Preview 2019 Round 1: Richmond v Carlton, MCG 7:20pm Thursday 21/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously really pumping the Bloose would be great. But it has a further bonus of the fact we can all picture Gill, Hocking and Wankley all watching as we roll into the last quarter 80 points up, and then during the 1st 10 mins of the last, goal after goal after goal, and there is nothing the Bloose can do... no numbers behind the ball... well Gill, that's what you wanted... more goals scored!!!

Happy even if it happens on a different game though!!

It will be closer than most experts will predict even a possible chance of an upset seeing how slow we have started this preseason and sloppy skills.

Carlton seem to throw everything they have into this Round 1 encounter then taper right off as the season progresses.

Can see the same with this one.

Richmond by 7 points in an ugly encounter but our inaccurate kicking getting us over the line.

It will be closer than most experts will predict even a possible chance of an upset seeing how slow we have started this preseason and sloppy skills.

Carlton seem to throw everything they have into this Round 1 encounter then taper right off as the season progresses.

Can see the same with this one.

Richmond by 7 points in an ugly encounter but our inaccurate kicking getting us over the line.
"The beginning of the end"

Richmond by 27 points in an ugly encounter but our inaccurate kicking getting us over the line.

EFA
I actually agree with your general sentiment, but I can’t see them getting within four goals with 1.5 AFL standard players.

carltoon finished last and won 2 games last year, we finished first and could've easily won the flag. honestly if we lose it would be one of the most embarrassing losses in our history. it should not even be close

We should have beaten Collingwood too after beating them all year quite easily and we got smashed. Nothing is a sure thing in footy even when everyone can see your the better team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two Tiger milestones - JR8 250th and Tross's 200th

How Richmond stars Jack Riewoldt and Alex Rance went from heated clashes to become best mates

From the start of their time at Richmond and for a long while after, Jack Riewoldt and Alex Rance didn’t like each other.
Competitors on the training track and off it, booming personalities who were centre-of-attention wannabes, these two alpha males ran with their own packs to the detriment of the Richmond Football Club.

You might think it a long bow, but others close to Richmond say that if Riewoldt and Rance didn’t grow up and stop being the halfwits they were, the drought-breaking 2017 premiership might not have been won. This story is more of a culture adventure, from not having it, then finding it, then allowing it to flourish, than a celebration of Riewoldt playing his 250th and Rance his 200th in Round 1 against Carlton. Riewoldt wanted this story to be told, boots and all. Once it was fists and all.

1552735736145.png

Their lowest point — and both say they are embarrassed by it — arrived late on a Mad Monday drink-a-thon out the back of the Cricketer’s Arms several years ago. Rance, ever the prankster, was agitating Riewoldt.

He did something to Jack and Jack didn’t like it. Jack responded by striking out at Rance. “Yeah, he clocked me, not hard, but he clocked me.’’ Rance said. “I deserved it.’’ They laugh about it now. Not about the incident, so much, more about the awkwardness of the absurd and egomaniacal relationship which prevailed for so many years between these two so-called leaders.

“I look back now and think, what the hell were we doing?’’ Riewoldt said. Rance: “When you’re young and in a team environment and you’re trying to find your way, you don’t know why you do things. I’m not a deliberately malicious person, but it’s interesting the things you do for attention or survival. It’s a fine line between joking and bullying. I was being such a hypocrite to judge someone else who was exactly the same as me by a different standard.’’

1552735832856.png

Neither hides the contempt they once held for each other, nor do they hide the respect and love they now maintain for each other. “At the start, we were the same person who didn’t have the time for each other,’’ Rance said. “That became frustrating when we trained together, or were in the gym together. We’d rub each other the wrong way. We didn’t have patience for each other and didn’t see why. We were so similar, but the similarities were keeping us apart kind of thing. We are quite confrontational and we say what we think.’’

Did you like him? “Not initially. I mistook his confidence for selfishness.’’ You have to go back to appreciate the present. Riewoldt, Hobart-born and son of local legend “Cabbage’’, was drafted No. 13 in the 2006 draft. A year later, the Perth-raised Rance, son of AFL player Murray, waltzed through Punt Rd doors, having been taken No. 18 in his draft. Dads were high achievers in footy and mums are life-of-the-party types, and their offspring scooped both qualities.

1552735922098.png 1552735932305.png

When Rance arrived, Riewoldt was already a senior player. “Footy is a competitive environment and every season we have to line up on each other to try to get a game and early days I wasn’t getting a game,’’ Rance said. “Jack was a star very early and so, it might’ve been jealously, it might’ve been envy, and I was so competitive, it probably got in the way of me seeing all the greatness he brought.’’

Young bucks with attitude, they also competed for attention. “It’s amazing what you do for acceptance,’’ Rance said. “Jack didn’t need to be a clown to be accepted because he was already really talented. When I came in, I needed to find a different angle, so when I was being a clown, for me that was to gain acceptance. It was, like, you’ve got everything, why do you need to be funny, outspoken and loud as well. Leave something for me kind of thing.’’

1552735997734.png

Riewoldt: “I was a prick, too. I’d take things too far … not be a great teammate. I would really take it to heart to try to beat him.’’ Soon enough, the two alpha males would be standing each other at training, the king of the defence versus the king of forwards. And to make matters worse — which didn’t help culture — teammates were aware of the indifference they had of each other. “It did fester in our groups because it was backs v forwards,’’ Riewoldt said.
“I’d fire up the forwards because I wanted to win, even at training.’’

It was ridiculous. Riewoldt kept his forward craft secret and never gave Rance feedback. If the forwards were working together, separate to the defensive group, and Rance drifted forward to offer advice, Riewoldt would bristle. ‘What are you doing here?’ Rance was the same with the defenders. “It was you look after your backyard and I’ll look after mine,’’ Jack said. Rance added: “We’d say that a bit.’’ Riewoldt: “I’m embarrassed about it because it’s our backyard.’’

Rance. “It was a different culture then. It was survival. We wanted football careers, we didn’t want to just play games. So, for us to survive that’s what we thought we needed to do, show we were leaders in our own right and good players in our own right to survive. But then once we got together, we realised we’d been holding ourselves back for so long to a certain extent. I’m not the player I am without playing all those pre-seasons on Jack. That what our culture was. It was survival and I have to be a dog, and scrap, and be a bit of a prick, then that’s what I have to do.’’
Rance now coaches the forward group.

‘He sees it better than me,’’ Riewoldt said. “He plays against the best players in the competition.’’

Another flashpoint, which not only involved Rance, was Riewoldt’s much-publicised omission from the leadership group. The player vote dissed Riewoldt and it was about this time that Riewoldt was jumping fences and hiding behind cars to avoid the media and making unfortunate comments about Richmond copying Hawthorn’s game style and failing, much to coach Damien Hardwick’s exasperation.

“I’d probably do the same thing (hiding behind cars), but that didn’t rub me up the wrong way,’’ Rance said. “There was other times where I said I don’t think Jack should be in the leadership group. I thought he was about him and not us.’’ He kicks himself now. ‘’That was one my biggest miss-reads with Jack.’’ It was touchy subject then and is a minor hangover now. It came to a head with Riewoldt and Rance one day in the coaches’ room.

Hardwick was there, captain Trent Cotchin, Ivan Maric, Brett Deledio and other coaching staff, when it blew up. “He was honest with me and said why I shouldn’t be in there and that upset me a little bit,’’ Riewoldt said: “And maybe six months after that, he came and up apologised to me and gave me a big hug.’’

It was a determining moment between the two. “Now, we’re hugging after JLT games,’’ Riewoldt laughed.

Rance: “In that room, it was, like, this is what I’m feeling, this is what it is, and then after that, the proof which showed itself to the contrary was overwhelming I thought I’ve miss read this. It was probably a big maturing step for me to be more open-minded about what leadership looks like and what care looks like. He wanted us to win so bad, that he would think I can do it, I can make us win. And I was “that’s not about us, that’s about you’’.

Riewoldt: “You can scarred by prior engagements. At the time, I was pretty filthy. But I have also changed a lot in the past four or five years, and big things have happened to make me change. I was in the leadership group for the first time because I was a good player, that’s purely and solely why I was in there. And I had the knack of being able to talk up at meetings. And I had a distorted view of what I thought leadership was. I had that three to four years away from the leadership group. At first, I was filthy not being in there, wondering why they wouldn’t vote me in. But what I learnt from of Alex is relationships with other players and young players. I got caught up in a bubble of being a good player and spending time with players above my age bracket and not enjoying time with guys around my age bracket.’’

1552736203499.png

It offers a perception Riewoldt was ahead of himself. He’d hang with Deledio and Chris Newman, acting cool with the cool kids. “There were things I missed out on,’’ he says.“What leadership is about is having a connection with everyone.’’

The Riewoldt package — the confidence, noise and attitude — irked Rance, although Rance says he was partly at fault. “I knew it pissed him off he wasn’t in the leadership group, but I never said, and I would do this now, but I never asked how could I help, what could I do to make this better. I was like, out of sight, out of mind, how much more damage can there be done, let’s leave it. Looking back, everyone was jumping at shadows a bit. Because our culture was already poor, Jack became a bit of scapegoat for our troubles. I feel really bad about it now. I wasn’t open-minded enough to see this wasn’t the answer, this won’t fix our issue, we’re shifting chairs, we’re not changing.

“I find it a bit embarrassing. I regret the emotions I had initially. I feel like we’re such great mates now, we wasted so much time, that we could’ve made each other better, the team better, if I had been a bit more understanding, if I hadn’t been stonewall.Riewoldt: “I’m embarrassed about it.’’

Exactly when the relationship changed is not known. About five season ago they began to understand each other. Three seasons ago, they became besties.

“I find it a bit embarrassing. I regret the emotions I had initially. I feel like we’re such great mates now, we wasted so much time, that we could’ve made each other better, the team better, if I had been a bit more understanding, if I hadn’t been stonewall.

Riewoldt: “I’m embarrassed about it.’’

Exactly when the relationship changed is not known. About five season ago they began to understand each other. Three seasons ago, they became besties.

1552737334315.png

A moment in time for both of them came on the night of the first Maddie Vision game in 2015, which was in honour of Maddie Riewoldt, who died of bone marrow failure. A “connection’’ exercise at the Tigers asked the players to talk about the three photographs which mean most to them.

One of Riewoldt’s was an image of himself, Rance and Cotchin walking from the field after the siren. A separate photo, which Riewoldt still keeps in his mobile, captured himself and Rance gazing towards the heavens.

1552737405589.png

“It’s probably the most pivotal moment in my life because of where we’d come from as mates, being combative, to where we came to as a brotherhood, and I look back at that photo and think that’s a real connection moment for me and Rancey,’’ Riewoldt said.
Rance also has the photo. “I was looking up because I was trying not to cry. It was an emotional day.’’

Riewoldt: “He’s a brother and to be honest he was like a brother when we first butted heads because we were so similar. He’s been there for me when I’ve needed mates most in my lowest of lows and I’ve celebrated on a different level with him in the highest of highs.’’
Riewoldt, 30, and Rance, 29, now live about a kilometre from each other in Brighton. Their wives are also close.

Rance has also written a book about Riewoldt, due in June, which is the follow-up to Tigers Roar, a kids’ book with players and people portrayed as animals and written after the 2017 premiership triumph. The new book is called Rabbit’s Hole and is singularly based around Jack Rabbit, which is Jack and is journey from the island of Tasmania to the mainland and to stardom.

Why Jack? ‘’It’s a great story and I wanted to tell it,’’ Rance said.

The one-time combatants are now literary juggernauts. “It’s up there with one the nicest things anyone has done for me,’’ Jack said.
“And by the way, we don’t have Mad Mondays at the Cricketer’s any more.’’

Last edited:
With Caddy, Castagna, Grigg and Lynch injured, would like to see Balta, Soldo and Weller play, plus Baker or Ross.
Would retain KMc and omit Markov and Menadue.
A long season for Nank, we cannot afford a burn-out.

1st game of the year always brings with it extra unknowns. Both times will still be shaking off the cobwebs (no pre season ever gets you all 100%, let alone adjusted to the new rules), and with all that extra unknowns, you get a bigger chance of an upset.

Add to that our major structural changes (2 more talls) and there is plenty of scope for things to go wrong.

Richmond clearly the favorites, and should win, but anything can happen.

On SM-J530Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

This games outcome is so hard to predict, It’s not going to easy although l wish it was. l don’t know how some of us are so f...ing cocky, seriously.
I know it's a long offseason mate but seriously? Carlton will be a good side in 24 months IMO but are you forgetting that we a very good side right now?

I don't see it as cocky if some people EXPECT a win as, quite frankly, we should.

If we lose, we'd have to play like we did in the prelim and something tells me it will be the opposite.

Two Tiger milestones - JR8 250th and Tross's 200th

How Richmond stars Jack Riewoldt and Alex Rance went from heated clashes to become best mates

From the start of their time at Richmond and for a long while after, Jack Riewoldt and Alex Rance didn’t like each other.
Competitors on the training track and off it, booming personalities who were centre-of-attention wannabes, these two alpha males ran with their own packs to the detriment of the Richmond Football Club.

You might think it a long bow, but others close to Richmond say that if Riewoldt and Rance didn’t grow up and stop being the halfwits they were, the drought-breaking 2017 premiership might not have been won. This story is more of a culture adventure, from not having it, then finding it, then allowing it to flourish, than a celebration of Riewoldt playing his 250th and Rance his 200th in Round 1 against Carlton. Riewoldt wanted this story to be told, boots and all. Once it was fists and all.

View attachment 636225

Their lowest point — and both say they are embarrassed by it — arrived late on a Mad Monday drink-a-thon out the back of the Cricketer’s Arms several years ago. Rance, ever the prankster, was agitating Riewoldt.

He did something to Jack and Jack didn’t like it. Jack responded by striking out at Rance. “Yeah, he clocked me, not hard, but he clocked me.’’ Rance said. “I deserved it.’’ They laugh about it now. Not about the incident, so much, more about the awkwardness of the absurd and egomaniacal relationship which prevailed for so many years between these two so-called leaders.

“I look back now and think, what the hell were we doing?’’ Riewoldt said. Rance: “When you’re young and in a team environment and you’re trying to find your way, you don’t know why you do things. I’m not a deliberately malicious person, but it’s interesting the things you do for attention or survival. It’s a fine line between joking and bullying. I was being such a hypocrite to judge someone else who was exactly the same as me by a different standard.’’

View attachment 636226

Neither hides the contempt they once held for each other, nor do they hide the respect and love they now maintain for each other. “At the start, we were the same person who didn’t have the time for each other,’’ Rance said. “That became frustrating when we trained together, or were in the gym together. We’d rub each other the wrong way. We didn’t have patience for each other and didn’t see why. We were so similar, but the similarities were keeping us apart kind of thing. We are quite confrontational and we say what we think.’’

Did you like him? “Not initially. I mistook his confidence for selfishness.’’ You have to go back to appreciate the present. Riewoldt, Hobart-born and son of local legend “Cabbage’’, was drafted No. 13 in the 2006 draft. A year later, the Perth-raised Rance, son of AFL player Murray, waltzed through Punt Rd doors, having been taken No. 18 in his draft. Dads were high achievers in footy and mums are life-of-the-party types, and their offspring scooped both qualities.

View attachment 636228 View attachment 636229

When Rance arrived, Riewoldt was already a senior player. “Footy is a competitive environment and every season we have to line up on each other to try to get a game and early days I wasn’t getting a game,’’ Rance said. “Jack was a star very early and so, it might’ve been jealously, it might’ve been envy, and I was so competitive, it probably got in the way of me seeing all the greatness he brought.’’

Young bucks with attitude, they also competed for attention. “It’s amazing what you do for acceptance,’’ Rance said. “Jack didn’t need to be a clown to be accepted because he was already really talented. When I came in, I needed to find a different angle, so when I was being a clown, for me that was to gain acceptance. It was, like, you’ve got everything, why do you need to be funny, outspoken and loud as well. Leave something for me kind of thing.’’

View attachment 636231

Riewoldt: “I was a prick, too. I’d take things too far … not be a great teammate. I would really take it to heart to try to beat him.’’ Soon enough, the two alpha males would be standing each other at training, the king of the defence versus the king of forwards. And to make matters worse — which didn’t help culture — teammates were aware of the indifference they had of each other. “It did fester in our groups because it was backs v forwards,’’ Riewoldt said.
“I’d fire up the forwards because I wanted to win, even at training.’’

It was ridiculous. Riewoldt kept his forward craft secret and never gave Rance feedback. If the forwards were working together, separate to the defensive group, and Rance drifted forward to offer advice, Riewoldt would bristle. ‘What are you doing here?’ Rance was the same with the defenders. “It was you look after your backyard and I’ll look after mine,’’ Jack said. Rance added: “We’d say that a bit.’’ Riewoldt: “I’m embarrassed about it because it’s our backyard.’’

Rance. “It was a different culture then. It was survival. We wanted football careers, we didn’t want to just play games. So, for us to survive that’s what we thought we needed to do, show we were leaders in our own right and good players in our own right to survive. But then once we got together, we realised we’d been holding ourselves back for so long to a certain extent. I’m not the player I am without playing all those pre-seasons on Jack. That what our culture was. It was survival and I have to be a dog, and scrap, and be a bit of a prick, then that’s what I have to do.’’
Rance now coaches the forward group.

‘He sees it better than me,’’ Riewoldt said. “He plays against the best players in the competition.’’

Another flashpoint, which not only involved Rance, was Riewoldt’s much-publicised omission from the leadership group. The player vote dissed Riewoldt and it was about this time that Riewoldt was jumping fences and hiding behind cars to avoid the media and making unfortunate comments about Richmond copying Hawthorn’s game style and failing, much to coach Damien Hardwick’s exasperation.

“I’d probably do the same thing (hiding behind cars), but that didn’t rub me up the wrong way,’’ Rance said. “There was other times where I said I don’t think Jack should be in the leadership group. I thought he was about him and not us.’’ He kicks himself now. ‘’That was one my biggest miss-reads with Jack.’’ It was touchy subject then and is a minor hangover now. It came to a head with Riewoldt and Rance one day in the coaches’ room.

Hardwick was there, captain Trent Cotchin, Ivan Maric, Brett Deledio and other coaching staff, when it blew up. “He was honest with me and said why I shouldn’t be in there and that upset me a little bit,’’ Riewoldt said: “And maybe six months after that, he came and up apologised to me and gave me a big hug.’’

It was a determining moment between the two. “Now, we’re hugging after JLT games,’’ Riewoldt laughed.

Rance: “In that room, it was, like, this is what I’m feeling, this is what it is, and then after that, the proof which showed itself to the contrary was overwhelming I thought I’ve miss read this. It was probably a big maturing step for me to be more open-minded about what leadership looks like and what care looks like. He wanted us to win so bad, that he would think I can do it, I can make us win. And I was “that’s not about us, that’s about you’’.

Riewoldt: “You can scarred by prior engagements. At the time, I was pretty filthy. But I have also changed a lot in the past four or five years, and big things have happened to make me change. I was in the leadership group for the first time because I was a good player, that’s purely and solely why I was in there. And I had the knack of being able to talk up at meetings. And I had a distorted view of what I thought leadership was. I had that three to four years away from the leadership group. At first, I was filthy not being in there, wondering why they wouldn’t vote me in. But what I learnt from of Alex is relationships with other players and young players. I got caught up in a bubble of being a good player and spending time with players above my age bracket and not enjoying time with guys around my age bracket.’’

View attachment 636242

It offers a perception Riewoldt was ahead of himself. He’d hang with Deledio and Chris Newman, acting cool with the cool kids. “There were things I missed out on,’’ he says.“What leadership is about is having a connection with everyone.’’

The Riewoldt package — the confidence, noise and attitude — irked Rance, although Rance says he was partly at fault. “I knew it pissed him off he wasn’t in the leadership group, but I never said, and I would do this now, but I never asked how could I help, what could I do to make this better. I was like, out of sight, out of mind, how much more damage can there be done, let’s leave it. Looking back, everyone was jumping at shadows a bit. Because our culture was already poor, Jack became a bit of scapegoat for our troubles. I feel really bad about it now. I wasn’t open-minded enough to see this wasn’t the answer, this won’t fix our issue, we’re shifting chairs, we’re not changing.

“I find it a bit embarrassing. I regret the emotions I had initially. I feel like we’re such great mates now, we wasted so much time, that we could’ve made each other better, the team better, if I had been a bit more understanding, if I hadn’t been stonewall.Riewoldt: “I’m embarrassed about it.’’

“I find it a bit embarrassing. I regret the emotions I had initially. I feel like we’re such great mates now, we wasted so much time, that we could’ve made each other better, the team better, if I had been a bit more understanding, if I hadn’t been stonewall.

Riewoldt: “I’m embarrassed about it.’’

View attachment 636251

A moment in time for both of them came on the night of the first Maddie Vision game in 2015, which was in honour of Maddie Riewoldt, who died of bone marrow failure. A “connection’’ exercise at the Tigers asked the players to talk about the three photographs which mean most to them.

One of Riewoldt’s was an image of himself, Rance and Cotchin walking from the field after the siren. A separate photo, which Riewoldt still keeps in his mobile, captured himself and Rance gazing towards the heavens.

View attachment 636253

“It’s probably the most pivotal moment in my life because of where we’d come from as mates, being combative, to where we came to as a brotherhood, and I look back at that photo and think that’s a real connection moment for me and Rancey,’’ Riewoldt said.
Rance also has the photo. “I was looking up because I was trying not to cry. It was an emotional day.’’

Riewoldt: “He’s a brother and to be honest he was like a brother when we first butted heads because we were so similar. He’s been there for me when I’ve needed mates most in my lowest of lows and I’ve celebrated on a different level with him in the highest of highs.’’
Riewoldt, 30, and Rance, 29, now live about a kilometre from each other in Brighton. Their wives are also close.

Rance has also written a book about Riewoldt, due in June, which is the follow-up to Tigers Roar, a kids’ book with players and people portrayed as animals and written after the 2017 premiership triumph. The new book is called Rabbit’s Hole and is singularly based around Jack Rabbit, which is Jack and is journey from the island of Tasmania to the mainland and to stardom.

Why Jack? ‘’It’s a great story and I wanted to tell it,’’ Rance said.

The one-time combatants are now literary juggernauts. “It’s up there with one the nicest things anyone has done for me,’’ Jack said.
“And by the way, we don’t have Mad Mondays at the Cricketer’s any more.’’
Now you’ve got me filthy we didn’t make the GF because it could have been these guys milestone games.

This games outcome is so hard to predict, It’s not going to easy although l wish it was. l don’t know how some of us are so f...ing cocky, seriously.
lol , why is it so hard to predict ? its first from last year vs the spooners. richmond will win comfortably

if we cant be cocky against the reigning wooden spooners who can we be cocky against ?

ffs

lol , why is it so hard to predict ? its first from last year vs the spooners. richmond will win comfortably

if we cant be cocky against the reigning wooden spooners who can we be cocky against ?

ffs
Yeah well when you put it like that, ok!
But, but, but it's their GF against us that's why I am concerned, throw in the maggots, and the new rules...a few new variables that we are up against for the first time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back