Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so here’s an article that shows that Kennedy and McGlynn were dealt because we had salary cap pressure. We traded both to Sydney for pick 39 (Grimley) pick 46 (Stratton) pick 70 (Suckling). I can’t find one that backs up that JPK was asked to explore his options but I can definitely vouch that was what happened. I remember because I was more in the camp of trading away Sewell rather than extending him which is what we done. The Sewell situation is one where our list management team need to be able to forecast when a player is soon to become cooked and sometimes you need to know when to trade a long serving vet and give his role to a younger player. It’s a bloody hard thing to do without the assistance of hindsight that’s for sure which is why guys like Smith and Gunston might be looked at being moved this offseason.

still got Grimley's number on my Jumper. He must be about to break out soon.

The thing you gotta remember with JPK at the time had no body of work showing that he’d turn out to be the player he was going to be whereas in the other corner you had a battle hardened vet in Sewell who’d won a premiership in 08. I also remember Clarko stating after the trade for JPK and McGlynn going through saying that he didn’t want to lose them but with cap pressure we just couldn’t offer what other clubs could which was more $$$ and just as importantly a bigger role. It came down to keeping Sewell over JPK / McGlynn in the end.
Worth remembering that the club that took Kennedy and McGlynn had 1 million more in their salary cap. Back then they used it wisely by giving the lower paid players a meaninful bump that they couldn't get elsewhere. then with Tippet and Buddy instead of a 10% bump on role players they paid them all market rate and offered it all to those 2. Tipped out Mumford and a few others, no flag since and just had their worst year in ages.

Oh my... the love 💕..🙄

Anyway....
Petracca & Wingard as the starting HFF rotating with Cogs, Jags, Mitchell & Worpell is a lethal combo.
I’m not expecting Petracca at all btw.

We are evolving into a better version of the Collingwood type structure with & very deep midfield.
I’m not taking the piss but it’s an obvious advantage to have a dominant midfield that can get it to a contested marking forward line in the 6-6-6, apply the press & score.

I have said it before, there will only be 1 genuine FP next season & a stacked midfield rotating around Lewis, O’Brien & Patton. We have a bunch of kids that can play that role.

I hope there is mutual interest in Petracca & Hawthorn

I wonder if the Saints would be interested in taking Brand & pay some of the 600k to get Carlisle off the books?

I’m not sold on Jake at all & have always liked the way Brand goes about it outside a few brain farts.

Brand gets more opportunities & we get a cheap & genuine KPD who when at his best on field is a very handy player.

I personally would have persisted with Brand a bit more this year but whatever it is he is or isn’t doing, Clarko doesn’t look sold.
Kosi would be the direct depth replacement for KPD next year & the year after, Carlisle sits at CHB, McEvoy goes solo ruck with Pitto backing up & Patton the change up on game day, Cegs gets a No1 gig somewhere else.

It would actually be a pretty good move if we were only paying 400-450k, rather than the 600k his contract would be on, in the first year & negotiations from there on the length of the contract.
If it was 1.5 over 3 but a guarantee of 2 with the clauses for the 3rd to play it safe with his back, I think you would have to take a pretty serious look at him.

My fantasy trade/draft period scenario:

• I wanted us to use our first-round pick and get the best available talent we can get, do not really follow much of the under 18's and state championships but Dylan Stephens has court my eye with minimal research as a classy midfielder with inside/outside ability and a sense for the goals.
  • We pick up Coniglio up via free agency.
  • We lose free agent Ceglar to Brisbane with other free agents Birchall, Burgoyne, Henderson and Puopolo staying put. Due to the Coniglio signing, no compensation pick is granted.
  • We send our third round (pick 45) to GWS for Patton.
  • We trade our second round (pick 28, 677 points) to Carlton for there first two third rounds (pick 39 and 44, 808 points), to increase our points to spend on McGuiness. 808 points would allow for us to match anything from pick 24 which by reports is about his current value if we're lucky.
  • Then on draft night trade up the draft setting sights on Sydney's pick 58 (currently their sixth for the night and possibly unused), for a future fourth which will be a trade up on our current third pick at 82.

We walk out of trade period and the draft with Coniglio, Patton, a top ten pick, F/S McGuiness and a fourth round. I don't see much on our list that is not best 22 with much currency, maybe Cousins, Morrison and Howe, but I'd rather hold onto them. I'm curious to see if we are still into Greenwood and maybe a future third might be able to get that done as he's out of contract.

Typing this up I just don't see us holding the first round, but are we due to have to use a first round as we haven't used one since 2015. I understand with AFL approval this can be waved and due to our list looking quite healthy I'm sure we could qualify.

second rounder and Poppy for Jack Martin? I think that's fair. GC however would try and get Pick 10 and Isaac Smith for him

Puopolo is a free agent and if he is not at Hawthorn next year we will get nothing for him. Bidding from other interested parties alone will drive the price higher than our second round for Martin.

I wonder if the Saints would be interested in taking Brand & pay some of the 600k to get Carlisle off the books?

I’m not sold on Jake at all & have always liked the way Brand goes about it outside a few brain farts.

Brand gets more opportunities & we get a cheap & genuine KPD who when at his best on field is a very handy player.

I personally would have persisted with Brand a bit more this year but whatever it is he is or isn’t doing, Clarko doesn’t look sold.
Kosi would be the direct depth replacement for KPD next year & the year after, Carlisle sits at CHB, McEvoy goes solo ruck with Pitto backing up & Patton the change up on game day, Cegs gets a No1 gig somewhere else.

It would actually be a pretty good move if we were only paying 400-450k, rather than the 600k his contract would be on, in the first year & negotiations from there on the length of the contract.
If it was 1.5 over 3 but a guarantee of 2 with the clauses for the 3rd to play it safe with his back, I think you would have to take a pretty serious look at him.

Carlisle’s back is stuffed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My fantasy trade/draft period scenario:

• I wanted us to use our first-round pick and get the best available talent we can get, do not really follow much of the under 18's and state championships but Dylan Stephens has court my eye with minimal research as a classy midfielder with inside/outside ability and a sense for the goals.
  • We pick up Coniglio up via free agency.
  • We lose free agent Ceglar to Brisbane with other free agents Birchall, Burgoyne, Henderson and Puopolo staying put. Due to the Coniglio signing, no compensation pick is granted.
  • We send our third round (pick 45) to GWS for Patton.
  • We trade our second round (pick 28, 677 points) to Carlton for there first two third rounds (pick 39 and 44, 808 points), to increase our points to spend on McGuiness. 808 points would allow for us to match anything from pick 24 which by reports is about his current value if we're lucky.
  • Then on draft night trade up the draft setting sights on Sydney's pick 58 (currently their sixth for the night and possibly unused), for a future fourth which will be a trade up on our current third pick at 82.

We walk out of trade period and the draft with Coniglio, Patton, a top ten pick, F/S McGuiness and a fourth round. I don't see much on our list that is not best 22 with much currency, maybe Cousins, Morrison and Howe, but I'd rather hold onto them. I'm curious to see if we are still into Greenwood and maybe a future third might be able to get that done as he's out of contract.

Typing this up I just don't see us holding the first round, but are we due to have to use a first round as we haven't used one since 2015. I understand with AFL approval this can be waved and due to our list looking quite healthy I'm sure we could qualify.

Wow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlisle’s back is stuffed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was would be the key word.

After surgery on a herniated disk/disk protrusion he should be able to get back to full health.

He is obviously back playing so the rehab is over. He has taken the small steps to get over the injury & back in the park proving that the issue is resolved & it is now a fitness & conditioning issue.
That is a great result as it provides a full preseason for his new team to get him up to speed.

If Jake is available, he is the perfect foil for O’Brien as genuine swing men & a real nightmare for match ups pending form during the game.

I wanted Sam Day as the other tall this off season but Carlisle is an upgrade on Day as a CHB every day of the week.

He is actually the same size as McEvoy which is quite surprising & again makes for an interesting structural setup for the ruck position.

Patton rucking forward & Carlisle down back gives McEvoy massive relief to not have to cover so much ground & set up that kick off play offensively or defensively. A huge advantage in the contested marking area through the middle of the ground.

I have now completely talked myself into getting Carlisle... Brand to the Saints. Get it done

What do you guys think? Fair for all involved?

Smith --> Dogs for pick 30
Brand & pick 30 --> St Kilda for Carlisle & pick 55
Cousins & Pick 28 --> Swans for Pick 23
Howe & Pick 23 --> GC for 17

Gets us two picks in the first round which would allow us a bit more room to move in regards to trading one out this year for an established name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back