Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why ?? Gil will ride in on his ambassador horse.

I know people think this is just Cogs sour grapes, but believe me, the industry currently believes the GWS “do NOT have salary cap. HQ, AT ITS DISCRETION, can grant additional outside of Cap payments to GWS players”. “They have and will continue to do so”
Yep. Same offer was made to Tom Lynch to stay, he was sick of getting thrashed so left. GWS players still think they can have $ and success.

Must we?

What do you think we could realistically get for them?

I would be willing to listen to offers but do a couple of 2nd's and cap space do much for us? We have cap space at the moment, sure we can throw it at younger players but that means giving up more currency which will cost a hell of a lot more than what we get for losing Smith and Big Boy.

We went down this rebuild path looking to win over the next few years, trading them for anything other than meaningful pieces goes against that rebuild method and that is how we can end up just being a middling team.
It certainly is interesting.

I think we can package our way to improving our list, especially utilising our 2020 1st.

If we add Patton and a CHB are we then too tall in our best 22?

I’d say Patton(if healthy), Lewis, O’Brien, Big Boy, Frawley and likely Cegs would all be in the top 22 players at the club.

O’Brien had a good 5-6 week period but he’s not a lock for best 22 yet and not really a true key position player. He plays more like a tall flanker.

Who is the mystery key position player? One will be traded in you’d think. :think:

FB: Frawley
CHB: ???
C: Mitchell
CHF: Lewis
FF: Patton
R: O’Meara

If we add Patton and a CHB are we then too tall in our best 22?

I’d say Patton(if healthy), Lewis, O’Brien, Big Boy, Frawley and likely Cegs would all be in the top 22 players at the club.
Can't play Cegs & BB.

It worked with BB @ CHB against Eagles, but other clubs won't fall for that next year

If we can trade both Smith and BB and improve our draft position as well as release a ton of money to go hard at younger players then we must do it.
Can't play Cegs & BB.

It worked with BB @ CHB against Eagles, but other clubs won't fall for that next year
So you reckon BB is on the table? Gee I hope he doesn’t go to the handbaggers. I really don’t want to be hating BB 😔

So you reckon BB is on the table? Gee I hope he doesn’t go to the handbaggers. I really don’t want to be hating BB 😔
I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that he (BB) is being considered as a trade option, but it's very much me rationalising to fill info gaps as opposed to wanting it to happen.

My thoughts: a couple of clubs out there don't have an AFL level 1st ruck, but we have 2. We just signed 1 of them - the younger one - to a 3yr deal. We've shown we don't want to play 2x 1st Rucks. BB has trade currency. Our list has holes that we've now not been able to fill due to Gil's deep pockets.

Adding all that stuff together & forcing (more than drawing) a conclusion is that BB could be trade bait.

I think he goes to Saints. BB + Pick 11 (on-traded for Hill) for Pick 5 + Saints 2020 3rd.

EDIT:
In saying all that, I'd be equally un-surprised if we pulled a sign-&-trade with Cegs & paid a bunch of his 2020 salary to (in effect) buy a good Pick in a trade from another club.

Last edited:
If we’re trading a ruckman surely it’s Cegs

Big Boy is twice the footballer Cegs is
Also about 18 months older, has done 5x the physical work over the last 10 years & would attract a bunch more at the trade table.

I think he goes to Saints. BB + Pick 11 (on-traded for Hill) for Pick 5 + Saints 2020 3rd.
I'd be surprised to see the saints put the best offer forward for Macca, considering they've got Rowan Marshall on the up

if macca was to be traded, theres other teams closer to premierships and with worse ruck stocks, notably Geelong, GWS, Essendon

-cats need to use 1st rounder at draft, so they're left with 35/53

-bombers have 29, 31, 47, 60, 65.

-giants have 11, 13, 49, 75, 85.

Of those 3, i reckon GWS are the most likely to field the best trade. Tick all the boxes although salary may be an issue. Dunno if macca gets ambassadorial payments cause he wasn't drafted there???

-Premiership window

-Good draft stocks

-Good veteran/young players with trade currency

-Glaring hole in list is the ruck position. Dawson simpson retired/Mummy cooked.

-Trade could involve players e.g. Bonar, whoever else or draft picks. They've got plenty of both

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that he (BB) is being considered as a trade option, but it's very much me rationalising to fill info gaps as opposed to wanting it to happen.

My thoughts: a couple of clubs out there don't have an AFL level 1st ruck, but we have 2. We just signed 1 of them - the younger one - to a 3yr deal. We've shown we don't want to play 2x 1st Rucks. BB has trade currency. Our list has holes that we've now not been able to fill due to Gil's deep pockets.

Adding all that stuff together & forcing (more than drawing) a conclusion is that BB could be trade bait.

EDIT:
In saying all that, I'd be equally un-surprised if we pulled a sign-&-trade with Cegs & paid a bunch of his 2020 salary to (in effect) buy a good Pick in a trade from another club.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the sign-and-trade option. Could well be a very good way to use up our salary cap space to good effect given our lack of FAs. If this is the case, I reckon the deal is already done. If that is also true, I reckon it's with GWS, as part of the Patton trade, with a bunch of other bells and whistles that end in our favour (not necessarily, but hopefully, whitfield!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be surprised to see the saints put the best offer forward for Macca, considering they've got Rowan Marshall on the up

if macca was to be traded, theres other teams closer to premierships and with worse ruck stocks, notably Geelong, GWS, Essendon

-cats need to use 1st rounder at draft, so they're left with 35/53

-bombers have 29, 31, 47, 60, 65.

-giants have 11, 13, 49, 75, 85.

Of those 3, i reckon GWS are the most likely to field the best trade. Tick all the boxes although salary may be an issue. Dunno if macca gets ambassadorial payments cause he wasn't drafted there???

-Premiership window

-Good draft stocks

-Good veteran/young players with trade currency

-Glaring hole in list is the ruck position. Dawson simpson retired/Mummy cooked.

-Trade could involve players e.g. Bonar, whoever else or draft picks. They've got plenty of both
Nice work but * could have a 1st coming back via the Swans for Daniher and Cats will be getting 1st for Kelly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the sign-and-trade option. Could well be a very good way to use up our salary cap space to good effect given our lack of FAs. If this is the case, I reckon the deal is already done. If that is also true, I reckon it's with GWS, as part of the Patton trade, with a bunch of other bells and whistles that end in our favour (not necessarily, but hopefully, whitfield!).
Yep the last bit is what I’m hoping happens. Obviously won’t hold my breath and counts on Lachie letting them know what he eventually wants.

Yeh, if it's Cegs then I agree, it'll be GWS.

Need it to be for more than Patton & late sweeteners though, we probs need to add a bit more & get a guy like Bonnar included.

It was History in the making. The Western Bulldogs traded Brian Lake and pick 27 to Hawthorn, receiving picks 21 and 41 in return. Brian lake was 30 years old and fitted a dire need for the club when he was recruited. He came with age, injury and attitude concerns.

Smith and Bigboy (like Lake) are also elite in their positions on the field. They are proven finalists and professionals. Given the Lake trade I envisage the relative worth of both these player would be in the realms of a first round pick , for a premiership aspirant, at the very least. If I was GWS I would throw a first and a fringe player at the HFC for Bigboy, without hesitation. He would be their Lake equivalent. Only problem is they keep stocking up on premium mids which allows them to trade in first rounders ad nauseum over time.

I don't want to see either leave for what its worth. Clarko has always maintained you need to improve your list by at 10% each season to contend. Not sure how losing Smith or Bigboy would help with that. I can't see Clarko taking a step back to go forwards or maybe the draft is very good this year?

O’Brien had a good 5-6 week period but he’s not a lock for best 22 yet and not really a true key position player. He plays more like a tall flanker.

Who is the mystery key position player? One will be traded in you’d think. :think:

FB: Frawley
CHB: The Weed?
C: Mitchell
CHF: Lewis
FF: Patton
R: O’Meara

Also about 18 months older, has done 5x the physical work over the last 10 years & would attract a bunch more at the trade table.
Ceglar has done an ACL and has had back issues in the past

McEvoy has been remarkably durable

We’d be worse off next year trading Big Boy

After recruiting guys like Tom, JOM, Wingard etc, a full rebuild is not what the club has in mind

We’d only be trading BigBoy if someone throws something at us that benefits our list in a compelling way. Even then, he’d have to agree to it, so it would need to be very beneficial for him too.

Not sure it needs that much discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back