• F - terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong have shown that you need at least 5 elite players to win multiple premierships. I have a feeling Jones, Milera, Fog and McAsey will be elite. We are probably in a better place than I first thought. However, we need more genuine midfielders and a class small forward in the 2020 trade/draft.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong have shown that you need at least 5 elite players to win multiple premierships. I have a feeling Jones, Milera, Fog and McAsey will be elite. We are probably in a better place than I first thought. However, we need more genuine midfielders and a class small forward in the 2020 trade/draft.
11 "A" Graders was a number I heard Champion Data quote

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Landed the player we wanted at the very pointy end.

fm.jpg

Got a couple of the boys Hamish liked the trajectory of further down the list.

Used the Rookie draft to try some new players / get some back up.

Left some space for the train-with option.

Set up next year's draft with an amazing hand. (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...updated-following-day-2-of-the-draft.1229399/)

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I would be very interested, from an Crows recruitment interview perspective, if you spoke to 50 Victorian kids who thought they were in the potential 40-rookie draft area about their feelings about moving to Adelaide as a rookie pre-draft, how many would have shown a bit of reluctance.

Now with one SSP spot left open, if you invited any of those undrafted kids to come train in Adelaide for the last rookie spot against Mathews, wonder how many would change their attitude after missing out on their dream.

Also Crows SANFL top up squad had 2, potentially 3 AFL draftees (with Mathews) so even a Crows SANFL top up squad position could look good for kick-starting an AFL career. Will be very interested to see who is invited to train with the squad over summer, and who ends up in the Crows SANFL development squad.

Any kids left around the country with that express pace and line-breaking ability that we want to see?
Northern Knights Lachlan Potter with his dazzling speed and take the game on attitude would have a bloody good highlight reel I'd think if you pick out the good bits but when he runs himself into trouble it doesn't look so good. Kicking is pretty average and his decision making is questionable but he's the most exciting player in the NAB League to watch.

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Northern Knights Lachlan Potter with his dazzling speed and take the game on attitude would have a bloody good highlight reel I'd think if you pick out the good bits but when he runs himself into trouble it doesn't look so good. Kicking is pretty average and his decision making is questionable but he's the most exciting player in the NAB League to watch.

What do you think about Harrison Magor?

Harrison Magor

Height 183cm
Weight 83kg
Current Team North Adelaide, South Australia
Birthday May 9, 2001

THE inside ball winner from North Adelaide was a ray of consistency in the Under 18s this season, amassing more than 28 disposals, seven clearances and eight tackles per game to be a valid inside midfield option in the AFL Draft. He is just a natural ball-winning midfielder with a taste for contested work. His inside game is very strong, however his outside game and skills could further improve. Once he is able to use the ball a little better and apply greater scoreboard impact, Magor could be a two-way impact player. Similar to Tom Lewis last year, the South Australian did not do too much wrong in terms of his natural game, it is just adding extra strings to his bow. In 11 games for the Roosters, Magor won almost half of his possessions in the contest, and averaged a massive 116 AFL Fantasy points for those interested in potentially grabbing a late bargain if he can make it onto an AFL list. In his two games at Reserves level, Magor averaged 11.5 disposals and 2.0 clearances.

STRENGTHS: Athleticism, clearances, accumulation, tackling, contested work
IMPROVEMENTS: Outside game, skills

Tested pretty well at the state combine too, got any weapons that would translate at AFL level in future?

Sprint
Harrison Magor North 2.84 seconds
Agility
Harrison Magor North 8.13 seconds
Yoyo
Harrison Magor North 20.8
Running Vert Jump
Harrison Magor North 80cm

Or will Crows stay away because of links to North Adelaide and we don't seem to like to poach from SANFL teams for rookie spots?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What do you think about Harrison Magor?

Harrison Magor

Height 183cm
Weight 83kg
Current Team North Adelaide, South Australia
Birthday May 9, 2001

THE inside ball winner from North Adelaide was a ray of consistency in the Under 18s this season, amassing more than 28 disposals, seven clearances and eight tackles per game to be a valid inside midfield option in the AFL Draft. He is just a natural ball-winning midfielder with a taste for contested work. His inside game is very strong, however his outside game and skills could further improve. Once he is able to use the ball a little better and apply greater scoreboard impact, Magor could be a two-way impact player. Similar to Tom Lewis last year, the South Australian did not do too much wrong in terms of his natural game, it is just adding extra strings to his bow. In 11 games for the Roosters, Magor won almost half of his possessions in the contest, and averaged a massive 116 AFL Fantasy points for those interested in potentially grabbing a late bargain if he can make it onto an AFL list. In his two games at Reserves level, Magor averaged 11.5 disposals and 2.0 clearances.

STRENGTHS: Athleticism, clearances, accumulation, tackling, contested work
IMPROVEMENTS: Outside game, skills

Tested pretty well at the state combine too, got any weapons that would translate at AFL level in future?

Sprint
Harrison Magor North 2.84 seconds
Agility

Harrison Magor North 8.13 seconds
Yoyo

Harrison Magor North 20.8
Running Vert Jump

Harrison Magor North 80cm
Or will Crows stay away because of links to North Adelaide and we don't seem to like to poach from SANFL teams for rookie spots?
I doubt it, if they wanted another SA lad there were guys like Josh Shute and Callum Park that they'd have looked at as well I think. I suspect it will be another mature ager with every indication pointing to it likely being James Matthews from our development squad?

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

If Crows were to pick up a player like this, where would his ideal position be in the AFL? Plays off half back usually? Can he play closer to goal in the Charlie Cameron or Jaidyn Stephenson role where given a bit of space the extreme pace allows them to create run in goals?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If Crows were to pick up a player like this, where would his ideal position be in the AFL? Plays off half back usually? Can he play closer to goal in the Charlie Cameron or Jaidyn Stephenson role where given a bit of space the extreme pace allows them to create run in goals?
I wouldn't draft him but he's about the quickest on a football field in the NAB League. Don't think he's our kind of player, takes too many risks and wen he *s up he *s up royally but jesus he's bloody good to watch in full flight.

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looking from a Crows perspective GC have it too easy. Not hard to be frivolous with first round picks when they are gifted so easily. I hope the AFL ask them WTF were they up to throwing a 1st round selection at Geelong to gain a second round pick.
Agree

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Okay, the first big "what really happened" article

interesting parts:

"The Giants had done so much work to get ahead of the bid for Green. They had packaged up picks 12 and 18 during the Telstra AFL Trade Period to gain pick six, and then sent pick six and a future first-round pick to Adelaide to move up to pick four."

12 + 18 + Future 1stR = Pick 4, Tom Green. Wow, worth three 1Rs... when you've got that many, i guess you can give some away

"For the Blues, the trade was so they could move up the order and snap up Young, who they rated at No.2 in this year's pool."

Never change SOS, never change

"Fremantle interviewed McAsey in the days leading up to the draft, leading some to believe he was well in their mix for their back-to-back picks. Discussion grew as well that if McAsey was on the board at No.8, the Dockers would look to trade the pick to Geelong, who were interested in packaging their first-round picks together to target McAsey in the top-10."

Basically we had to take him where we did

"Adelaide's intel suggested Freo was unlikely to take him, but there was enough risk about the potential of Geelong moving up that the Crows asked for a future first-round pick from the Blues, as well as pick No.9, for the deal to happen. The Blues would only offer a future-second round pick. The prospective deal died. The potential for the Dockers to also swap their pick No.8 for the Crows' No.6, as a contingency if a bid came early on Academy prospect Liam Henry, had previously been canvassed. "

Sucked in Blues

"After the mid-year national carnival, recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie and backman Andy Otten had taken McAsey, fresh off winning Vic Metro's MVP award, out to a Greek restaurant in Brighton, picking his brain and getting his head around a possible move to South Australia."

Had him lined up for ages!

"They had seven players on their board and were hoping one of them would get through to their selection, but by the time they were on the clock, all (plus McAsey, who they rated later due to list needs) were taken. Brodie Kemp was next on their list, while Flanders, who was still available, was behind them.

This is when they picked up the phone. They called Port Adelaide and Geelong, seeing what deals could be done. They offered the Cats pick No.9 and 43 for 14 and 17, but were shut down."

LOL. SOS, master strategist

"While discussing the deals, the Blues had placed back-to-back bids on Academy players Henry (Fremantle) and Green (GWS), pushing the rest of the first-round picks back two spots. Carlton liked both players, and were particularly excited about what Henry could have added to their forward mix, but both bids were matched. However, bidding bought the Blues 10 minutes of time to construct their next move."

As many of us suspected

"GEELONG now had a decision to make. Clubs were still coming for its pick 16 – Adelaide had offered its two early second-round picks as a swap for that choice and the Cats' fourth pick – while Collingwood and Hawthorn continued to make calls to clubs in the vicinity asking to swap future first-rounders for current ones."

Interesting, glad we stuck with what we have

"They didn't let their second chance go missing. Brisbane offered a future second-round pick to take Port's pick, and even though Port wasn't going to select Robertson there, the Lions had to make sure their offer beat others', including Adelaide, who were trying to inch up the board."

So we were trying to get Robertson!

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Okay, the first big "what really happened" article

interesting parts:

"The Giants had done so much work to get ahead of the bid for Green. They had packaged up picks 12 and 18 during the Telstra AFL Trade Period to gain pick six, and then sent pick six and a future first-round pick to Adelaide to move up to pick four."

12 + 18 + Future 1stR = Pick 4, Tom Green. Wow, worth three 1Rs... when you've got that many, i guess you can give some away

"For the Blues, the trade was so they could move up the order and snap up Young, who they rated at No.2 in this year's pool."

Never change SOS, never change

"Fremantle interviewed McAsey in the days leading up to the draft, leading some to believe he was well in their mix for their back-to-back picks. Discussion grew as well that if McAsey was on the board at No.8, the Dockers would look to trade the pick to Geelong, who were interested in packaging their first-round picks together to target McAsey in the top-10."

Basically we had to take him where we did

"Adelaide's intel suggested Freo was unlikely to take him, but there was enough risk about the potential of Geelong moving up that the Crows asked for a future first-round pick from the Blues, as well as pick No.9, for the deal to happen. The Blues would only offer a future-second round pick. The prospective deal died. The potential for the Dockers to also swap their pick No.8 for the Crows' No.6, as a contingency if a bid came early on Academy prospect Liam Henry, had previously been canvassed. "

Sucked in Blues

"After the mid-year national carnival, recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie and backman Andy Otten had taken McAsey, fresh off winning Vic Metro's MVP award, out to a Greek restaurant in Brighton, picking his brain and getting his head around a possible move to South Australia."

Had him lined up for ages!

"They had seven players on their board and were hoping one of them would get through to their selection, but by the time they were on the clock, all (plus McAsey, who they rated later due to list needs) were taken. Brodie Kemp was next on their list, while Flanders, who was still available, was behind them.

This is when they picked up the phone. They called Port Adelaide and Geelong, seeing what deals could be done. They offered the Cats pick No.9 and 43 for 14 and 17, but were shut down."

LOL. SOS, master strategist

"While discussing the deals, the Blues had placed back-to-back bids on Academy players Henry (Fremantle) and Green (GWS), pushing the rest of the first-round picks back two spots. Carlton liked both players, and were particularly excited about what Henry could have added to their forward mix, but both bids were matched. However, bidding bought the Blues 10 minutes of time to construct their next move."

As many of us suspected

"GEELONG now had a decision to make. Clubs were still coming for its pick 16 – Adelaide had offered its two early second-round picks as a swap for that choice and the Cats' fourth pick – while Collingwood and Hawthorn continued to make calls to clubs in the vicinity asking to swap future first-rounders for current ones."

Interesting, glad we stuck with what we have

"They didn't let their second chance go missing. Brisbane offered a future second-round pick to take Port's pick, and even though Port wasn't going to select Robertson there, the Lions had to make sure their offer beat others', including Adelaide, who were trying to inch up the board."

So we were trying to get Robertson!
Would love to know who we would have taken at 16 had that offer of a deal with Geelong come off..wondering if we had kemp or maybe Georgiades on our radar?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Port tried something similar a couple of years back, we laughed at them, most didn’t get a game and were delisted.

It’s short sighted and who cares if our depth is tested next year, we aren’t going anywhere but if we’ve missed out on some youth that can have a long term career, that’s more costly than finishing 12th instead of 10th.
Not quite. The blokes Port took were all north of 26yo (MacKenzie, Trengove,Thomas) and past theirbest. At keast our 2 have potential to improve

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Perhaps with the lack of speed we are going to target an elite mid with the now redundant Grundy $$$

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Comments from Talent Manager Mark Wheeler

FISCHER McASEY (AFL Draft pick no.6 to Adelaide): “Fischer was just professional and always looking to improve himself. He trained and played with the same intensity. I thought he was always a first-round pick but probably not as high as no.6. He had a great year, though.

“I think Adelaide have taken him as a lock-down or roll-off key defender, but they know they have a weapon they can throw forward to kick goals if needed. Eventually they might also turn him into a big body that can get around the ball.”

JOSH WORRELL (no.28 to Adelaide): “I really liked Josh because he didn’t consume footy all the time. When he played footy he had white-line fever, but when he finished footy he had another life.

“He’s a 195cm defender, but I think he’ll play on the outside as a winger at the elite level first. I told a lot of AFL clubs that I could see him within three to four years playing as a big-bodied inside midfielder, because he covers the ground really well, he has aggression and he hates to be beaten.”

CALDER CANNONS

Comments from Talent Manager Tom Lonergan

LACHLAN GOLLANT (no.48 to Adelaide): “Similar to Francis Evans, Lachie didn’t do the pre-season with us, but I heard a few murmurs throughout the year that he was performing really well at school level. He came into the program and started playing really consistently in the back half of the season.

“I’m certain Adelaide saw something there and pounced on him. He’s so raw and has a lot of improvement to do in his body, but he has some natural attributes that are unmatched – like his leap, and he’s a good runner who can play in multiple positions.”

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Would we have taken Schoenberg where we did if he wasn't South Australian?
Only other really inside/outside mid left that can consistently win their own ball other than Harry was Jay Rantall, most of the others were utilities or very outside, so I think he was an obvious choice because if we'd bid on Jackson Mead Port would have duly matched.

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty safe to say yes to that one, we stopped caring about state a long time ago.

Don't know how much to trust Twomey's intel here but he seems to think we were trying to trade what ended up being 24 & 25 for Geelong's pick 16 and what ended up being pick 50. Who were we keen on at 16? Seemingly only Kemp, Deven Robertson, and possibly Cooper Stephens were attractive for that price (as we traded down further to get Worrell). Also half the teams tried to move up to get Robertson when he was available at 22. So seems like if one or 2 of those were gettable then we would not have taken Schoenberg. Would also not have got Worrell.

Could have maybe been something like McAsey, Kemp/Robertson/Stephens, O'Connor, Cam Taheny (another marking forward type instead of Worrell), Gollant if we have swapped with Geelong.

Pretty pleased with how it worked out overall, as although we overpaid for McAsey, Worrell was great value and could turn out to be anything. In future to have McAsey who can go both back or forward and take marks (similar to J. McGovern?) and to have Worrell (similar to Bont?) who can play back, forward, wing or inside mid would give the Crows amazing versatility.

In an ideal world would have loved to have got the Carlton future 2nd rounder in, still got McAsey in and traded the O'Connor pick up using a future 2nd or 3rd (and taken Rivers or Rantall) taking O'Connor with the last to leave with McAsey, Schoenberg, Worrell, Rivers/Rantall and O'Connor, but we'll see what Gollant looks like after 12 months in the gym and a bit more growth.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267097/...t-round-twists-turns-bluffs-and-the-big-calls

Back