2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think the AFL article is accurate. DES a CatB rookie according to Draft Guru
Draftguru doesn't have access to the lists lodged with the AFL, whereas the AFL site would.

As mentioned repeatedly if we had an opening for another rookie we would have been listed in the rookie draft to allow us to the pass on the pick like we did at the end of the 2018 rookie draft when we left spots open for Weller and Stack.

Are “big bodied mids” the most overrated player profile in the game at the moment?
Big bodied mids can be deceptive on the U18 competition. Because of their physical superiority they dominate against those who haven't grown into their bodies yet. These players get found out quickly when they have to play against men.

That is not to say a big bodied mid will be a bad player, but the recruiter will have to determine if they are playing well because of their skill or because they are more physically advanced than the other 17/18 year olds.

On the other side of the coin recruiters will have to also be careful of players who are clearly skillful, but won't end up putting on weight/muscle. And even if they do how will it affect their speed and endurance.

Last edited:
jordan Lewis is 186, although doesn’t change your point.
but I agree with Infamy, players are getting taller in all positions. Doesn’t mean you can’t play, Prestia’s low center of gravity is a blessing, but height and weight do confer certain physical advantages, harder to tackle, greater reach, hands up higher etc..
But a nicely rounded and complimentary midfield, with different types and strengths, works best.
Exhibit A...NOT the Dees! ;)

Everything i have read or heard about CCJ is that he loves it at Richmond and in melbourne and apart from coming from SA there is no reason why he would be looking to go back , There is a reason why GC are looking to add more South australian boys and thats because most dont want to head back.

Would love to know where you get this info from

Sa is boring as *. Lamest state I've ever lived in lol

Can someone tell me what happened to Emma Quayle? I've been reading all the propaganda about Cal T being the draft Messiah, and it just dawned on me that I haven't seen a thing from my old mate EQ, who I always thought was in fact the smartest of the journos at draft time.

Can someone tell me what happened to Emma Quayle? I've been reading all the propaganda about Cal T being the draft Messiah, and it just dawned on me that I haven't seen a thing from my old mate EQ, who I always thought was in fact the smartest of the journos at draft time.
Now part of the GWS football department

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol. She was that good at it she’s now doing it for real

Same with Brett Anderson who wrote for Inside Football and headed up SEN's draft coverage. He now works for Port Adelaide.

Last edited:
my only issue was every year one result was always predictable - the pies were always the one team who killed the draft. His stuff is pretty good, as long as you ignore his collingwood blinkers
Although I'm pretty sure in 2017 and 2018 he said Richmond won the draft.
I did prefer Weaver's though. Wonder what happened to him?

There are many other attributes that I would prefer over “height” in midfield.

Richmond have convinced me that clearances are overrated. We were 18th in the competition from scoring from stoppages. We won two flags without having a “big bodied mid”. Plus clearances are usually just hack kicks forward.

How many of the best midfielders in the history of the game are over 190cm?

Clearances are only overrated if you have a backline as good as ours that chops off everything and repels it for scores.

There is no doubt our midfield needs to improve and evolve. The backline can't cover the mids getting killed in that area forever.

The coaches see that and our lack of depth hence why they drafted pretty much all midfielders.

Clearances are only overrated if you have a backline as good as ours that chops off everything and repels it for scores.

There is no doubt our midfield needs to improve and evolve. The backline can't cover the mids getting killed in that area forever.

The coaches see that and our lack of depth hence why they drafted pretty much all midfielders.

The immediate first clearance is overrated. That's because it's almost always under pressure and so is not clean. The next possession in the line is the one that usually counts - 2-5 meters from the contest. Watch the game, we usually have fewer players in the contest than the oppo, but more players around the contest. More often they win, and we end up with the ball. Our guy/s in the contest try to win the ball, but often put in the hand to stop a clean clearance. We are basically scientific in clearances. We focus on what makes them dangerous and try to enhance our ability to break clear and stop the opposition. Where it all falls apart is when the oppo starts getting clean ball and then our structure instead of stopping them creates holes for them to run into.

I reckon this is why we have gone for some genuine powerful inside monsters (Graham, Ross, RCD + more). We know that to play our style we have to have individuals that can take on 3 others and break even or stop the clean break. That requires power and impact. All these guys are also useful on the outside. They've seen where we get smashed and are building the next generation that takes that weakness away.

Spoke to a mate who is a full time recruiter for another AFL team and got his opinion. He said he's 'not too big' on Dow and Martyn. Didn't mind both Cumberland and RalphSmith who are good athletes and pretty exciting types. Liked the Biggy pick late and was surprised Saints didn't match.

Hardly inspiring feedback but I guess it's a subjective industry.

Spoke to a mate who is a full time recruiter for another AFL team and got his opinion. He said he's 'not too big' on Dow and Martyn. Didn't mind both Cumberland and RalphSmith who are good athletes and pretty exciting types. Liked the Biggy pick late and was surprised Saints didn't match.

what a flog

thats what these campaginers said about stack. fools plenty of them.

thats what these campaginers said about stack. fools plenty of them.
100%. They all have differing views on different players. Until they get into the system we are all none the wiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back