List Mgmt. - 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4 | Page 171 | BigFooty
  1. New Image Editor now Live

A basic image editor is now available to all users. Improvements are still in the works, but it is usable right now. Just hit "Edit Image" when you upload an image into a post. Try It ...

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Discussion in 'St Kilda' started by George, Oct 8, 2018.

1. BarkerFan

BarkerFan Team Captain

St Kilda
    nope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. St_Laz

St_Laz Team Captain

St Kilda
    Can you please provide these two quotes?

3. Dr Spaceman

Dr Spaceman Premiership Player

St Kilda
    [​IMG]

4. Tommy Wigs

Tommy Wigs Club Legend

St Kilda
    God no & god yes

Longmembrey, clobba and Quixote like this.
  5. FlyingSledghamer

FlyingSledghamer Premiership Player

St Kilda
    I like this side. Except im not sold on Bruce, Skunk or Longer.
    Imagine we get Rankine and you go with our best tall fwd say Bruce or Roma. Then instead of Skunk you have Rankine and throw Lonie on the bench.
    What an opposition headache that would be having Rankine, Gresham, Lonie, Billings, Kent, Long up fwd causing havoc.
    Just completely changes our fwd dynamic. Instead of being tall, slow, predictable. We become fast, creative, pressure, accountable, dangerous.

6. Darkhour

Darkhour Club Legend

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Aussies in the NBA!
    Would and could we convince Scully and trump Essendon and the Hawks by trading 4 and 28 to GWS and throw some $$ for Scully and Shiel?

We'd be more compelling a destination to Scully if we brought in his former teammate also..

7. Strahany

Strahany Premiership Player

St Kilda
    I think everyone should consider, for a moment, just how hard Port Adelaide (and likely Adelaide) are pushing to get one of the picks that will net them Lukosius, Rankine, or (I believe to a lesser extent) Rozee. Those two clubs are apparently throwing everything out there just for this one pick.

Now what happens if they don’t get the pick they want? What happens if we don’t trade pick 4, and draft one of those three? Do you think they’ll respond with an “darn, we got so close but oh well” and drop everything? Do you think all of the effort and burned picks thus far (in the case of Port) will be tossed aside with a “better luck next time”?
    No, of course it won’t. They’ll be in the ear of the SA kid from day one - hell, they will probably even have spoken to them in the interviews and detailed plans to bring them home. They’ll be arranging their salary cap to allow for a big offer, in time for their original 2 year contract to end, eagerly waiting for the opportunity to finally get one of the coveted players.

Does this mean that they’ll definitely be able to pry them free? Of course not. But I don’t think this is a “normal” instance of the ‘go home factor’ when we’ve already seen just a snippet of how far they’re willing to go. I would tread cautiously with picking one of these players, moreso than we have been previously with other interstate kids over the years. Especially when you combine this high level of SA club interest with the current climate of young players regularly demanding trades home after only 2 years.

If this trade period has shown anything, it’s that players aren’t afraid to abandon a lowly club to go home or chase a flag. If King/Smith or whoever else is considered only slightly worse on our draft rankings than whichever SA kid is available, then I would seriously consider avoiding the potential headache associated with that. The last thing our club needs is to draft an elite young kid and have him walk out on us, 2 years into our re-rebuild. How do you think that would go down with the impatient fans?

Of course, we shouldn’t have to worry about something like this, but the fact is that this is the reality of the modern AFL, and needs to be seriously considered just like any other aspect of their game when deciding who to draft.

Saint Watto, Human Person and Rors like this.
  8. Fryman

Fryman Club Legend

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Red Sox
    Your talents are wasted here mate. They should get you running the Saints Twitter account. Whoever does it now is ordinary.

9. jwikked

jwikked Club Legend

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Philly Flyers
    Some of his efforts are borderline insane, I don't understand how a human can think of these things.
    Love it!

10. Premium

Premium Premiership Player

St Kilda

I know its old footage , but he was bloody good

11. VDS66

VDS66 Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Some weird shit happening this year.

Firstly, until it's confirmed, don't take rumours or 'talk' as a trade being done.

Just look at Lobb and Hogan.

Just because a player nominates a club, doesn't meant it will get done, granted it usually does.

But until the paperwork is lodged, it ain't done.

Scully for 58 sounds suss. Anything cn happen.

Don't know anything and not getting hopes up, but I reckon there might be a few twists in the tale yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Premium

Premium Premiership Player

St Kilda
    Yes , he is one of the guys who make this Saints board enjoyable

13. austinnn

austinnn Veteran GOP

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool FC, Bristol City FC
    I think I agree. it's like whoever drafts a player has two years to convince the player to love the club enough to stay.

I'd love Rankine or the big Luc but I think they are a luxury right now we can't truly afford if we had the option to turn one pick into 2 top 15 picks, one inside top 6. Even if Victorian hero Walsh fell to 4th pick, I think I'd entertain it. I get what Gringo and others are saying though, we've got a chance to snag a legitimate game-changing, once in a lifetime star, why would we dilute the pick and just go for a blue chip star? One thing is for sure, the offer would have to be absolutely unfairly weighted our way, if it's just win win, forget it. It would have to make the other club dealing with us make some of their fans burn their membership cards and crash the BigFooty server with delicious salty melts.

So I reckon hold the pick until draft night. If no offers are forthcoming, we still end up with a great pick to snag a genuine star.

14. Ekomaira

Ekomaira Premiership Player

St Kilda
    this isn't even the bias talking, but seriously if I was a good player I would 100% go to the Saints. one goes, another one sees this so he goes, all of a sudden it's a team of guns and you deliver the 2nd premiership in like 150 years or whatever. you'll go down in history. or you could go to say Essendon and be a nothing player forever. I know exactly what I'd want

maanco, Saint Watto, Grav and 5 others like this.
  15. Tommy Wigs

Tommy Wigs Club Legend

St Kilda
    You’re not sold on Skunk??

FQFjt, Southseas, PoppedCorn and 5 others like this.
  16. VDS66

VDS66 Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    He's also a great plastic surgeon. I have used him in the past.

I still get people stopping me in the street and saying g'day Banger. When are you coming back to coach the Saints.

17. bird_man

bird_man Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Sainttony and The_Steadier like this.
  18. Rors

Rors Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    I hate other teams!
    Yeah. 44, 38, 34 goals in the last 3 years shows significant downward regression.

Trade :drunk::huh:o_O

19. malevu

malevu Team Captain

St Kilda
    Nice try, but I think your first six words give the game up.

Saint Watto, The_Steadier and kernelT like this.
  20. austinnn

austinnn Veteran GOP

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool FC, Bristol City FC
    That's exactly what Gehrig, Hammil, etc thought. Nearly worked too. They still went down in history but not like they would have wanted. No guarantees, eh.

gringo2011 likes this.
  21. Sadsainter

Sadsainter Team Captain

St Kilda
    Cousin is called sweaty

Keg on legs likes this.
  22. Sunnyjim

Sunnyjim Team Captain

St Kilda
    Wh
    en it means a top line one I assume it is referring to the club that is top line not the player. I’ve heard and seen few rumours minchington to hawks, Goddard to blues or Lonie to pies could be one of these

Grav and mightymalaka like this.
  23. Verdun66

Verdun66 Club Legend

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    North Sydney Bears Rugby League
    Just glad we got our 'meat and potatoes' trades out of the way early. What I mean by that is the trades that have been signalled and obvious. Last few years we have been getting those done last minute. Usually because we were down the order of importance for other clubs to sort out. Left no time or room to do anything else.

Maybe that's it. But there is time to be there and ready if something pops out of the woodwork. Must say I am happy with what's happened. Played our limited hand well. Possibly more to come, but Pick 4 sitting there nice and pretty.

Saint Watto, Grav, clobba and 2 others like this.
  24. mightymalaka

mightymalaka What we have here is a failure to communicate!

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Manchester United
    Can just see Minchington going to the poos and wees
    Never missing a game, averaging 2-3 a week and
    Knowing those pricks, probably playing in back to back flags!

25. Drake Huggins

Drake Huggins All Australian

St Kilda
    Spo
    I was around between 1997 and 2010, on a part time consultancy basis. I had a pretty good view of what went on in the recruiting area. The main difference, and what I still think afflicts us in this area is the lack of resources we have and can put into this area. When I started, it was JB pretty much on his own, with some contacts and networks to assist. The budget for recruiting during this time was around 70K per annum. No, I'm not joking. JB sometimes had to take players sight unseen. John Peake came on board in 2006, but there wasn't much extra help and JB started to cut back.

At least we have half a dozen or so in the team now and stronger networks, but we are still way behind the power clubs, like the dorks, WC, Geelong, Swans, Adelaide, tiggers et al. Melbourne provides us with hope. They have turned from a recruiting joke into a formidable group. The development angle is a key. Picking overlooked gems and developing them into top liners is what the previously mentioned clubs have become expert at.