Prediction 2019 Rising Star - Round 6 Nominee Xavier Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

Duursma Butters and Drew.

We can get Mayes in by the seasons end.

Maybe Mayes is the good one.
You mean knee reco Sam Hayes I assume?

Marshall and Farrell also eligible and could be a chance.

He was in 2018. The Rising Star panel always is the All Australian panel + Kevin 'Shifter' Sheehan, the AFL's National Talent Manager. 2018 All Oz panel was

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-27/revealed-the-all-australian-squad-for-2018
The All Australian squad has been selected by Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.
System is unfair, imho. Here, a suggestion for improvement:

There are 10 panelists. After every round, the panel would meet to indicate those players whose game could have been worth of a nomination. Players would need the indication of at least 4 panelists.

Once the indicated names are set, then, the panelists would have a couple of days to analyse and vote on whether those players actually deserve the nomination. The nomination would be given to every player with 8 or more votes.

There would be rounds with more than one nominee, and others with none. Still, that would: (a) secure the nomination for all deserving players regardless of what others do in a particular round; while (b) avoiding the nomination of undeserving players just because it was a weak round for youngsters.

Would it be better? What do you all think?

Despite all that, congratulations to Rozee. Well deserved!

Last edited:
I'm not sure who excites me more out of Rozee and Butters. Pretty fun to have the expectation that they're giving to do something special each week though

IkV9hQq.jpg

System is unfair, imho. Here, a suggestion for improvement:

There are 10 panelists. After every round, the panel would meet to indicate those players whose game could have been worth of a nomination. Players would need the indication of at least 4 panelists.

Once the indicated names are set, then, the panelists would have a couple of days to analyse and vote on whether those players actually deserve the nomination. The nomination would be given to every player with 8 or more votes.

There would be rounds with more than one nominee, and others with none. Still, that would: (a) secure the nomination for all deserving players regardless of what others do in a particular round; while (b) avoiding the nomination of undeserving players just because it was a weak round for youngsters.

Would it be better? What do you all think?

Despite all that, congratulations to Rozee. Well deserved!
They meet 4 times a year to discuss All Oz and RS award.

Problem is most of them live in Victoria, but some do a lot of travelling as they are media people. Glen Jakovich and Warren Tredrea are WA and SA based so they push the WA and SA players as they see all their games either live in the flesh or on TV or on a replay. There are no Qld or NSW based selectors, although Chris Johnson did play for the Lions but is now based in Melbourne.

McLachlan and Hocking plus Sheehan for the RS, are AFL employees (last 2 ex Geelong players), and the other 8 are ex players all 220+ games and are in the media so they watch a few games a week with their media commitments.

But no one watches all 198 home and away games in full in a combination of live + on video replay.

Also a player's efforts are more likely to last in your memory if they do something fantastic, and you see it live in the flesh, as opposed to on the TV replay. So with so many of the 10/11 selectors being based in Victoria, there tends to be a bit of bias to those Vic based players because the majority of selectors see more of Vic based players live in the flesh.

Best example I can think of this bias, is that I saw a 20 year old Chris Judd when playing for the Eagles, kick 5 goals in the first half, live in the flesh in 2003 at the Gabba when I lived in Queensland. He kicked 3 in front of me in the 2nd quarter, where he absolutely ripped to shreds with his pace and agility, the much vaunted defence of triple heavyweight champions the Brisbane Lions. He made the two hard tough Scott brothers look stupid in a couple of those goals.

I watched the replay a couple of days later and highlights since 2003, and it has never captured me like it did at the game. Its probably the best first half of footy I have seen live in the flesh in a V/AFL game, as he didn't just kick the goals as a midfielder, but did all the other stuff a great midfielder does. The Lions tagged him after half time but the job was done, and a middle class team upset the champions on their home ground when Brisbane only lost a game or two a year at the Gabba and had a run of 46-5 record at home in their dominate 4 years.

Last edited:
They meet 4 times a year to discuss All Oz and RS award.

Problem is most of them live in Victoria, but some do a lot of travelling as they are media people. Glen Jakovich and Warren Tredrea are WA and SA based so they push the WA and SA players as they see all their games either live in the flesh or on TV or on a replay. There are no Qld or NSW based selectors, although Chris Johnson did play for the Lions but is now based in Melbourne.

McLachlan and Hocking plus Sheehan for the RS, are AFL employees (last 2 ex Geelong players), and the other 8 are ex players all 220+ games and are in the media so they watch a few games a week with their media commitments.

But no one watches all 198 home and away games in full in a combination of live + on video replay.

Also a player's efforts are more likely to last in your memory if they do something fantastic, and you see it live in the flesh, as opposed to on the TV replay. So with so many of the 10/11 selectors being based in Victoria, there tends to be a bit of bias to those Vic based players because the majority of selectors see more of Vic based players live in the flesh.

Best example I can think of this bias, is that I saw a 20 year old Chris Judd when playing for the Eagles, kick 5 goals in the first half, live in the flesh in 2003 at the Gabba when I lived in Queensland. He kicked 3 in front of me in the 2nd quarter, where he absolutely ripped to shreds with his pace and agility, the much vaunted defence of triple heavyweight champions the Brisbane Lions. He made the two hard tough Scott brothers look stupid in a couple of those goals.

I watched the replay a couple of days later and highlights since 2003, and it has never captured me like it did at the game. Its probably the best first half of footy I have seen live in the flesh in a V/AFL game, as he didn't just kick the goals as a midfielder, but did all the other stuff a great midfielder does. The Lions tagged him after half time but the job was done, and a middle class team upset the champions on their home ground when Brisbane only lost a game or two a year at the Gabba and had a run of 46-5 record at home in their dominate 4 years.

[IMG='width:446px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/8537e0440b14180fe320f4ffd9126831?width=1024[/IMG]

"Ollie Wines? Nope, doesn't ring a bell, Aaron Mullett though. Phwoaaarr!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back