2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Im talking about midfielders hes competing with you moron. Allison hasn't proved anything yet (albeit plays a different position), Cox again a completely different player, Mathieson is the only other genuine age-relevant competition to the same spot apart from the ones earlier mentioned, and they are very close with each having advantages over eachother (Matho better goal kicker, more confident, maybe overhead marking, Keays slightly better field kick, fitter, better footy IQ). Anyway, you're grouping him with some of the best young talent in the comp, just proving yourself wrong ;)
No we were talking about who would make the team, but in true fashion you will move the goal posts on what was said or just make some s**t up about what I said because you have no idea.

Feel free to show me were the midfield was bought up, no you can't because it wasn't.

I didn't group him with anyone I told you who would get a game ahead of him like was being discussed.

You are the moron "I was talking about midfielders", no you weren't, you just are trying to make out you were because you put forward a s**t argument about where he sits amoungst our young talent.

If you are going to have a discussion about something at least have the balls to own what you said and don't put words in people's mouths.

Paine.....no worries...can play a number of roles,leadership credentials, and is the best linebreaker of those mentioned. Witherdon,will probably move into the the midfield at some stage.Wooller is regarded by the coaching staff,as having this potential, and can also play a number of roles.Lyon is ahead of Keays at coaching central incidentally.

Witherden was an omission on my part but didn't come to mind when thinking of immediate inside midfield competition. Not comparing Keays to him at all, Witho is on another stratosphere and a very different player at that.

Wooller? Paine? Neither of those guys have played anything close to an organised AFL sanctioned game yet, they are not apart of this argument until they showcase their wares at senior level. Lyons is starting to show something and very well could challenge Keays but again, yet to play a game.

No we were talking about who would make the team, but in true fashion you will move the goal posts on what was said or just make some s**t up about what I said because you have no idea.

Feel free to show me were the midfield was bought up, no you can't because it wasn't.

I didn't group him with anyone I told you who would get a game ahead of him like was being discussed.

You are the moron "I was talking about midfielders", no you weren't, you just are trying to make out you were because you put forward a s**t argument about where he sits amoungst our young talent.

If you are going to have a discussion about something at least have the balls to own what you said and don't put words in people's mouths.

I think i've made the mistake in actually trying to place where and why you have made this argument about him. You have plainly demonstrated that your simple "I dont rate Keays" opinion isn't stacked up against anything, other than that you a) dont rate him and b) we have other young players all of whom play different positions

Speaking of Keays and how Qld seems to produce more top end tall talent, try name ten quality Qld raised midfielders, Voss, Akermanis, Ashcroft, Armitage, D Beams , Zorko , now I am struggling. This is why we need to give the kid some latitude, at least he won't be deserting the club like one of his draft mates

I guess what this whole discussion highlights is how for the first time in the best part of a decade our list is starting to resemble a more typical AFL side. No longer do we not have choice or depth. Sure they're not mature developed players by any stretch but the luxury of choosing players on talent, merit or skill set to fill a need isn't something we've been blessed with of late.

Add into the mix the positive reviews of Corey Lyons and his footy nous, the ready made Rayner, Eagles who continues to develop, Bailey who has opened a few eyes and these debates over who pushes who out or who is better or worse will rage all year. I honestly have 10 players or so who are only % away from best 22.

Is Keays best 22? Maybe not against West Coast. But maybe he is against St Kilda for example.

The real luxury of our situation is that these KIDS finally get a chance to develop and grow at a pace that best determines their chance to succeed - and with it ours. No more baptisms of fire. Or on field floggings. No more pinch hitting in roles so we can fill a gap.

If it takes Ben Keays 2 more years to become a true AFL star then more power to him. As a Qld'er, a proud Lion, and energetic and enthusiastic clubman he can have all the time he needs. He's a larakin - lets face it he had the temerity to have a drink during the break - but its seems pretty irrefutable the guy is club first. That if nothing else deserves patience after the years of heartache of fly by night players.

This year will see a million of these debates... and that's bloody brilliant.

Speaking of Keays and how Qld seems to produce more top end tall talent, try name ten quality Qld raised midfielders, Voss, Akermanis, Ashcroft, Armitage, D Beams , Zorko , now I am struggling. This is why we need to give the kid some latitude, at least he won't be deserting the club like one of his draft mates

Good point and interesting question.

I'd throw Scott McIvor in there. Could play. Harbrow and Crosisca as flankers. Dickfos was solid. Is that 'quality'?

Certainly not a long list.

Good point and interesting question.

I'd throw Scott McIvor in there. Could play. Harbrow and Crosisca as flankers. Dickfos was solid. Is that 'quality'?

Certainly not a long list.
Dickfos was a defender, Copeland played wing so could be thrown in there. There are a couple on the GC list who could develop, which I suppose is the point, they need time.

Dickfos was a defender, Copeland played wing so could be thrown in there. There are a couple on the GC list who could develop, which I suppose is the point, they need time.
Sexton is a good player.

I guess what this whole discussion highlights is how for the first time in the best part of a decade our list is starting to resemble a more typical AFL side. No longer do we not have choice or depth. Sure they're not mature developed players by any stretch but the luxury of choosing players on talent, merit or skill set to fill a need isn't something we've been blessed with of late.

Add into the mix the positive reviews of Corey Lyons and his footy nous, the ready made Rayner, Eagles who continues to develop, Bailey who has opened a few eyes and these debates over who pushes who out or who is better or worse will rage all year. I honestly have 10 players or so who are only % away from best 22.

Is Keays best 22? Maybe not against West Coast. But maybe he is against St Kilda for example.

The real luxury of our situation is that these KIDS finally get a chance to develop and grow at a pace that best determines their chance to succeed - and with it ours. No more baptisms of fire. Or on field floggings. No more pinch hitting in roles so we can fill a gap.

If it takes Ben Keays 2 more years to become a true AFL star then more power to him. As a Qld'er, a proud Lion, and energetic and enthusiastic clubman he can have all the time he needs. He's a larakin - lets face it he had the temerity to have a drink during the break - but its seems pretty irrefutable the guy is club first. That if nothing else deserves patience after the years of heartache of fly by night players.

This year will see a million of these debates... and that's bloody brilliant.

The Thursday night post selection debates will be interesting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is absolutely fine to criticise team selection. It doesn't mean we think we know more than the coach.
Ofcourse it is. It's one of the reasons, Bigfooty is so much fun.
I personally don't mind a bit of criticism of the players either. It all open for discussion.

It is absolutely fine to criticise team selection. It doesn't mean we think we know more than the coach.
Criticise, or question? “Why would you play 4 talls”? Is less presumptuous than stating “playing 4 talls is crazy”.
To criticise, ignores an absence of all the facts. Decisions may be bewildering, but then we don’t have all the information or rationale for those decisions.

Criticise, or question? “Why would you play 4 talls”? Is less presumptuous than stating “playing 4 talls is crazy”.
To criticise, ignores an absence of all the facts. Decisions may be bewildering, but then we don’t have all the information or rationale for those decisions.

Both criticism and questioning should be welcomed.

Criticism doesn't at all ignore an absence of all the facts, anymore than praise does.

We make assessments based on the facts available. Things would get pretty dull if every post was equivocal.

Witherden was an omission on my part but didn't come to mind when thinking of immediate inside midfield competition. Not comparing Keays to him at all, Witho is on another stratosphere and a very different player at that.

Wooller? Paine? Neither of those guys have played anything close to an organised AFL sanctioned game yet, they are not apart of this argument until they showcase their wares at senior level. Lyons is starting to show something and very well could challenge Keays but again, yet to play a game.
Wooller,not yet,but we are also projecting a bit.Rayner,Bailey and Wooller,tick a number of boxes.I like Keays, however,the main knock on him seems fair to say is his limited versatility.The talent that has come to us in the last two drafts especially, Witherdon and co. has significantly changed things.What passed muster two years ago,is not today's standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back