2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Toledo comes across as one of those extremely arrogant, smarmy little piss pants who used to turn his nose up at people who played sport and would be the media teacher's pet because he knew how to cut up clips on iMovie because his parents had a Mac at home. Like if you met someone who went to school with him they'd be like 'yeah he sort of didn't want to be anyone's friend.'
Thats a weirdly specific scenario.....

Will Toledo comes across as one of those extremely arrogant, smarmy little piss pants who used to turn his nose up at people who played sport and would be the media teacher's pet because he knew how to cut up clips on iMovie because his parents had a Mac at home. Like if you met someone who went to school with him they'd be like 'yeah he sort of didn't want to be anyone's friend.'

Like just the name. 'Carseat Headrest.' It's like that really Pitchfork 'rock' name that basically sucks. Shades of emo.

The whole Smashmouth thing is so lame too. It's like making a Nickelback joke. Wow, they're really corny and 2000s and used to tint their hair! It's not a funny joke in 2018 and when your band does memes for actual physical material you know you're a ****head. Sort of dude who'd pre-order one of those all-in-one SNESs they recently brought out and who'd work a lame arse corporate retail gig and belittle everyone and speak to them like s**t despite him having a Super Mario pin on his work polo.
Yeah, I wish Smash Mouth would just go away. 'All Star' is the go-to joke for people with no personality.

I'm still absolutely baffled by his take on Carrie & Lowell. His take was: "I wish Carrie & Lowell felt less like a succesfull exercise in generating "sadness" and more like a collection of songs that the artist cared about writing."

Not only is that such a grossly pretentious way of putting it, but how on Earth can you imply an album about one's dead mother is disingenuous? Of all complaints you could make about the album, that has to be up there as the most embarrassing. To say it about a Sufjan album in general when you compare Sufjan's work to Will's is embarrassing. If anyone comes across as disingenuous out of those two, it's not Sufjan.

Then there was that diatribe he wrote about The Life of Pablo.

There are still some absolute tunes on Teens of Denial, but there are very few people in the industry I despise more right now than Will Toledo.

Car Seat Headrest’s Twin Fantasy rerelease is absolutely spectacular. I only discovered them after Teens Of Denial and had never gotten around to listening to the original. But s**t is it a worthy listen.
Loved Teens of Style and Denial, put Twin Fantasy on yesterday but there was so much going on in the background, I really didn't take it in. Looking forward to listening to it and seeing them next weekend.

I'm curious, but reluctant to listen. I really liked Teens of Denial for the first few months and then pretty much after I saw him at Laneway, I had no interest in returning to it. Probably doesn't help that Will Toledo comes across as an unlikeable twat.

I'll probably have to give it a shot with the press it's been getting though.
I'm surprised, I thought his Laneway set last year was one of the best of the day; my wife hadn't heard anything from them and she loved it. Don't know anything about Toledo and don't really need to in order to enjoy his music. If he is a twat, it's probably because he looked like McLovin from Superbad, got picked on a lot and is now inexplicably a rock start that gets chicks. *, now I'm beginning to hate him :p

Loved Teens of Style and Denial, put Twin Fantasy on yesterday but there was so much going on in the background, I really didn't take it in. Looking forward to listening to it and seeing them next weekend.

I'm surprised, I thought his Laneway set last year was one of the best of the day; my wife hadn't heard anything from them and she loved it. Don't know anything about Toledo and don't really need to in order to enjoy his music. If he is a twat, it's probably because he looked like McLovin from Superbad, got picked on a lot and is now inexplicably a rock start that gets chicks. ****, now I'm beginning to hate him :p
Don't get me wrong, he put on a decent set for sure. Just had no desire to return to his music after it.

So Muse have dropped their latest turd

They're basically Imagine Dragons or some other naff-grandiose band these days. Cool clip though.

Muse are so ******* lame.

Like, if you went to a Muse show you'd just see people in Muse tees everywhere.

Hahaha well they used to be amazing so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dirty Computer only 2 months away, two singles on youtube.

Looks like Janelle has finally unlocked chart domination (probably helped by recent appearances across other media). Certainly threatens to be a massive jukebox album (which the two videos and album title nod towards). A blockbuster visual album.

Time will tell whether it even comes close to ArchAndroid and Electric Lady (probably not), but just rapt to have her back and (based on this) achieving big. Hopefully the Arctics and Anna Calvi also return with long belated follow ups to 2013.

Muse were a bit of alright until their fandom became vile around the time of 'Starlight'. I like to think of HAARP as their goodbye release, and forget everything else after even exists. But even their earlier releases haven't aged well.

I feel sorry for Smash Mouth. They were just a fine guilty pleasure band, with "Walking on the Sun" coming in for a lot of nostalgic love, until the Shrek meme crew annexed "All Star" forevermore. The movie "Rat Race" is the last time Smash Mouth should ever be seen, that was the full stop of their fame.

Last edited:
Starlight is actually a really nice song, I used to love it as a kid when it'd come on Triple J.

Their set got canned at Lolla due to the rain (I wasn't seeing them anyway) but the next night the Killers did a cover of Starlight. I was so pissed but man it was fun.

huge gaslight fan... just cant get into his solo stuff at all

Fair enough, it is quite a bit different to Gaslight. Not sure if he'll ever be able to top Handwritten, I love that album

Muse were a world class rock band, glad I got to see them in 2008. Drones wasn't too bad after a couple of duds, but nothing to get too excited about.

I saw them in 2004, 2006 and 2008 just around their peak form. Amazing shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back