Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 2! (cont. in Part 3 - link in OP)

What are we going to do??

• 4 picks 21 and under? Back in Hamish!

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Trade up! We’re getting Lukosius / Rankine / Rozee!!!

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way was it useless to us.
1. If we bundle picks to move up we would definately have to use it in the draft.
2. Pick 40 would have huge value in any deals we want to do draft night (or this afternoon).
3. We traded a future 4th to get pick 67 yesterday, how can 40 be useless?
As it currently stands we have 4 spots available on our list, IF we delist cheney and signorello. If we keep those guys, then we only have 2 or 3 picks. Pick 40 was our 5th pick, so there is zero chance we would've used it.
If we give a contract to one of those guys, we will 100% be moving up the draft order at some stage by bundling 2 or more of the 4 picks we have in the top 21

The difference is port forced polec and wingard out the door.. we wouldve kept both gov and lever but they didnt want to stay with us... so we extracted all we could for them..

We practically forced Lever out of the door as well. After all we always had the option to keep him but baulked at his demands.

Oh please never mistake my colourful writing as being emotional. I think they've been clever in biting the bullet and ending the disharmony, and throwing out some trash in the process. What they receive is also pretty good. I hate Port as much as anyone, but this talk of them doing it all wrong again is rubbish.

I think most accept they've played the hand they were dealt reasonably well.

Unfortunately (for them) the handy they were dealt was appalling and that they're now materially worse off.

Surely the opportunity is in 2 years when these SA lads are out of contract
Agree but would rather draft them in the first place. Sick of gun Victorians leaving us. I feel our recruitment staff haven't put a premium on local talent as much as they should have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Gold Coast's hand is 2, 3, 19, 24, 29, and most likely pick 6 for May

There losing players left right and centre they should 100% do 2 and 3 for 8, 13, 16, 21 and a future pick.

This would leave GC with a hand of 6, 8, 13, 16, 19, 21, 24, 29

That would means they have 8 players in the top 30. Perfect for them rebuilding
Not really. They don't have 8 vacancies on their list to fill. They will have to trade some of those picks, probably for future picks.

If thats the case.. then were ****in stupid imo..

We have a good chance next year to push top 4 again with a squad that, if it can stay uninjured, that is packed with the talent to do it and a soft draw in our favour. We could easily see us bounce back..

Out of luko, Rankine, Rozee, Smith, Hately i only see one player that can really come in and have an immediate impact for us... one player that will play from round 1 next year and have an influence on our game and only one player that fills a void we have. The xfactor we need and thats Izak Rankine.

The others will be unbelievable players, and will probably turn out being just as valuable as rankine some maybe even more valuable, but we have immediate needs if we are going to use sloane, gibbs, talia, tex, JJ, Lynch and Betts in one final push for a shot at first prize.

We need that xfactor that can swing a game and change the moment of the game in our favour.. its what weve been missing. Were a team of top class, solid players but we havent got that one “robbie grey”, “rioli”, “mcloud” type.
Rozee is more likely to play R1 in my mind but reality is if we are relying on an 18th kid to make the biggest difference then we aren't making the 4

Last edited:
Agree but would rather draft them in the first place. Sick of gun Victorians leaving us. I feel our recruitment staff haven't put a premium on local talent as much as they should have.
Not over just yet, I reckon we will have a crack on Draft night.

That said, far more gun Victorians stay with us than they do leave us. I'm a bit disappointed we dont seem to be doing anything today but very happy with the cards weve got should we want to try something

So Gold Coast's hand is 2, 3, 19, 24, 29, and most likely pick 6 for May

There losing players left right and centre they should 100% do 2 and 3 for 8, 13, 16, 21 and a future pick.

This would leave GC with a hand of 6, 8, 13, 16, 19, 21, 24, 29

That would means they have 8 players in the top 30. Perfect for them rebuilding
And they could get Bayley Smith and Hately with their first 2 picks who would be a couple of ready to go premium mids with really high characters. Much better long term options than King brothers or Rankine IMO for a club that really needs to find a group of young men to buy into the long term future.

Interesting that GC effectively weakened their 2018 draft hand with the Brisbane trade. Maybe 19 isn't that important too them because they have a deal on the cards elsewhere... Like 3 for 8 and 16

And to think, had they not gone for the pick upgrading path, they could currently be sitting on picks:
#10, #11, #15, #23, #30, #35, #48, #49 + Lycett, Burton
vs
#5, #10, #15 + Lycett, Burton

So they've effectively traded #23, #30, #35, #48, #49 for #5 - pretty reasonable if they stop there, I guess.

Ed. Oops - plus #11 for #5 ... less shiny

I must say Port has done well. Add Sam Mayes to it. Yes they lost 2 top players but they are refreshing their list. 5,1 and 15 will get some good young talent in.

I must say Port has done well. Add Sam Mayes to it. Yes they lost 2 top players but they are refreshing their list. 5,1 and 15 will get some good young talent in.
Mayes is depth, but Burton is a good get.

What is their list situation?
Refer to this post:
Suns loose Lynch, KK, Hall, Barlow, Rosa, Rischitelli, Scrimshaw so far from main list and probably May leaving them with 30 players
they have added Ellis, Miles, GHS, Collins, Burgess, Corbett puts them up to 36

I may have missed someone but that looks like 8 players out and 6 in. They only have 4 list spots left if they go to 40 + 4 rookies

What are they going to do with 2 3 5 19 24 29

They either need to either consolidate picks or trade out picks this year for next year or there's more leaving.

No need to panic, there's so many options, something is on the cards and Hamish doesn't have to sell the farm.
If we arent trading in a player I hope we take 5 picks to this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back