Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the list I really think its time for some harsher decisions. Had enough of settling for keeping decent players. According to the afl website Girro was extended as a rookie so he's on the rookie list. Not sure if correct, but if its not id delist and re-draft as a rookie anyway. Id also delist and rookie Shultz or Crowden. I think Carter has to be promoted onto the official rookie list to stay on the list. Id do that and by my count that leave us with an afl list of 34 if we also delist North. On the rookie list I wouldnt renew the contracts of Orielly or Watson. Leaving one place to rookie. I dont mind Watson, but he still looks like he needs a lot of work to be a good afl player and Im sick of how much potential average afl players we have on the list. With six vacancies Id then bring in Menedue to see how he tests. His quick and can kick the ball so if he looks good Id get him as a delisted free agent. Leaves five live picks. Take the two early and Henry bid. Leaving two more. If there was no one we rate then we redraft Shultz and Crowden, but if there is then we keep the pick. Players we choose have to have great skills and move well. At least one rookie pick is then left so that we can bring in a group of potential afl players and see how the go at training in between the rookie draft and the cut off for official list lodgements. Thats what Richmond did with Stack last year. At least one or two of the players we try should be considered one of the better kicks in the state league system.
I agree.

Why keep players who only have a ceiling as a good foot soldier.

Guys like Watson, Gira, Shultz and Crowden are list cloggers.

Has anyone actually seen any evidence that Luke Jackson could play as a big bodied midfielder? I mean not just in their vivid imagination but actually in a game?

I've watched a fair bit of him and I just don't see it sorry. Is it because he was good at basketball? FWIW he was good at basketball because of his height and aerial work - not because he could weave in and out of traffic like a ~199cm point guard. I get some of the hype about him becoming a really good ruck but it just seems way OTT locking him in as the next Grundy. People are talking pick 3 worthy and I'm like wtf? Any comparisons to (us passing on) Naughton need to remember he smashed it in WAFL League against AFL listed players, not just dominating at Colts level against similar aged players (like Jackson has).

I really hope we don't go speculative with our picks this year. Happy if we don't go WA (I want Stephens with #7 badly) but investing in a young ruck when we have a really good young ruck already on our list seems crazy to me.
Unless you think our young ruck is severely flawed in terms of long term potential with his lack of movement around the ground. Which to be honest I do. In my view Cox, Darcy, Cerra and Blakley are all gigantically overrated on here as they dont work hard enough (or even close to hard enough in the case of the captain of team I cant be bothered following my man Brennan Cox). I was at a game last year where Darcy was more than 50 metres behind his man and calling out for others to cover. Would much rather Jackson who has a giant leap and can win the ball all around the ground and wont be a defensive liability.

Bit harsh on Giro and Crowden

Both are going into their 3rd year and Giro missed all of this year with injury
THats why you delist and rookie them both. No one will draft either of them and they still get payed the same amount of money as they both have a contract if we redraft as rookies.

We should’ve got in before Melbourne and swapped our 2020 R1 with + 2020 R2 to get into the top 10 again this year.

Yeah we really need to recruit a genuine list manager. Preferably one with a decent amount of experience and authority to make these objective long term list decisions that we seem to take the easy road on.
Aish has already said Longmuir's biggest strength is game plan knowledge. Really hope selection and drafting is now based less on filling a role and more on getting enough players who have good skills to implement a precise kicking game plan. Our list has too many inside mids lacking pace and small forwards with average pace compared to most small forwards on afl lists. I cant see roles for either Crowden or Shultz in a precise kicking game plan. Hence Id rather delist them and bring in players who could potentially help in Menedue and a quick skilled state league player. Speaking of game plan I really hope the likes of Connor Blakly are given an absolute rocket next season when they follow the ball and dont work hard enough to cover their man spreading from stoppages. Connor's work rate in terms of staying with his man in sprints longer than 40 metres and ball watching last year were as appalling as ive seen from a freo mid in a long time.

Jackson spent some time down at freo, I think they’ve got a very good idea of what he can do, against AFL quality. I’ll back the club if they take him higher than expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jackson, Rivers and Henry all spent a decent amount of time down at freo last preseason. If possible id trade to get Rives if he was avaialable using two future second sif two thirds came back with the pick for Rivers. The reason is that I predict with a lot of compensation bids the third round picks will move up a lot next season and the second round picks will slide down.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here, Nick Robertson was delisted by the Lions today.

At this stage we have:
No one out of contract (according to the afl site - some think we have one out of contract)
3 senior list spots available (and three top 25 picks)
2 rookie list spots available with a Category B rookie most expect to be upgraded to the Category A rookie list.

Will probably have to look elsewhere. I think he’ll find himself a spot though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Robertson just delisted, although can't imagine we have much interest now.
Not surprised really. If you watch the elimination final against Brisbane, he did a great job tagging however in the last 2 mins of the game made a really poor kicking error which IMO cost them the game. The rough and tough aspect of his game just isn't enough.

Poor ole Belly - in the past after trade period everyone shakes has beer and goes to sleep and forgets about number combinations and Mathematical equations for a year. Trade week is over yet they extend pick swapping by another 6-weeks but the players are goneski - no last min throw an Steak Acres into the mix it is just numbers in the mix. I’m guessing that is why we collected a few later chump change picks like 69 and 79.

He’ll need to head to his favourite golf club to put out an SOS for second hand Lacoste Polo’s.

I like your thinking IP but did you get 10 and 14 mixed up by any chance?
Probably... I'm just a girl, sitting in front of some numbers, asking them to love me. :sleepy:

(But just one slip / typo in the explanation of the very rambunctious efforts it would take for Belly to achieve all that. ;) )

Edit: fixed :)

Last edited:
We need to get the following out of picks 7 and 10.

A player with speed and skills OR two of them.
The player that is the best available.

IMO 2 players with the qualities of speed, skill, agility, footy smarts adds to our list tremendously. We really only have Walters that can be seen as that type and he doesn't even have speed.

We need to get the following out of picks 7 and 10.

A player with speed and skills OR two of them.
The player that is the best available.

IMO 2 players with the qualities of speed, skill, agility, footy smarts adds to our list tremendously. We really only have Walters that can be seen as that type and he doesn't even have speed.
Young,Ash and Stephens seem to fit the brief for pick 7.

Crumpets starting point is always to bag Freo. Even yesterday he was saying Bell stuffed it up by not taking pick 6 - absolute numpty.

Would it be possible to keep the Hagedorn crumpets, basil, Barrett and other sh!tfu#*s in the media thread please? People here are so obsessed with their negativity you can find them in every single thread. If they suck so bad, why do people keep listening to them?

Please let’s contain the slime to the media thread. Surely other people must be growing tired of the constant complaining... I get it. They suck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At this stage we have:
No one out of contract (according to the afl site - some think we have one out of contract)
3 senior list spots available (and three top 25 picks)
2 rookie list spots available with a Category B rookie most expect to be upgraded to the Category A rookie list.

Will probably have to look elsewhere. I think he’ll find himself a spot though.

Is that correct? We've lost 7 from the main list, and added 2. So we should have 5 spots on the main list, or 4 if O'Reilly has to go there. And plus one if North is delisted/rookied.

Would it be possible to keep the Hagedorn crumpets, basil, Barrett and other sh!tfu#*s in the media thread please? People here are so obsessed with their negativity you can find them in every single thread. If they suck so bad, why do people keep listening to them?

Please let’s contain the slime to the media thread. Surely other people must be growing tired of the constant complaining... I get it. They suck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think i have been guilty ,But only in media thread . I think :think:

I have to disagree.

Henry is a late top 10 pick.

The kid is professional with talent and from WA which helps for retention.

If the Blues or Demons bid, then just match.
Yeah I probably wasn’t as clear on that as I meant.

That is IF our club didn’t rate Henry(or any other NGA we may end up with)reasonably close to where he gets actually bid I would hope the clubs strong enough to pass, again if they have other targets in mind.

That said with where our picks are and where Henry will in all likelihood be bid on we’ll pretty much match any bid on him and he’ll be in purple next year 100% regardless of this speculation , so all good

Jackson, Rivers and Henry all spent a decent amount of time down at freo last preseason. If possible id trade to get Rives if he was avaialable using two future second sif two thirds came back with the pick for Rivers. The reason is that I predict with a lot of compensation bids the third round picks will move up a lot next season and the second round picks will slide down.
I agree with what you are saying Sherrif

We need to roll the dice ...you never know when the next Lachie Neale is coming with a high 50's pick

We have enough foot soldiers..keep turning the numbers over until we strike gold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back