Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An unstable environment creates that, and with Coach and CEO out the door, plus a list manager under fire, most assistants unsigned and a S&C group apparently under review, we have an unstable environment. Volatile even. The next step is that the scavengers come looking for bits and pieces, and sometimes they find something. Especially if the key person, Bell, is distracted by the business of sticking his fingers in all the leaky bits of the ship. We are vulnerable.

got it exactly...Belly and Hale along with Fyfe need to be getting into the ear of all with positives

Does anyone remember any reports about Darcy being dissatisfied last year? Because if not, why wasn't it reported then? Its not like journos across the industry would have uniformly kept quiet about it.
That is not really the way things will work. The destabilisation will come from his manager with the scent of panic in the air from a club fighting spot fires on all fronts. The unsupported report that Darcy is open to a trade to be close to family/his brother/the family cows/the-club-he-supported-as-a-baby emerge. That unsupported report then gets reported as an un-named source, with the added spice that Geelong is reported to have had a meeting with Darcy's manager. Next it is revealed that Darcy is being under-valued in his contract and that with the imminent retirement of Ablett, Cats out of the goodness of their heart have made an offer too good to refuse for a now home-sick Darcy. etc, etc.

All things aside, can we with a successful draft and a reasonable year of key players not being injured - break into the finals? What players do we need now to take that extra step. If it is out Hill Hill Langdon and hypothetically Tucker and Darcy, and in Kelly, Powell Pepper...who else to balance the books so to speak and add to it?

These are pretty much all the local talent players playing outside WA for consideration apart from a few near end of their playing life.

The bold are some I would think we would consider either for depth or immediate talent, and bearing in mind helping to balance the salary cap with solid and potentially good players etc.

Brandon Starcevich 2021
Tom Joyce 2020
Marcus Adams 2020
Charlie Cameron 2021
PCripps 2021 RFA
Petrevski-Seaton 2021
MMcGovern 2020
Fisher 2021
DeLuca 2019
Guelfi 2019 (knee injury)

Greenwood H 2019
CAhChee 2019
Martin 2019

Powell 2021
Schoenfeld 2020
Frampton 2019
Powell-Pepper 2019
Acres 2020
Alabaskis 2021
Kent 2021
JMarsh 2019
Mayo 2019
Parker 2020
Clark 2022
Kelly 2019
Menegola 2020
Greaves 2019
Williams 2020
Zurhaar 2020
Baker 2021
Bolton 2019
Broad 2020

English 2020
McIntosh 2021 RFA
Miller 2019

MPickett 2019
AlirrAlirr 2021 RFA
Cameron 2019

Tucker Durak 2019
TEnglish 2022
Johanissen 2022 RFA
Lynch 2020
Naughton 2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the topic of Brad Hill's value, I'd have his current value around Neale's value from last year based on his output over the last two years and the factors below.

Factors:
- Clubs typically tend to pay more for quality inside mids in comparison to quality outside mids. Brad is arguably the best in the competition in his position at the moment, whereas Neale wasn't even the best mid at Freo.
- Like Brad, Neale was contracted so Brisbane had to pay a premium.
- Brad has more individual & team accolades than Neale did. Clubs really seem to value the IP that these ex-Hawthorn premiership players bring.
- Neale only wanted to deal with Brisbane and was heading to a two team state. If Brad needs to get back to Melbourne that badly and break his contract then it would be in the interest of both club & player for him to offer his services to all Melbourne clubs.

I'd accept one of the following for him if he wanted out (preferred scenario in order from top to bottom):
1. 1x high value 1st round pick & 1x low value 1st round pick
2. 1x high value 1st round pick & 1x high value 2nd round pick
3. 2x mid value 1st round picks

Last edited:
As you do at 5 am I've had a bit of a think. I believe I'm echoing others on here when I say this as well but going in to the off-season I think our best bet is going to the draft.

If we play our cards right we could have 4 picks in the top 30, and 2 in the top 6. This could be the draft to cap off the rebuild if, and big if, we get those right.

As you do at 5 am I've had a bit of a think. I believe I'm echoing others on here when I say this as well but going in to the off-season I think our best bet is going to the draft.

If we play our cards right we could have 4 picks in the top 30, and 2 in the top 6. This could be the draft to cap off the rebuild if, and big if, we get those right.
If the new coach has a year or so of grace period to be competitive then I agree. Load up on new talent, play them every game next year. If the new coach has to be competitive immediately, trade for more talent ready to go now.

If the new coach has a year or so of grace period to be competitive then I agree. Load up on new talent, play them every game next year. If the new coach has to be competitive immediately, trade for more talent ready to go now.
Kelly seems to be the only decent player on the market we've been linked too. He'd cost at minimum whatever compensation we get for Hill and potentially more. He's a decent player but I don't rate him as highly as others. And in all likelihood he'll request a trade to West Coast again anyway. Beyond that the cupboards pretty bare and you are looking at fringe players.

Kelly seems to be the only decent player on the market we've been linked too. He'd cost at minimum whatever compensation we get for Hill and potentially more. He's a decent player but I don't rate him as highly as others. And in all likelihood he'll request a trade to West Coast again anyway. Beyond that the cupboards pretty bare and you are looking at fringe players.
What I worry about is that there is a board meeting where they decide that we will lose so many members and our game day attendance will get so bad, for us (not bad for the AFL) that we start going broke - quickly.

So to stave that off they decide that whatever the price they need to buy players. Say that Carlton offer Brad Hill really good cash and he is out the door, well Bell comes right over the top and offers Patrick Cripps a eight year deal worth $12,000,000. The same deal is offered to Coniglio, full blown buy the players to get some fan excitement going.

What I worry about is that there is a board meeting where they decide that we will lose so many members and our game day attendance will get so bad, for us (not bad for the AFL) that we start going broke - quickly.

So to stave that off they decide that whatever the price they need to buy players. Say that Carlton offer Brad Hill really good cash and he is out the door, well Bell comes right over the top and offers Patrick Cripps a eight year deal worth $12,000,000. The same deal is offered to Coniglio, full blown buy the players to get some fan excitement going.

Thats how you end up with des hedland, chris tarrant and trent croad.

Surely we have learnt that lesson the hard way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back