Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A positive I think about this years draft compared to last is that once pick 15 (2018) came there was a fair drop in the top end talent...players still okay but the top tier was very good. This year it is looking only a few elite first 3-4 then a fairly even spread out to 25 or more that I rate better than after last years top 15.
Still a lot more info to be gathered though to support that proposition. If I am right, a good year to have 4-5 draft picks inside the top 30.

Wouldn’t mind SPP tbh. Fits in the age and exp bracket nicely. Certainly has his flaws, but gives mid depth.

Wouldn’t want to over pay. Fair value would be our 2nd or a late 1st maybe? Hard to value

Walters can play more forward where he should be

Where he should be is primarily in the midfield.

70/30 split with majority of his time in the middle.

Don't get the SPP love. Has already peaked and that peak is a dumb footballer with poor skills who gets by with physical dominance. Exactly the sort of player you don't want playing for you when the whips get cracking because he will make stupid mistakes.
Pretty much this. If he had some kind of amazing tank then it's a possibility he could be a bruising tagger but other than that, no..

Don't get the SPP love. Has already peaked and that peak is a dumb footballer with poor skills who gets by with physical dominance. Exactly the sort of player you don't want playing for you when the whips get cracking because he will make stupid mistakes.

Grab ball...slap it on the boot...kick as far as you can...anywhere...

Pass

How didn't Blakely go today? I didn't watch, but him as a saviour is a bit far fetched! He's been ok. But no star! He's a foot soldier imo

Where did I mention he was a saviour? I just don't get the SPP love when we have the same OK player on the list playing in defence. Blakely and SPP are almost the exact same player, can get the hard ball but aren't great users of the ball. People wanting SPP are just asking for more average ball use in the team, we already have plenty.

Wasn't too long ago when Freo and West Coast were getting abused for not picking up SPP. He's only 21 years old and at least has the potential to be a best 22 player. He's an upgrade (as a midfielder) on guys like North, Banfield and Crowden
disagree.
how the heck do we know what North can offer if he hasn't even played a single AFL game.
some players play better at AFL level than WAFL level.

disagree.
how the heck do we know what North can offer if he hasn't even played a single AFL game.
some players play better at AFL level than WAFL level.
North has really dropped off in the second half of the WAFL season. Perhaps that is injury. Also too slow for mine. We need outside run. North has been thrown around a bit to try in different positions and hasn’t really shown much versatility.

But I’m not really interested in SPP. He is like Banfield in the fwd half yesterday and like Hughes against Carlton. A midfield bull that just panic kicks the ball forward. Yes he would take some heat off Fyfe but we need more midfield class and outside run. Think Tim Kelly and Mundy when at his peak. Someone able to constructively get the ball out of congestion. With the 6-6-6 rule skilful and constructive f50 entries are critical. Not slap hazard kamikaze entries. I remember Banfield picking the ball up yesterday in a pack just outside 50 and smashed out a kamikaze handball to no one in particular which created an outside ball for St Kilda who then ran in waves for rebound goal. Having seen a bit of SPP it looked very similar to Banfield. Too many red bull drinks or something. Unless he comes as a DFA (aka Jarrod Lyons) or a late draft pick - no thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I'm not saying we should go hard after SPP, but if he is keen to come, and Port only ask for a 2nd/3rd rounder, I say we should consider it, especially if we don't get any other mids (i.e. Kelly or Gus).

We ask for more bid bodies to help Fyfe, but a name like SPP pops up and we say he can't kick and has off-field problems (because he posted a picture on Instagram in his undies?).

But I'm sure that someone who can kick won't be big enough to help Fyfe out in the midfield, or not fast enough to replace Brad Hill.

And a name that pops up who is quick af, won't be big enough or a good enough kick.

I ask anyone to name a midfielder who is strong, quick and a good kick all at the same time, there is almost no one. SPP's speciality will be winning contested ball and potentially helping out Fyfe. He is only 21 and not even being played in Port's midfield atm, so to say that he has already peaked is quite strange.

Once again, even as a depth player, I would much prefer SPP to most of our other mids. He would be much better than anyone playing with Peel atm.

Of course we would rather Tim Kelly or Coniglio or Angus Brayshaw, but I wouldn't be ruling out SPP just because he isn't a perfect kick, just as 95% of the AFL isn't.

Last edited:
We already have the same player in Blakely though? Where does SPP fit in the midfield if we are playing the same player as a half back? The people saying he is good depth over North etc are forgetting we will need to pay him at least double what North is getting.

Look, I'm not saying we should go hard after SPP, but if he is keen to come, and Port only ask for a 2nd/3rd rounder, I say we should consider it, especially if we don't get any other mids (i.e. Kelly or Gus).

We ask for more bid bodies to help Fyfe, but a name like SPP pops up and we say he can't kick and has off-field problems (because he posted a picture on Instagram in his undies?).

But I'm sure that someone who can kick won't be big enough to help Fyfe out in the midfield, or not fast enough to replace Brad Hill.

And a name that pops up who is quick af, won't be big enough or a good enough kick.

I ask anyone to name a midfielder who is strong, quick and a good kick all at the same time, there is almost no one. SPP's speciality will be winning contested ball and potentially helping out Fyfe. He is only 21 and not even being played in Port's midfield atm, so to say that he has already peaked is quite strange.

Once again, even as a depth player, I would much prefer SPP to most of our other mids. He would be much better than anyone playing with Peel atm.

Of course we would rather Tim Kelly or Coniglio or Angus Brayshaw, but I wouldn't be ruling out SPP just because he isn't a perfect kick, just as 95% of the AFL isn't.
The kicking not being great is not ideal but you can work with it. What bothers me is the lack of smarts. He doesn't make great decisions and I don't think ever will. Lach72 summed him up pretty well.

Add the off-field stuff and it is not a remotely enticing package.

Definitely wouldn't do it for a 2nd, would think about doing it for a 3rd depending on our due diligence on his off-field.

We already have the same player in Blakely though? Where does SPP fit in the midfield if we are playing the same player as a half back? The people saying he is good depth over North etc are forgetting we will need to pay him at least double what North is getting.
Ok, good call on the pay, didn't really think about that.

In regards to Blakely, I don't really think they're the same player, but anyways, I would hope that we would be playing Blakely, AB and Cerra in there ahead of him anyway. So something like a midfield of Fyfe, Blakely, AB, Cerra and then SPP as the fifth or even depth player. I reckon SPP wouldn't be completely terrible as a marking fwd either, so could rotate with Walters/Mundy if he has to. Tucker will be pushed onto the wing next year too btw.

The kicking not being great is not ideal but you can work with it. What bothers me is the lack of smarts. He doesn't make great decisions and I don't think ever will. Lach72 summed him up pretty well.

Add the off-field stuff and it is not a remotely enticing package.

Definitely wouldn't do it for a 2nd, would think about doing it for a 3rd depending on our due diligence on his off-field.
Yeah, a late 2nd or 3rd I would do, as he does have talent that is probably worth taking a punt on, and like someone else mentioned he might bring some grunt and toughness that we desperately need

Yeah, a late 2nd or 3rd I would do, as he does have talent that is probably worth taking a punt on, and like someone else mentioned he might bring some grunt and toughness that we desperately need
I don't think grunt or toughness are a problem, certainly not one of our foremost problems.

What is definitely a problem is decision making and execution and he drags us down from our already low bar. He is fine depth for a 3rd and lower contract. I don't think either of those prices are likely.

Grab ball...slap it on the boot...kick as far as you can...anywhere...

Pass

I seem to remember the general consensus on here was that Yeo was surplus to our needs when he was looking to come home. I think he had the same knocks on his ability .
SPP is a bull around the clearances, just what we need to help out Fyfe.

Yeo didn't have the off-field issues.
We aren't a club that is good for players with these off field issues.
We need players that will buy in and develop.
Mature kids, not immature kids like Powell Pepper.
Brayshaw was a step in the right direction, we need to go to the draft and get best available WA players that have good skills, and are good citizens.
Bond and Lloyd put us back some years, and Bell needs to clean it up.
Unfortunately RTB will be the friendly fire casualty

6PR this morning said that Sandi wants to retire but the club is pushing him to go on. Ballas wants to play on.
I will bet London to a brick that both are re-signed for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back