2019 AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

Don doesn't want a special dinner. He wants it awarded at a past players function.

I thought Jeff was a bit disingenuous with the way he brought it up - consistently leaving out any mention that it was the forum Don has a problem with, not the award. Jeff only said Don wouldn't accept the award, and hope he changed his mind. Nothing about the venue.

It was only when Russell Greene addressed it that the issue of the forum was raised. Unfortunately Greene, although he spoke confidently, didn't word his argument sufficiently well and Jeff took the opportunity to lay it on about how the AGM is the perfect forum for the award. However not one of the existing 8 Legends were presented their award at an AGM.

Don doesn't want a special dinner. He wants it awarded at a past players function.

I thought Jeff was a bit disingenuous with the way he brought it up - consistently leaving out any mention that it was the forum Don has a problem with, not the award. Jeff only said Don wouldn't accept the award, and hope he changed his mind. Nothing about the venue.

It was only when Russell Greene addressed it that the issue of the forum was raised. Unfortunately Greene, although he spoke confidently, didn't word his argument sufficiently well and Jeff took the opportunity to lay it on about how the AGM is the perfect forum for the award. However not one of the existing 8 Legends were presented their award at an AGM.

They were all presented their awards at public functions though, that's the point.

Don wants it at a past players function because he doesn't give a s**t about Hawthorn as a club or what it might mean to the members and supporters, and in particular thrives on making it difficult for Kennett whom he has schoolyard-esque drama with.

he doesn't give a s**t about Hawthorn as a club
Not sure if you were around in 96 but that's clearly not true, is it. Sure Don's a different kind of bloke, but if he wasn't that way we wouldn't have a club at all.

They were all presented their awards at public functions though, that's the point.
If you define a public event as $150 a head.

Just give the Legend what he wants, then it's done. Otherwise it'll end up being done posthumously, and that'll just be sad.

Don wants it at a past players function because he doesn't give a s**t about Hawthorn as a club or what it might mean to the members and supporters, and in particular thrives on making it difficult for Kennett whom he has schoolyard-esque drama with.

Perhaps, but I also understand Scott's POV.

Refer Fox article - confirming my suspicion that a Legend presentation (for previous recipients) has never been presented at a Hawks AGM before...

Agree with a previous poster that all such awards should be presented at Peter Crimmins medal night, at the very least it would provide all members/supporters an opportunity to be involved via the TV broadcast.

Last edited:
That's simply not true.

Of the information I can find, Kennedy Sr and Lethal were named as legends in the unveiling of the Hall of Fame. Graham Arthur was named on a Hall of Fame night. Hudson, Parkin and Tuck were announced as a legends on Season Launch and Guernsey Presentation nights. Jason Dunstall was elevated to legend status on a 25th anniversary of the 88/89 flags. Peter Knights was during the mid-season ball.

They weren't all given a club dinner, they were fit in where suitable. Don Scott is being a diva. No other legend has been presented with the honour at a life member's lunch that completely excludes the supporters from being able to be there to celebrate.

We should all be grateful for what he did in the past, but that only lasts so long. There's no reason for the club to go so far out of its own way simply to appease an old man that doesn't want anything to do with it anymore.
This! Fully agree. Does not help carrying on like that.

Not sure if you were around in 96 but that's clearly not true, is it. Sure Don's a different kind of bloke, but if he wasn't that way we wouldn't have a club at all.

If you define a public event as $150 a head.

Just give the Legend what he wants, then it's done. Otherwise it'll end up being done posthumously, and that'll just be sad.

I define it as an event that the public and members are able to attend, which the past players function will not be.

I literally made a long ass post on the previous page about the history of it all, so I get it. As of 2008 though he's on record as saying that he didn't care that Hawthorn won a Grand Final and that he does not support the team anymore. That's a matter of public record. He wanted it at the past players function because that's all he considers himself now, a past player of Hawthorn but not a Hawthorn person.

Perhaps, but I also understand Scott's POV.

Refer Fox article - confirming my suspicion that a Legend presentation (for previous recipients) has never been presented at a Hawks AGM before...

It's true that they've never done it at an AGM before, but they've never done it at a Past Players/Life Members meeting either so the point is moot.

I'm surprised Don didn't request his presentation to be held at the Dromana Football Club....
Hawthorn is just another commercial entity to him now. Long gone are the days of meat raffles at the Linda Cresent Social Club.

Perhaps, I've met Don a few times and sure he can be obnoxious and socially awkward, but FFS he saved our footy club, so his peculiar personality traits are something the club should be able to manage while providing his one night of recognition.

The problem for the club is, supporting your point, I really don't think he give a rats rectum about whether or not he receives the award...

I'm almost positive Kennett supported the merger, while Don obviously did everything he could to make sure it didn't go through. Kennett should have been the better person and acceded to Don's wishes, but there was little chance of that happening.

Congratulations to Greg "Bocca" Boxall for being awarded life membership. Been involved in Hawthorn's recruiting since 1988. Gun full forward in his day and a handy cricketer. Instrumental in getting Buddy to Hawthorn.

I'm almost positive Kennett supported the merger, while Don obviously did everything he could to make sure it didn't go through. Kennett should have been the better person and acceded to Don's wishes, but there was little chance of that happening.
Do you think the decision was Jeff’s alone ?

Or do you think the board would’ve made the decision ?

I think the latter, but it’s easy to blame Kennett

Just to put a bow on what I've said in this thread, I couldn't care less if Don Scott was recognised as a legend of the club in his lifetime. He's a petulant old man, Kevin Bartlett with 10x the obstinance.

I'm glad to club didn't concede to him and his jilted ex lover attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Greg "Bocca" Boxall for being awarded life membership. Been involved in Hawthorn's recruiting since 1988. Gun full forward in his day and a handy cricketer. Instrumental in getting Buddy to Hawthorn.

He was rather entertaining in his acceptance speech when receiving life membership also, I enjoyed it.

I don't care for Jeff the majority of the time either, at least we don't hear from Don that often.

The issue here is that if you excluded Jeff from the situation, Don would still be asking for concessions in order to receive the recognition that weren't given to any other legend of the club.

I've already broken my promise about tying a bow on it :(

we owe Don Scott everything as he was the man who was a HUGE reason we got a chance to save our club as most of the board, coaches ect at the time wanted us to merge and were active in trying to kill our club by merging it with Melbourne.

now in saying that Don Scott is hard to get along with, he was the perfect person to save our club, but is too chaotic to be a part of the board or lead the club going forward, him not attending his own legends event is not out of character, i dont blame anyone, its just who Don Scott is, he does things his own way and in some circumstances that is great and in others its a little disappointing.

I knew Kennett as a Melbourne supporter before he became a lifelong Hawthorn one.

Remember Jeff saying he would happily accept the Melbourne presidency before returning to the Hawthorn one!

Quite frankly,I doubt Don Scott would accept his much deserved award while Jeff is still in the seat.

Carna HAWTHORN Hawks!

Ironically Don ran his jeans shop where the old Six Ways soda shop stood.
That "larger" corner of Camberwell was full of Melbourne and Hawthorn supporters from Scotch College.

I knew Kennett as a Melbourne supporter before he became a lifelong Hawthorn one.

Remember Jeff saying he would happily accept the Melbourne presidency before returning to the Hawthorn one!

Quite frankly,I doubt Don Scott would accept his much deserved award while Jeff is still in the seat.

Carna HAWTHORN Hawks!

Ironically Don ran his jeans shop where the old Six Ways soda shop stood.
That "larger" corner of Camberwell was full of Melbourne and Hawthorn supporters from Scotch College.
I used to get my jeans from there too

Meh. Used to live in Amcos purchased several doors from Dobson's before they moved.Think that annoyed Ian :)

My post should have read Six Ways Milk Bar.Used to have a big soda water there on a hot day.

The good milk shakes were at Candy Land near the Broadway movie theater. Loved their jukebox.5 plays for 2 bob.Plenty of JO'K.

Don is forever one of the most important people of our club but the way he shuns everyone bar his preferred inside clique is ridiculous.. He chose to lead the club, he chose to be the face of the movement to reject the merger and he chose to sit on the board, he has made these decisions to serve the club and its stakeholders so it’s bemusing why he won’t accept the invitation to be celebrated with all that love him.

As far as I’m concerned Jeff has every right to enforce the decision to award legend status at the AGM. Don is petulant and Jeff hard nosed and matter of fact, they aren’t a good match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back