Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Spotless is a big oval. again not ideal. let alone the issues with how often other sports(concerts) use the oval. WSW have stuffed up their time away from Parra. Hopefully, better results next year inside the new stadium will get the fans back.

I was thinking more about where Sydney FC play. Though it is an "oval" as well, it is a very small one, similar to Lakeside. It is the blueprint for other other clubs. (hey Brisbane, Wellington).

You really can't comment on the soccer cheerleaders.
Spotkess is used by the Sydney Thunder, The Easter Show and occasional special events. You're confusing it with ANZ.

WSW never wanted to play soccer there, ANZ is much more suitable as an interim measure, it's a square stadium.. Very likely financials ruled it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Long term I think they are doing the right thing in extending the competition and making it more meaningful (which still needs a lot of work). If they can be seen as more legitimate and get people more invested they will reap the rewards financially. In Regards to tv ratings I’m not sure they are actually down that much if you add the Fox and 7 together??? Either way most teams would be getting ten times more hours of tv viewers over the season than what A league teams do, so they have huge potential to grow their sponsorship. They would also get more than a lot of AFL and NRL clubs so they clearly have way more possible growth compared to other sports teams if they can get it right.

BobbyMorri

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
Spotkess is used by the Sydney Thunder, The Easter Show and occasional special events. You're confusing it with ANZ.

WSW never wanted to play soccer there, ANZ is much more suitable as an interim measure, it's a square stadium.. Very likely financials ruled it out.
i was talking more about this incident from Spotless

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/foo...at-spotless-stadium/96nws4urh884169d9knwymnnk

Its really isn't ideal. The venue really hasn't been the best host for WSW. Such is life.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS

Tassieboy

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
More than 30k for the Brisbane Heat last night. Shows the folly of moving 2 games to the Gold Coast.

For home ground scheduled games Adelaide’s average attendance is 36k (4 games), Perth 40k (2 games) and Brisbane 29k (2 games). That’s very decent.

It’s Melbourne and Sydney which are stinking it up. This is where the problems lie and why I argue the 2 teams things has failed.

Thunder average 13k (3 games), Sixers 20k (2 games), Stars exc Derby 25k (1 game), Renegades 19k (3 games).

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
More than 30k for the Brisbane Heat last night. Shows the folly of moving 2 games to the Gold Coast.

For home ground scheduled games Adelaide’s average attendance is 36k (4 games), Perth 40k (2 games) and Brisbane 29k (2 games). That’s very decent.

It’s Melbourne and Sydney which are stinking it up. This is where the problems lie and why I argue the 2 teams things has failed.

Thunder average 13k (3 games), Sixers 20k (2 games), Stars exc Derby 25k (1 game), Renegades 19k (3 games).
Why exclude the Derby when the biggest advantage of having two team cities are because of Derby’s.

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Why exclude the Derby when the biggest advantage of having two team cities are because of Derby’s.
This is true, but Derbies effectively have 2 sets of home fans attend, so in a comparison of how well supported teams are, they are a distortion.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Half of NRL and AFL games are Derbies.
Yes, and if comparing sports, they should be included, as they are a normal part of that sport. In the context of the original post, it is arguable that as they were talking about the appeal of the BBL, then they should be included. However, if you are trying to draw a baseline on the sorts of pull BBL teams have, then they are a bit misleading. There isn't a right answer, you just need to be aware of the data you are using, and its implications.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Last year both Melbourne clubs averaged around 30k with the 2 Sydney clubs 25k and 15k. Other than the Thunder their crowds were pretty comparable.

You reckon calling it a failure because of a couple of games this season might be a bit of an overreaction?

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS

Wheres Tassies avg?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

NoobPie

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just looking at the STV ratings from yesterday

The second innings of the ODI got 405K. I would have thought foxtel and CA would be stoked with those numbers.

The Socceroos got just 49K for its last group stage game in the Asian cup. It was on a midnight but it sure does demonstrate the gaping chasm between Socceroos-at-the-world-cup support and their general support

The Roar v Victory game got 26K. Prime time on a Tuesday night.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
E
Just looking at the STV ratings from yesterday

The second innings of the ODI got 405K. I would have thought foxtel and CA would be stoked with those numbers.

The Socceroos got just 49K for its last group stage game in the Asian cup. It was on a midnight but it sure does demonstrate the gaping chasm between Socceroos-at-the-world-cup support and their general support

The Roar v Victory game got 26K. Prime time on a Tuesday night.
Seems huge! What’s the biggest AFL or NRL game I wonder?

The_Wookie

Queenslander
AFL Club
Carlton
Moderator #1,522
E

Seems huge! What’s the biggest AFL or NRL game I wonder?
Biggest AFL games I can find is

1. Richmond v GWS Prelim 2017 at 552,000.
2. Richmond v Collingwood Prelim 2018 at 545,000
3. GWS v Bulldogs Prelim 2016 at 534,000.

Best NRL game i can find is 486,000 in R26, 2016 for Cronulla v Melbourne to decide the minor premiership.

AFL Club
GWS
Biggest AFL games I can find is

1. Richmond v GWS Prelim 2017 at 552,000.
2. Richmond v Collingwood Prelim 2018 at 545,000
3. GWS v Bulldogs Prelim 2016 at 534,000.

Best NRL game i can find is 486,000 in R26, 2016 for Cronulla v Melbourne to decide the minor premiership.
I fully understand us appearing twice in the top 3. Who wouldn't want to watch the Giants in action.

harrythetiger

Summited Everest 30/9/17
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I'm feeling like a broken record on this. The BBL needs to be shorter. Start it a little bit earlier (mid December) so the tournament is really in the public eye before the Christmas/new year period. The final should be on Australia Day, before school starts again. It's sooooo lonnggg and that is making it boring.

Top Bottom