Hottest 100 of the '10s

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I look into the 2010s, the weirder a hottest 100 of the decade seems. There's very little iconic music from this era that's likely to stand the test of time - Triple J has fallen into the trap of disposable pop s**t a lot over the last decade. If you go back to the 2010 countdown, I couldn't see more than 2 of that top 10 making the count. More realistically we're looking at 1 song from that top 10.

The more I look into the 2010s, the weirder a hottest 100 of the decade seems. There's very little iconic music from this era that's likely to stand the test of time - Triple J has fallen into the trap of disposable pop s**t a lot over the last decade. If you go back to the 2010 countdown, I couldn't see more than 2 of that top 10 making the count. More realistically we're looking at 1 song from that top 10.
Will be interesting to see if many songs from outside the 100s make it in

People underestimate the size and scope of a decade. Sure, peruse the Hottest 100 top 10s and it will look a bit bland but there’s plenty of big names that will stand up. The 2010s produced big albums from Arcade Fire, Tame Impala, Gang of Youths, Vampire Weekend, Kendrick Lamar, The National, Kanye, Lorde etc. You’ll probably see sone songs in the 100 that didn’t rate highly in their respective years surge up.

I feel like the 2010 countdown top 10, I only see Big Jet Plane (ugh), Plans and Runaway from the high charting songs making this one

hopefully nothing from the 2019 one makes it tho I'm sure Billie and Tones are somehow going to sneak in

Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People never made the 100 (although a like a version of it did the following year).
Could easily be top ten without surprising me.
It was #32 in 2010, it just didn't become a major hit until the following year.

I feel like the 2010 countdown top 10, I only see Big Jet Plane (ugh), Plans and Runaway from the high charting songs making this one

hopefully nothing from the 2019 one makes it tho I'm sure Billie and Tones are somehow going to sneak in
Dance the Way I Feel is a cracker from that year but the way the band ended means it’s kinda fallen off the radar.

2010 had some absolute icons

Arcade Fire - Ready To Start
Arcade Fire - Sprawl II
Fyfe Dangerfield - When You Walk In The Room
Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel
National, The - Bloodbuzz Ohio
Naked And Famous, The - Punching In A Dream
Groove Armada - Paper Romance
Julian Casablancas - Out Of The Blue

And then the gems that missed out
Wolf Gang - The King And All Of His Men
Metric - Eclipse (All Yours)
Hot Hot Heat - 21@12
Kate Nash - Do-Wah-Doo
Deep Sea Arcade - Lonely In Your Arms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voting: Feb 11th - Mar 9th (midday cutoff)

Countdown: Mar 14th (Saturday)

Official statement makes no mention of no. of votes, but it may have been mentioned in broadcast or on social media?

My top 10 of the 10s
10. Screaming Bloody Murder - Sum 41 - 2011
9. I Am - Hands Like Houses - 2016
8. Surprise Surprise- Billy Talent - 2012
7. Next In Line - Dead Letter Circus - 2010
6. Emotions - Man With A Mission - 2014
5. Evils Fall - Man With A Mission - 2014
4. Stingin Belle - Biffy Clyro - 2013
3. I Still Taste Blood - Gyroscope - 2010
2. Live Without You - Gyroscope- 2010
1. Viking Death March - Billy Talent - 2012

A few close ones with Stone Sour/Gone Sovereign, Violent Soho/Lowbrow

I made a playlist to try and narrow it own to 10. I thought I was being pretty ruthless... still ended up with 47 songs :(

With only 10 songs, I'm likely to pick the big bands of the decade that I've enjoyed and nominate one song. So there'll be something from Gang of Youths, Arcade Fore, The National, maybe Lorde. I may have to throw in a vote for Bodys by Car Seat Headrest, which I think is the best song of the decade but won't come close.

My top 10 of the decade...

M83 - Midnight City (2011)
Todd Terje - Inspector Norse (2012)
Frank Ocean - Pyramids (2012)
Kendrick Lamar - Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe (2012)
The War on Drugs - Red Eyes (2013)
Tame Impala - Let It Happen (2015)
Jamie xx - Loud Places {Ft. Romy} (2015)
Thundercat - Them Changes (2015)
Kanye West - Real Friends (2016)
Anderson .Paak - Tints {Ft. Kendrick Lamar} (2018)

Big advocate of just voting for favourites, instead of trying to target popular JJJ tracks

Sick, we share a fair few votes. Not a single one of yours I dislike either.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (2010)
Metronomy - The Look (2011)
Hot Chip - Flutes (2012)
Beach House - Myth (2012)
Vampire Weekend - Hannah Hunt (2013)
The War on Drugs - Red Eyes (2014)
Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You) (2014)

Weird that my votes are so skewed to the first half of the decade but they were some really formative years for me in terms of finishing school/starting uni etc. Probably look back more fondly on Triple J during that era too.

Voting: Feb 11th - Mar 9th (midday cutoff)

Countdown: Mar 14th (Saturday)

Official statement makes no mention of no. of votes, but it may have been mentioned in broadcast or on social media?

According to Reddit, Bridget Hustwaite said on insta that it's only 10 votes :(

With only 10 songs, I'm likely to pick the big bands of the decade that I've enjoyed and nominate one song. So there'll be something from Gang of Youths, Arcade Fore, The National, maybe Lorde. I may have to throw in a vote for Bodys by Car Seat Headrest, which I think is the best song of the decade but won't come close.

If we got 20 votes I'd definitely be throwing in songs from Arctic Monkeys, Gang of Youths etc – some of my favourite bands over the stretch with albums that I absolutely loved, but not with one particular standout track for mine. I've just got to give my votes to the songs that really hit the mark. I would've listened to probably three Future Islands songs in my lifetime. But there's something about Seasons (Waiting on You) that captures that Zeitgeist so well – the lyrics... "when people change, they gain a peace but they lose one too"; the Letterman performance – it all adds up.

If we got 20 votes I'd definitely be throwing in songs from Arctic Monkeys, Gang of Youths etc – some of my favourite bands over the stretch with albums that I absolutely loved, but not with one particular standout track for mine. I've just got to give my votes to the songs that really hit the mark. I would've listened to probably three Future Islands songs in my lifetime. But there's something about Seasons (Waiting on You) that captures that Zeitgeist so well – the lyrics... "when people change, they gain a peace but they lose one too"; the Letterman performance – it all adds up.
I tend to be an album guy rather than a singles guy. I can easily choose one song from each even if I'm leaving out some songs that are equally or nearly as good. I haven't thought much about it, need to go back over some past Hottest 100s, but I would be leaning towards Deepest Sighs, Frankest Shadows, Let It Happen, Bloodbuzz, Ohio, Sprawl II, Bodys, maybe Green Light. From the singles, could throw in Dance the Way I Feel. That's almost 10 already :(

Last edited:
Only 10 votes each would make this very difficult. I want to vote for 3 Gang of Youths songs but can I justify 3 out of 10?

As long as Thrift Shop is nowhere to be seen I'll be a happy man anyway.

Sick, we share a fair few votes. Not a single one of yours I dislike either.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (2010)
Metronomy - The Look (2011)
Hot Chip - Flutes (2012)
Beach House - Myth (2012)
Vampire Weekend - Hannah Hunt (2013)
The War on Drugs - Red Eyes (2014)
Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You) (2014)

Weird that my votes are so skewed to the first half of the decade but they were some really formative years for me in terms of finishing school/starting uni etc. Probably look back more fondly on Triple J during that era too.
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs, if eligible, should be top 10 at least.

Where did it finish in its year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back