ross, Dunstan and Steele.

Yeah he will be a gun too.
No doubt efficiency killed us early but I thought it was more their speed that topped us.

Yeah they have lots of quick kids, even Silvagni was running away from our players. They have Petrevski Seton to come back too.

I'm giving Long benefit of the doubt

Needs more pre-seasons under his belt. Think the talent is there

Can't explain Weller's drop off

Lonie was decent tonight. Still don't think he's a long term solution. Happy to be proven wrong. If he keeps laying tackles like he did in the third when he jumped and took the hit while sticking the tackle then he deserves a go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm giving Long benefit of the doubt

Needs more pre-seasons under his belt. Think the talent is there

Can't explain Weller's drop off

Lonie was decent tonight. Still don't think he's a long term solution. Happy to be proven wrong. If he keeps laying tackles like he did in the third when he jumped and took the hit while sticking the tackle then he deserves a go

Lonie was able to stick more of his tackles which was good and a few little bits of really clever play. Mav was really disappointing I was hoping he'd come in fired up.

See that's where I have a different opinion, we have an ordinary list. When two first gamers are among the classiest players on the ground you know the list is a bit average. Gresham, Billings, Clark, Coffield, Sinclair all classy. Blake Acres, Dustan, Members and Paddy look good prospects. And of the older boys Steven, Carlisle, Armo and Roberton are very good. Geary good. I think we still have a bottom 8 list but a very good application like Sydney do. We are honest toilers but not really anywhere near finished rebuilding. Our game plan is designed to cover for a lot of flaws in our game but it's hard work. It can all click into gear pretty quickly but I'm not convinced the post Roo era is going to be like a light switching on yet. I'm not writing the season off but I'm not cancelling holidays during finals time yet.
We kind of agree....
I think we're two elite mids off having a good 6-7 year run at it. However we haven't landed those free agents and don't look like doing so on current trend. I agree as it stands we are lingering in the average range. The difference two gun mids would make to our current crop would have us top 4 nearly, without them we will hover in the 8-12 region.
I do think that on paper we should be better than last year the way things stand with players fitness and age bracket. Only thing that will see us stagnate us is a flawed gameplan, lack of cohesion, etc. Currently I've seen no evidence Richo is up to the job, he has the right to improve though, hopefully he does.

Admittedly I haven't seen tonight's game, and will miss the first half of the season being OS still.... I'm relying on you guys

Acres could replace Weller up forward and bring a lot more to the forward line

Gresham Bruce Acres
Billings McCartin Membrey

Rotate Acres and Armitage and Steven through the forward pocket

The addition of Paddy and Armo into the team for a full season is going to be amazing for our finals push. They're the 2 that stood out for me tonight, dunstan had some really nice centre clearance work too.

The positives:
  • Injury free (Not sure about Wellers ankle). Looked like he hurt it and his run seemed to disappear.
  • Jack Steven looked fit again. Not entirely sure how I feel when I see him as the deepest forward, but overall he looks like his body is going to allow him to play some big games again.
  • David Armitage is back. If that's him shaking rust off then we should all be pumped. 24 disposals, 14 contested, 8 clearances and 4 tackles 83.3% disposal efficiency.
  • Shane Savages form continues. When he bangs one from the fifty and it falls short you know it's a dirty day for kicking into the wind.
  • 4 more quarters into Paddy. 3 Contested marks tonight and two goals in the wind and the dark.
  • Hunter Clark looks like a player. I thought he showed a bit more than Paddy Dow. Picked another pocket tonight and settled nicely into the game the longer it went on. 12 disposals at 91.7% in his first outing.
  • Coffield also looks the goods. Never panics with the ball in hand. Disposal wasn't as tidy as I thought it might be, but 20 possessions, 15 kicks. He's backing himself in.
  • Gresham looked good when he ran through the midfield in the last. Genuinely knows where to go to find it.
  • Marshall showed a bit in the ruck. Certainly more than Bruce or Gilbert. It's a pity we didn't get to see him kick it or clunk one.
Negatives:
  • Gilberts skills
  • Skills in general. Looked like we have been training indoors all pre-season.
  • The guys we need to improve in 2018 were very average tonight. Newnes, Roberton, Ross, Weller, Acres, Dunstan, Steele, Sinclair, Longer all need to do a little bit more. I remain optimistic.
Thoughts:
  • Membrey needs support. The pressure is well and truly on McCartin and Bruce to attract defenders and allow Membrey to roam. We will struggle if he is the focal point. Bring Bruce Back.
  • Really need to pump miles into Longer. Won the hitouts, but I thought Kreuzer pantsed him.
  • Nathan Wright looks done. Not sure how many quarters he played for Sandy before running on, so the comment might be unfair. But his body language is not inspiring. I'd rather see how Ben Paton goes to be brutally honest.
  • Lonie pushing hard to be in the 22. Thought his defensive intent was good again.
  • Nathan Brown looked a shade of his 2017 self. I wouldn't mind seeing Goddard and Austin run through the fullback position in JLT2.
upload_2018-2-28_20-33-39.png

On the wing for the first quarter, in the Legends stand after that. I went to a lot of games at Waverley and Moorabbin in mid-winter - tonight's were not close to bad conditions. Or are we so used to Docklands?
For those who saw the Sandringham Game, did anyone put there hands up for a game in the Seniors? And how did the new players go?

Yep

Bruce outstanding except for kicking for goal

White very very good

Paton & Langlands ...not yet ready

Minchington got a lot of the ball...but unfortunately is just not good enough .

You can tell by richos presser we were going out there to win. The message all pre season has been about winning every game.

Same s**t as last season. Players as a collective didn't rock up for the first bounce (hard to tell if it's just pre season) and our ball movement/structure was atrocious, which is the big concern. That s**t doesn't change pre season vs regular season.

Would be a real worry if no real improvements from last season...it's what's holding you back from a top 8 spot more than anything IMO.

Not sure if i saw a clear change in gameplan? Carlton were clearly more attacking than last year, but we are coming from further back so changes are more obvious.

Form of Clarke, Coffield, McCartin, Armitage & Steven encouraging for you blokes, though there does seem to still be a handful of players not up to it who may be holding the team back.

I only watched 5 minutes I can’t stand JLT, I saw Steven running like he used to which was good.last year we thumped Carlton and only just beat port, and those games were similar to what happened in the real matches later in the year,except we didn’t thump Carlton by as much. The only thing I care about from saints is skills, if they continue to miss targets and kick points I’m not watching, they won’t make the 12 if they continue with this crap..they need some speed, skill and excitement. I don’t want to see Gilbert, Weller, Lonie, brown,armo—- * em off.
Trade paddy for a skilful mid, I reckon battle will be better.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I only watched 5 minutes I can’t stand JLT, I saw Steven running like he used to which was good.last year we thumped Carlton and only just beat port, and those games were similar to what happened in the real matches later in the year,except we didn’t thump Carlton by as much. The only thing I care about from saints is skills, if they continue to miss targets and kick points I’m not watching, they won’t make the 12 if they continue with this crap..they need some speed, skill and excitement. I don’t want to see Gilbert, Weller, Lonie, brown,armo—- **** em off.
Trade paddy for a skilful mid, I reckon battle will be better.

For your information:
- Paddy had more disposals than some of our "key" players, played 4 quarters and kicked 2 goals. That's a good outcome.
- Lonie actually tried a lot today, he needs to work on his tackling bit more but it was good today. But he was far from our worst player.
- I'm not sure if you even watched the game because Armo absolutely killed it, he literally hasn't played since 2016 expect those 2 games in 2017.

For your information:
- Paddy had more disposals than some of our "key" players, played 4 quarters and kicked 2 goals. That's a good outcome.
- Lonie actually tried a lot today, he needs to work on his tackling bit more but it was good today. But he was far from our worst player.
- I'm not sure if you even watched the game because Armo absolutely killed it, he literally hasn't played since 2016 expect those 2 games in 2017.

I didn’t watch the game, I’m sure paddy will be good, but we have too many tall forwards Bruce, membrey,battle, mccartin..we lack skilled mids like a Martin,Dangerfield,Selwood, etc. really think we should try to trade and get something

Lonie tried hard, but never kicks goals— we need a small forward to kick goals, or at least hold the ball in with fierce tackling.

I’m sure armo will be good, but we have too many boring plodders in the middle, who are slow and turn it over,where is the speed, skill and excitement. Stevens in top form is the exception apart from his sprays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back