Autopsy 2018 post-trade week wrap!

Remove this Banner Ad

How good is it to have Noble and Ambrogio on our side. I'm blown away to see the way the club has matured in 2 short years. In Fagan, Swann, Noble and Ambrogio we have a real brains trust who have a plan, understand the battlefield and know how to play the game.

The real win for me is confirmation that the adults are in charge. I cannot remember ever having this amount of faith in our off field team. And perhaps the irony is none buy into the "poor Brisbane" routine we all got accustomed too.

To get all our targets, retain a decent draft position and win an ambushed trade is nothing less than a 10/10 for me.

Our trade this morning with the suns is still a bit curious and possibly not totally necessary

If it wasn't for that trade I'd say 9/10 but that probably knocks it down to 8/10

I think the separation it gave to the Beams deal is the thing that made it critical. Alone it's weird - on the whole it was an important piece in the puzzle.

I think the separation it gave to the Beams deal is the thing that made it critical. Alone it's weird - on the whole it was an important piece in the puzzle.

I actually think it was the smartest move of the entire trade period. Flipped things on their head.

If we didn't do that we wouldn't have received a good deal for beams, 100%. Would have been Beams and 5 for Neale and a future second.

I was so confused at first (Nunez can confirm) but it worked out brilliantly for us. We were snookered and then positioned ourselves out of it.

Right now it looks like we have done OK this year. Neale is a great addition.

I thought the neale/beams mega trade stuff was interesting. Possibly overblown media hype but it does sound like Collingwood tried to pull a bit of a swifty and insert themselves into the Neale trade with nothing but a first round pick to offer for Beams. I'm really glad we didn't fall for that and managed to separate the trades and get some decent value.

I think this year could look really good or really bad in hindsight come a few years time. We've taken some risks and need to get a few wins out Adams/McCarthy/18 & Collingwoods 1st / GC's 2nd (They will win the spoon next year - will only be 1 off a first rd pick). If that all falls into place you could be looking at multiple best 22 players in Neale one of McCarthy / Adams and an exciting youngster or 2 (Hopefully in the McCluggage, Berry or Rayner class!). We've taken some risks but there's at least an OK fall back position if we do well enough in the draft.

I actually think it was the smartest move of the entire trade period. Flipped things on their head.

If we didn't do that we wouldn't have received a good deal for beams, 100%. Would have been Beams and 5 for Neale and a future second.

I was so confused at first (Nunez can confirm) but it worked out brilliantly for us. We were snookered and then positioned ourselves out of it.
A clever move, but it's a wee bit of a bummer that we had to play that card as a result of being caught between bringing in a big trade while dealing with a big player out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dlanod said:
IN: Neale, Adams, McCarthy, picks 18, 30, 35, 55, 56, 78, 2019 COL first round pick, 2019 GC second round pick, 2019 FRE third round pick.

OUT: Beams, Mayes, picks 5, 24, 43, 62, 80, 2019 first round pick

If you look at it this way:

Players in:- Neale, Adams, McCarthy Players out:-Beams,Mayes......highly subjective but I would think at least Break Even

Picks:

Out 5, in 18
Out 24, in 30
Out 43, in 35
Out 62, in 55
Out 80 ,in 56
Out 2019 first ,in Coll 2019 first +GG 2019 second + 2019 Freo third +78(this year)

The only really significant “downgrade” is 5 to 18.

24 to 30 less significant but everything else is either clearly in front or likely to be

Of course you have to deal with the unknown of futures but I would think that on the balance of probabilities, we can expect to come out well in front.

plus the added bonus of multiple Deathrides all through 2019:)

I’m giving us 8 out of 10 for this trade period

Last edited:
Collingwood board already talking about getting Raynor, Witherden, Etc

Of course they are. But every club in Vic would be trying to get them.

Both signed up for a number of extra years already, its on us to improve performance wise and retain them. I'm extremely confident in the young talent we have and its good we will still get to make some early picks this year.

I'm tipping Hugh and bez to take another step up and really start becoming young stars.

It's an 8/10 if Beams seriously did not want to play for us under any circumstance, the words he spoke was that if a deal couldn't be done he'd be fine to stay but it seems that wasn't the case.

7/10 if Beams stayed was a viable option and he was speaking the truth.

Adams + McCarthy now need to stay injury free and perform to turn this period into a 9/10, as opposed to a 6/10.

So 8/10 for now.

Did someone say...math?

Here's a happy sight:

Happy with the outcome considering the shitty circumstances - not a lot we really could do and we got the max out of Beams. Adams was a touch pricey but at the end of the day that is just draft picks so really doesn't matter much.

Thanks for the new display pic!

I’m happy overall. I do think we will try and trade 30+35 and then Collingwood’s 2019 First + Gold Coast’s 2019 Second and look to move up this years draft order.
We could have a look around, but i'm not sure there will be a lot of takers. To me, we were very very precise with the picks we got and where they are in the draft. I could be wrong, but looks to me like we will try take 18 and 30 to the draft, then use 35 and remainder maybe on matching academy picks. To bring in Neale and still get 2 live picks in the top 30 in what is considered a strong draft is a great result.

While our first round pick next year drops back to Collingwood's first, we still scored Suns 2nd round pick, which will be early 20's. We go into next year with another 3 picks between 12-30. I consider that a big win.

I think we did ok except the move of trading away our 1st rounder next year. That was bad... Especially then trading out Beams.

It could work out really badly for us if we get some injuries. We should have finished behind Gold Coast this year with a near fully fit list (Andrews and Cameron excluded). We may have traded out a Pick 1-3 next year for peanuts.

With Beama leaving, would we have little or significant room in the salary cap? And would this lead to a payout of any contracts with one year remaining on them to free up more list space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back