List Mgmt. 2018 Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have any spare cash for a free agent, it’s rapidly getting soaked up by TMac you would think.

We really need to sign him.
TMac and Gaff are about the same age. They’d each be looking for one more big pay packet of about 4 years. The one positive of having basically no other star players drafted prior to 2012 is that no one is that close to free agency/other clubs offering them godfather contracts at their peak. Jones, Jetta, Lewis, and Vince would be on their last big contracts. Doubt Hibberd and Garlett are going anywhere.

Saw an article on FoxFooty confirming that we are going after Adelaide Tom Lynch. Would be a good get but because we already have a ton of half forwards i'd rather see us chase gaff as I doubt it would be possible to land both.

Tom Lynch would be a waste. Very very good player, but pushing 28 and Hogan plays the link man role just as well now.

We should use our money elsewhere or internally if we have it.

Only reason I see us taking Lynch is an upgrade on Smith/Pedo but I wouldn't want us paying 600k for him

our best bet this year (and possibly next) is free agency

gaff would be my choosing of who to target over someone like sloane, dahlhaus, mcgovern, or nick smith but the latter has the advantage of being unrestricted; gaff is the one i want

next year both shiel and coniglio are restricted free agents; would happily have either and can't see gw$ being able to hold onto both

we have to go to the draft in the first round next year imo
I think WC would match any offer made to Gaff, since we likely have more cap space than Melbourne. So it would probably force a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think WC would match any offer made to Gaff, since we likely have more cap space than Melbourne. So it would probably force a trade.

I don't know if you're familiar with standard BigFooty protocol, but I would like to broach the possibility of the "Gun = spud + spud + spud" trade. I can see Gaff coming here for JKH, AVB and someone else... Pat McKenna maybe, and we can look into hyphenating his name to give him a trendy acronym. Ordinarily people scoff at the idea of brokering deals on a forum, but we can plant the seed, and with a bit of care and effort, steadily get the clubs on board as well. Shall I have my people contact your people?

Don't see him leaving tbh. Eagles are flying again and you've never had issues retaining victorian players.
I hope he doesn't leave. Tough losing your best mid.

We can probably offer him a better deal than most sides, it's just does he want to move back to Melbourne and play for a club contending. Reckon NM will come hard with a trade offer and big contract at seasons end, but Melbourne is who he supported growing up. Sometimes though it's better to stay. I look at top notch players who have left via free agency/trade and missed out on success.

If he is certain to go though, WC will stump up the cash and I'm guessing the return they expected would be high.

We have nothing to trade for Gaff. We’re not going to trade any of our best 22 players unless they desperately want out, and I don’t think the rules will permit us to lose more first round draft picks. If WCE match our offer, we’re out. He’s not worth that much to us anyway, improvement would be incremental. Not worth selling the farm to get in a player who wouldn’t be our best midfielder when we have plenty of blokes who should be rewarded internally

- Langford isn’t an outside runner, he is an inside mid
- Essendon won’t trade him now he is finally playing well
Can play as either, really. He’s out of contract and if he doesn’t keep getting opportunities I can see him wanting to leave to a club where he can win more uncontested ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back