jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Cricket can do more growing on the subcontinent. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh all have rapidly growing populations.
Thats a myth actually. They had rapidly growing populations a generation ago. Now days, Australias growth rate (with immigration), is higher than India and Bangladesh, and not much lower than Pakistan. So if your banking on the subcontinent breeding its way to cricket supremacy, sorry, not happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Thats a myth actually. They had rapidly growing populations a generation ago. Now days, Australias growth rate (with immigration), is higher than India and Bangladesh, and not much lower than Pakistan. So if your banking on the subcontinent breeding its way to cricket supremacy, sorry, not happening.
India alone has a bigger population than Europe and South America combined. They are just a poor country so no one acknowledges/is aware of the popularity of the sport.

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
India alone has a bigger population than Europe and South America combined. They are just a poor country so no one acknowledges/is aware of the popularity of the sport.
True, cricket in terms of pure numbers, is an enormously popular sport, the fact that most of them are Indian means that to countries like the US, this doesn't count.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Are you relying on %s ... ?

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Are you relying on %s ... ?
Are you relying on numbers?
The whole world is growing, People still think the Indian subcontinent is growing faster than most other places, its not. If the Indian population is growing, in percentage terms, not faster than the rest of the world, then India is adding cricket fans, no faster than the rest of the world is adding non cricket fans, slower actually, as there are a lot more non Indians, than there are Indians.

The point I was making, and the argument I was countering, is that growth in the size of the Indian population is not going to advantage Cricket over other sports, as the growth rate, in percentage terms, of India, is a lot lower than people think it is,and not significantly different from the rest of the non cricket mad world. We cannot rely on Indians breeding cricket to the most popular sport in the world.

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Not all the world - large parts of Europe, plus Russia, Japan and South Korea are already in decline and after about 2040 to 2050, the overall world population will be in permanent decline.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/earth-s-population-may-start-to-fall-from-2040-does-it-matter-1.3808527
Maybe I should have said, the world as a whole is growing, and yes, its growing due to ageing, not birth rates, so there is a limit to how much it can rise, but this is as true of India, as of everywhere else.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
RU seems to be in a world of pain as far as crowds go.

No 'magic bullet' for Super Rugby's crowd crisis: Castle

By Georgina Robinson and Chris Dutton
June 19, 2019 — 4.43pm
  • Rugby Australia boss Raelene Castle has admitted there is no "magic bullet" in the fight to arrest the alarming crowd slide in Super Rugby as the Brumbies look to avoid a potential $100,000 financial hit this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

manicmagpie

A slice of fried gold
Jul 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-announce-plans-for-promotion-and-relegation-in-the-a-league-20190620-p51zpz.html

Football Federation Australia have laid the foundations for what could eventually be promotion and relegation from the A-League, recommending a national second division be introduced in two years' time.
If issues such as funding, broadcasting and commercial partners are solved, the national second division could start in 2021.
Just a couple of trivial matters in the way, then.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
But even the major sports don't have national second divisions
True and that's more to do with the old states protecting themselves.

If it's run with a small cap and financials worked out I can't see why not.

We have a baseball and ice hockey national comp so anything is possible.

manicmagpie

A slice of fried gold
Jul 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

A lower level comp can be accommodated relatively easily with realistic financials but this comp will have to be good enough so that teams can step up to the top tier. Otherwise the whole exercise is pointless.

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well in Australian football I would suggest it is my the states trying to preserving their heritage...i.e the SANFL is the oldest football league in the world since the effective disbanding of the VFA. What benefit is there from ending that to form a far more expensive national 2nd tier competition?

The ice hockey competition is amateur and 7 of the 8 teams are in the south east corner of the country. The baseball league had its funding cut from the MLB and it is limping along. They are both 8 team competitions

I seriously doubt they can make the financials work. If it is to be a pro-rel competition than it needs to be professional. Even if it isn't, from what I here the NPL clubs already extort money out of families to be part of their academies / elite teams.

Gigantor

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
the NPL clubs already extort money out of families to be part of their academies / elite teams.
It's a massive money spinner for the state league clubs, and for the most part, a bit of a rort

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The ice hockey competition is amateur and 7 of the 8 teams are in the south east corner of the country. The baseball league had its funding cut from the MLB and it is limping along. They are both 8 team competitions
The ABL is also a fairly unique structure with all teams owned by the league and I believe the league pay all salaries on a tier system. No way is a 2nd division in soccer going to have anything close to that sort of setup. Controlling costs will be impossible with every team looking to spend to make the 1st division.

The problem with a lot of ideas that come from within soccer is that they're coming from the view of a hardcore fan - and there just aren't that many of them to make these ideas work. The FFA Cup is a recent example - it sounds like a great idea to the couple of hundred people that watch Marconi every week. The reality is that virtually no-one watches it, the A-League clubs and fans mostly don't give a s**t (at least until the final) and now Fox wants to dump it.

In saying all of that, good luck to them. I kinda hope it works if they can get it off the ground with a bunch of traditional clubs from around the country.

Top Bottom