Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Thread starter #76
And some didnt want to draft him. The kid can play
I don't recall anyone posting that they didn't want to draft him, however, some were questioning whether we'd reach for him.

Either way, I was elated when we called his name out on draft night when we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I don't recall anyone posting that they didn't want to draft him, however, some were questioning whether we'd reach for him.

Either way, I was elated when we called his name out on draft night when we did.
Yeah, my recollection as well.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well there were comments we are only drafting him because he is Jarrod's brother. But he was good in the state championship, in my opinion I couldnt believe he drifted so far.

jason pm

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fortitude Valley Diehards. Chelsea.
Not to place any unfair expectation on the kid but certain people down at their TACCUP team actually rated Tom a better player than his brother.
IIRC he was described as hard as a cats head like his brother but with more pace and skills.

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Well there were comments we are only drafting him because he is Jarrod's brother. But he was good in the state championship, in my opinion I couldnt believe he drifted so far.
No he wasn't. He was played out of position as a small defender, to play on the oppositions best small forwards, and he played injured. There was a lot of criticism from draft watchers and those who follow and watch GWV that he was being played out of position, and being given a fair chance to show what he can really do, playing as an inside mid who can go forward.

IIRC he was described as hard as a cats head like his brother but with more pace and skills.
The question on Tom during his draft year was his disposal by foot and decision making.

I said it last year, Tom is basically a bigger version of Zac Bailey, with the ability to go forward and kick goals. He attacks the contest at speed, and exits the contest at speed, and has elite agility. Like many inside mids, has had a tendency to bomb the ball forward, rather than lowering the eyes and looking for other options.

Gadzorks

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No he wasn't. He was played out of position as a small defender, to play on the oppositions best small forwards, and he played injured. There was a lot of criticism from draft watchers and those who follow and watch GWV that he was being played out of position, and being given a fair chance to show what he can really do, playing as an inside mid who can go forward.s.
We should send a box of chocolates to Tom's state championship team coach. Seems he did us a big favour - if he'd played Tom in his best position we may well have missed out on drafting him.

a mayes ing

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No he wasn't. He was played out of position as a small defender, to play on the oppositions best small forwards, and he played injured. There was a lot of criticism from draft watchers and those who follow and watch GWV that he was being played out of position, and being given a fair chance to show what he can really do, playing as an inside mid who can go forward.

The question on Tom during his draft year was his disposal by foot and decision making.

I said it last year, Tom is basically a bigger version of Zac Bailey, with the ability to go forward and kick goals. He attacks the contest at speed, and exits the contest at speed, and has elite agility. Like many inside mids, has had a tendency to bomb the ball forward, rather than lowering the eyes and looking for other options.
Pretty sure l remember early on in the Championship before he injured his wrist slamming into the post that he was regularly named in the bests and doing very well. Initiallly l thought he would be between pick 7-25. Did slide a lot tho

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Pretty sure l remember early on in the Championship before he injured his wrist slamming into the post that he was regularly named in the bests and doing very well. Initiallly l thought he would be between pick 7-25. Did slide a lot tho
OK I think I'm getting confused with you calling the TAC Cup the Championships. I thought you were referring to the U18 Championships.

a mayes ing

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
OK I think I'm getting confused with you calling the TAC Cup the Championships. I thought you were referring to the U18 Championships.
Yeah sorry, l don't know anything about the names TAC, Championships, U18. It was early on in the season before he got injured.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was bog in an early game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Thread starter #88
There are some nice passages of play in that footage but my eyes must be painted on because I can't tell who is who for the life of me.
Thought the same thing; could tell who kicked a couple of the goals, Keays, Berry and Allison and who the players were from a couple of passages of play but for the most part, had no idea what was going on.

Dlions

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There are some nice passages of play in that footage but my eyes must be painted on because I can't tell who is who for the life of me.
Not sure who it was? But someone showed a lot of pace through the centre of the ground there at the start of the clip! Cox, maybe? Really hard to tell!

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not sure who it was? But someone showed a lot of pace through the centre of the ground there at the start of the clip! Cox, maybe? Really hard to tell!
Can't see the number properly. My initial thought was Kieden Coleman, academy 19 year old.

irel

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I could only recognize Flick for Brisbane and Hopper the big brute ruckman for Aspley. Princess Atta, must have been benched heh?

Last edited:
Top Bottom