2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

So he is this, that and everything else just not good enough to make the team. Plenty the same age or younger who will make the team, so if he is such a talent and I have it wrong why doesn't anybody have him in the team? Because you say it's a terrible argument doesn't make it one.
If we only have 22, good enough to play, then we are in real trouble. Don't be so fixated on "the best 22", it's a silly argument.

No club (injuries or not) play just 22 blokes in a season. So Ben isn't 'best 22', what does that mean? Is he our 23rd or 30th best, and how does that relate to his career or our plans?
Particularly with the age of our team, I'd suggest playing at least 35 of our list would be definitely within our plans. Development, rotation, resting, as well as matching up on opponents means a raft of changes to the weekly team, before factoring in injuries. You've made a dud argument.
Tell me this, if we have minimal injuries, we are winning games and everyone is playing to their potential does he play?

Tell me this, if we have minimal injuries, we are winning games and everyone is playing to their potential does he play?
More than likely.
No club (injuries or not) play just 22 blokes in a season. So Ben isn't 'best 22', what does that mean? Is he our 23rd or 30th best, and how does that relate to his career or our plans?
Particularly with the age of our team, I'd suggest playing at least 35 of our list would be definitely within our plans. Development, rotation, resting, as well as matching up on opponents means a raft of changes to the weekly team, before factoring in injuries. You've made a dud argument.

Its is very unlikely that everyone will play consistently at their best.
And Fagan showed last year that he wouldn't hesitate to send blokes back to the NEAFL if they are not.
So therefore it is very likely that Ben Keays will be given opportunity. It is up to him from there.

If we only have 22, good enough to play, then we are in real trouble. Don't be so fixated on "the best 22", it's a silly argument.
I understand that but I believe he is depth and that is all.

My original argument was that I don't think he will be a good player, according to some that means I hate him and hope he burns in hell.Not sure it is an horrendous argument with what he has shown.

Time will tell.

I'm enjoying reading each and every one of the posts in this Keays argument, because every one I read gets me just a little closer to the start of the regular season!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy there is so much on Keays, if he was a total dud nobody would care. Funny how things work sometimes.

100%. Quite clearly has the ability but extremely tough when most of your senior footy has been played in a position that most exposes your weakenesses.

I think MOST of the vibe around here is positive about him and will be exciting to see not just how he, but how everyone develops!

So he is this, that and everything else just not good enough to make the team. Plenty the same age or younger who will make the team, so if he is such a talent and I have it wrong why doesn't anybody have him in the team? Because you say it's a terrible argument doesn't make it one.

Plenty? Berry, McLuggage, Rayner (all three are elite junior talents), please name the others. Mathieson, much like Keays, would be borderline

Crazy there is so much on Keays, if he was a total dud nobody would care. Funny how things work sometimes.
Its kinda funny isn't it. Based on last season's form, I don't have him near my 22, but I've definitely got a few lower than him. Guys like Dawson and Bell and Frost and Bewick are all below Keays on my list, but they aren't copping nearly that sort of attention... Time will tell though - 3rd year is your traditional breakout year... If Keays broke into the team in round 5 and built into it all year, it wouldn't even slightly surprise me.

For anyone saying Keays has shown promise but hasn't lived up to it, I raise you a Rohan Bewick. For anyone saying that no finals bound team would have such a player on their team, just remember that the Hawks recruited Vickery. Renouf and Spangher won medals. Chris Mayne played in a grannie (bit of a cheap shot?)... (I went back a few years because teams like the Dogs and Tigers were rank outsiders to do what they did).

Plenty? Berry, McLuggage, Rayner (all three are elite junior talents), please name the others. Mathieson, much like Keays, would be borderline

A guy hipwood goes alright, witherdon is a gun, Allison ahead of him, another bloke Harris Andrew's is a whole year older. There is about a third of the team let alone Cox, Matho....
Anyway any bullshit argument with any of those.?

What the attention on Keays tells me is that every season, always, there will be a whipping boy. Regardless of how well the previous whipping boy goes, some punters out there will look for the next target, as though they can't support the team without finding one of them to denigrate. There always has to be one.

Is that supportership? Or is that being a bit of a dick?

What the attention on Keays tells me is that every season, always, there will be a whipping boy. Regardless of how well the previous whipping boy goes, some punters out there will look for the next target, as though they can't support the team without finding one of them to denigrate. There always has to be one.

Is that supportership? Or is that being a bit of a dick?
Easy .;.;.an absolute dick

It is Keays 21st birthday today.

The bloke is a joke.

Coming from a 'non-football' state he should have achieved everything there is in football by now.

Abject failure, please delist.

Happy 21st Ben, don't let the door hit your Jim Beam can on the way out.

A guy hipwood goes alright, witherdon is a gun, Allison ahead of him, another bloke Harris Andrew's is a whole year older. There is about a third of the team let alone Cox, Matho....
Anyway any bullshit argument with any of those.?

Im talking about midfielders hes competing with you moron. Allison hasn't proved anything yet (albeit plays a different position), Cox again a completely different player, Mathieson is the only other genuine age-relevant competition to the same spot apart from the ones earlier mentioned, and they are very close with each having advantages over eachother (Matho better goal kicker, more confident, maybe overhead marking, Keays slightly better field kick, fitter, better footy IQ). Anyway, you're grouping him with some of the best young talent in the comp, just proving yourself wrong ;)

Paine.....no worries...can play a number of roles,leadership credentials, and is the best linebreaker of those mentioned. Witherdon,will probably move into the the midfield at some stage.Wooller is regarded by the coaching staff,as having this potential, and can also play a number of roles.Lyon is ahead of Keays at coaching central incidentally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back