List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Well lets think about it, in 2017 we had one of the most difficult draws in the comp (not quite as hard as this year, but still right up there) and we won 11 games. Had we had Essendon's piss-easy draw we probably made the 8 instead of them. Maybe even Melbourne's draw.

From the team that we generally had that year we've (so far) lost:

Roo and Joey (who were both well short of their previous best- especially Nick- and who missed 11 games between them)
Gilbo
Koby
Mav (?)

While we'll have added:

Hannebery
Kent
Clark
Coffield
Austin
Pick 4-ish
Pick 15-28ish

And we'll have two more preseasons into the likes of:

Gresh
Paddy
Battle
Long
Steele
Acres
Billings
Sincs
Dunstan
Lonie
Roma

So I don't see any reason why we have to automatically be crap again next year, or why we couldn't get back to midish table.

Especially if we have a significantly easier draw than the ones we had the last two years.

It's like when I looked at North's team on paper at the start of this year. Most were tipping them to come last and be down there for years, but to me it didn't look anything like an 18th team on paper, as I said at the time on the MB, and this year they showed why.

I similarly don't think our team on paper can't be very competitive next year, if we get enough right from a coaching, fitness perspective and so-on.

Of course we could be garbage again, but I see no reason why we "should" be. There's a lot of unfulfilled talent there imo.

Roo and Joey played just 33 games between them in 2017 and neither came top 10 in the B&F. Between them they got just 5 of the 235 votes we received in the coaches votes in the last 10 of those 11 wins. So most of what we lost from them was non-playing related. If we can bridge that gap with Hanners, Ratten, Slater and so-on, we may be able to get back to where we were, if we get our s**t together.

Prior to this season, the progress of the team was promising. I am hoping that 2018 was just an aberration, now with some quality additions on and off the field, hopefully we can get find that trajectory.

I'm looking forward to the development of Sinclair. He seems really well balanced, for some reason he reminds me of Shane Crawford in the way that he moves, hopefully he can be just as good.

my concern is, as Geary gets a year older could he lose a yard as a small defender which is costly and would possibly be better as a run with winger type like what he did on Smith which I thought was one of the best games I'd seen him play in recent times (before he got injured from memory)?
I reckon Geary should play small pressure forward

I reckon Geary should play small pressure forward

He can actually take a good high mark the Gears.
Not sure if he’d kick too many goals but at least He’d put the ball in the vicinity.
I reckon it’s worth a try..

Baz, you’ve been asking all year about how we have no 2 and 3 round picks and how’re we gonna get us some?
Your thoughts on our trading so far?

I am pleased with Dan and Dean, and that we now have 4 and 28, We have done very well. but we need to keep it up, get rid of a few more and gain some more picks, and maybe another player.

The AFL's bastard child is disintegrating before our eyes. The narrow premiership window Vlad the Impaler built and opened up for them is now shutting. They've missed the boat and I believe they will be like the GCS within three years. Watch the AFL bail them out again. It will be a disaster. Move in for the kill, Saints. There are more Steele like bargains to be had, as well as a big name or two.

Watch Scully and Patton go with Shiel, Lobb and Setterfield. Watch Greene, Whitfield, Kelly, Haynes an Finlayson bolt as well. This is our chance. Trade period 2019, we throw our cash and get at least two godfather offers up. This is war. They've had their chance. Like GC, wrong coaches (silly, demented Sheedy and Cameron) and a club built on money and false foundations. Watch the bleeding going on now turn into a potentially fatal haemorrhage.

Just heard a whisper Shiel to Essendon not a done deal and Saints could still be in it... Make of it what you will

Surely not...
But if it is the case I’d offer 28 and next year’s first.
Pick 4 no longer on the table. That’s for King.
You snooze, you lose.

Edit: 4 for King if we should get Shiel, otherwise it’s still debatable for me whether forward or mid.

Last edited:
Billy Slater for the 2019 mid year Rookie signing after doing one pre-season with the Saints. Place kick all his set shots. Make it happen Saints you know it makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare on Twitter suggests we should try and get jono Patton on the cheap then get Rankline or Smith in the draft.
How the * is this still happening...

If that’s true then I think the AFL will intervene. There’s no way in hell they’ll let GWS go the way of the Suns.
*whoooosh*

Anyone reckon we could trade 4 for 6 and 15, then ontrade 15 to GWS for Scully? We’d still get King at 6 most likely (Walsh, Luko, Rankine, Rozee, Smith, King) and we’d also have 28 to grab a potential slider. Also fills our outside run with elite kicking if our Medics can get Skulls ankle back up to shape.

Now what happens if they don’t get the pick they want? What happens if we don’t trade pick 4, and draft one of those three? Do you think they’ll respond with an “darn, we got so close but oh well” and drop everything? Do you think all of the effort and burned picks thus far (in the case of Port) will be tossed aside with a “better luck next time”?
No, of course it won’t. They’ll be in the ear of the SA kid from day one - hell, they will probably even have spoken to them in the interviews and detailed plans to bring them home.
This is already happening. I posted a sound cloud interview with Lukosius at the draft combine the other night. In it you can hear journalists aggressively chasing the sound byte where JL says he wants to play his football in/for Adelaide. It's blatantly obvious they are hoping for a morsel to write the storey that creates doubt in the mind of recruiters. JL deals with it expertly and in a way that suggests he has been coached by his management team. He deflects at least three leading questions and reiterates each time "I am happy to play interstate". Adelaide and Port may be trying to play games, but JL is already above that. Not as sure about Rankine.

If Hawthorn get Scully for a 3rd round pick and Wingard glory be me, that's pretty damn good. They'll be pushing for a flag again next year.
Just read an interesting article on that subject on AFL.com...…..to my surprise,9 Hawks that were listed will be 30 years of age or older by July next year.

The article suggested that next year may be the final year for several of those players.

A final roll of the dice maybe in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back