Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back on the draft/Henry discussion.

I can't see a possible scenario where we can get 3 picks in the top 12, there just doesn't seem any suitable swaps.

I think our best bet is to bank points and trade back in, after a Henry bid, if there's someone we rate.

Don't tell me I'm the only one that feels like Jackson will be one that we'll rue missing. Anyone got any thoughts on him?

suspect JLo is already keen on us selecting him by recent reporting...funny enough Justin was 196cm and Luke is 198cm..bit of similarity there I think. but Luke a bit more agile and athletic than Justin was.

suspect JLo is already keen on us selecting him by recent reporting...funny enough Justin was 196cm and Luke is 198cm..bit of similarity there I think. but Luke a bit more agile and athletic than Justin was.
Yeah the kid could be anything, every description I've read of him is absolutely glowing. Huge want for mine, if he's got the potential to play up forward there's no reason why he has to push out Darcy either

As much as I’d like to have Jackson, I’m not sure he’s really what we need. The only way that would make sense would be if the club either doesn’t rate Darcy long term or thinks he’s going to go home at some point. Don’t thunk they could both fit in the same team (particularly with Lobb as well)

Early days, but I see Jackson as similar to Pearce. He can play kp forward or back or pinch hit in the ruck. That versatility makes Jackson a very valuable get. Having that very talented developing backup to Hogan and Pearce I would take any day.

Thanks for the welcome people. Been a Freo Member since the start. Always watched this but never joined and this is the reason why. You don’t know me or who I know at Freo. Go back and look at all your posts and see how many of your fortune telling was correct.

easy easy W27...there all okay not so bad.... get to know them, be careful in phrase, try not take offence, not to give offence, quick to apologise if needs be, quick to edit and or explain the context that was meant if something was misunderstood.

That said...every so often you just might need to give someone an uppercut....but of course you will most likely get one back.
Stay on the ship matey. :thumbsu:

If we somehow manoeuvre to pick 3 we could look to trade for the gws first pick and Sam Taylor.
Not sure he is a need though.

Its definitely starting to look unlikely that we can get back into the top 12. To do it I think we need to swap a future 1st for a future 2nd and give up say pick 25 this year which is probs not worth it

I know Doggies will need points for next year but do Port or North? Can we do 9/10 and a future 2nd for 25 and a a future 1st?

There's not much incentive for the guys with a top 12 pick to trade into next year

again your opinion...suspect that if we are setting ourselves on picks in the draft and have targets then all sorts of scenarios may come into play....
for example could we somehow be involved in the Eagles Geelong Kelly deal, or the Fremantle Melbourne Hawks Langdon Frost deal or PA Essendon Fantasia deal.

If we are not fixed on pick 6 or 7 for Stephens and instead were looking at say picks 10,11,12, 24 26 re targeted players...it may be possible but very involved trading.

your thoughts?

Lets stay on course...if BHill is going...and we get what he is worth...we pick the two best available (trust JLo and Bello) and Henry. TK can go enjoy his Eagle Family time. Langdon can make up his mind. Stay or go. Don't be a Diva. Same with Connor Blakely. Mature people work through differences. You don't have to be besties.

The number one goal is to bring home our first FLAG. That should be motivation enough. Twenty years from now...who cares who slept with whose ex-GF or whatever else...

I have a deep sense that we can do this NLT 2023. Lets get cracking Justin!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so choice (the two early picks 6 and 7) rather than extra picks ...say 10, 11, 19 and 20
Yep.

We can do something evil like bid on Green at #6, chew up GWS' teen picks, then take our choice at #7.

Then with our #8 pick we explore trades with the deck shuffled closer

Thanks for the welcome people. Been a Freo Member since the start. Always watched this but never joined and this is the reason why. You don’t know me or who I know at Freo. Go back and look at all your posts and see how many of your fortune telling was correct.

Hey, I just met you
And this is crazy
But let's trade Darcy
Just call me Wrayseyy

I think a few are doing mental gymnastics trying to make sure we only gain picks before a Henry bid will come. An astute trader would still be looking at trades were we might get multiple picks (worth far more) than a single pick before the bid. To trade up the draft clubs pay a massive premium - it is never close to the points system value from what I have seen.

If we have #6, #7, #22, #26, #80 at draft time and a bid for Henry comes at 12 then we'll get two picks at 6 & 7 (eg Robertson, Stephens/Jackson), Henry and then both #22 and #26 will be consumed in matching the bid and we'd probably get back pick ~#34 (the points left over).

If we say trade #6 for say #12 and #18 (from GWS) and end up with #7, #12, #18, #22, #26, #80 at draft time and a bid for Henry comes after our 12 pick, we'll still end up with 2 picks before the bid at #7 and #12 (possible still Robertson or Stephens/Jackson available at #12). Then #18 would cover the Henry bid in full. So we'd have both picks available still at #22 & #26 (or whatever they'd be after bids shifts things). That's 5 players in the top 30 versus only 3 with our existing picks.

Not saying this will happen. But it's in the ball park of what could be possible.

What's the earliest people are expecting a Henry bid to come?

I'm assuming there is nothing stopping a club bidding on Henry just to make Fremantle burn a higher selection except that they'll get Henry if Fremantle choose not to match. He seems to be getting talked up more and more and is saying publicly at least he'd be happy to play anywhere, could fit a need at a lot of clubs.

I think a few are doing mental gymnastics trying to make sure we only gain picks before a Henry bid will come. An astute trader would still be looking at trades were we might get multiple picks (worth far more) than a single pick before the bid. To trade up the draft clubs pay a massive premium - it is never close to the points system value from what I have seen.

If we have #6, #7, #22, #26, #80 at draft time and a bid for Henry comes at 12 then we'll get two picks at 6 & 7 (eg Robertson, Stephens/Jackson), Henry and then both #22 and #26 will be consumed in matching the bid and we'd probably get back pick ~#34 (the points left over).

If we say trade #6 for say #12 and #18 (from GWS) and end up with #7, #12, #18, #22, #26, #80 at draft time and a bid for Henry comes after our 12 pick, we'll still end up with 2 picks before the bid at #7 and #12 (possible still Robertson or Stephens/Jackson available at #12). Then #18 would cover the Henry bid in full. So we'd have both picks available still at #22 & #26 (or whatever they'd be after bids shifts things). That's 5 players in the top 30 versus only 3 with our existing picks.

Not saying this will happen. But it's in the ball park of what could be possible.
I am all for taking the most players we can in the top 30 but I don't see a great deal of value in the GWS pick swap. I hope we'll see the club trading back into the draft after a Henry bid

I'm assuming there is nothing stopping a club bidding on Henry just to make Fremantle burn a higher selection except that they'll get Henry if Fremantle choose not to match. He seems to be getting talked up more and more and is saying publicly at least he'd be happy to play anywhere, could fit a need at a lot of clubs.
I reckon between 11-20

Not me, not even interested in trying to make it work, no good at figures anyways. In Belly we trust.

Personally anywhere from 8-16

On Sam Taylor, and folk saying we don't need a KPD. I disagree. I have no faith in Pearce lasting a full season. Have heard he has bone density issues. We need a plan B
Would you spend a top 10 pick on a plan b because I imagine that's what they'll want for him given they currently would be paying him stuff all and has performed extremely well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back