2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily. Guys like Rankine and Rozee were producing at league level last year, and there's no question about their room for improvement. The difference with Gould is people look at him and assume he's just playing well because he's already so big. So they discount what he's actually doing.

Where he gets drafted will depend on what role teams project for him. There may be some who see just a third or fourth tall defender, so would have a later range on him. Others will see a versatile and attacking player, with a Hodge/Shaw/Hurn ability to lead and organise a back half.

He's not just big Chris, big big. 192cm and already a fit 98kg at 18. Not too many come by with such a matured body and stamina as well

People look for reasons, the question is always asked: "what are his weaknesses?" and big boys that play well can fall into the trap of being grouped with the big boys who got by playing like a brute, very physically.

The sort who can wrestle from a bad position, or late to read the flight of the ball, to the front to win or the sort who get their hands on the ball and push off to clear.

Intercept uncontested marks and clean clearances will split the man children (who might peak earlier) from the players who developed a bit earlier but have the fundementals.

Guys who can kick, run, read the play/ball and mark don't need to be big, but if the come big they can start much earlier.

Not necessarily. Guys like Rankine and Rozee were producing at league level last year, and there's no question about their room for improvement. The difference with Gould is people look at him and assume he's just playing well because he's already so big. So they discount what he's actually doing.

Where he gets drafted will depend on what role teams project for him. There may be some who see just a third or fourth tall defender, so would have a later range on him. Others will see a versatile and attacking player, with a Hodge/Shaw/Hurn ability to lead and organise a back half.
totally agree.

Gould is more of quarter back than a key back.

Which is the main reason why he may not go early, indicating limited future development that you expect from young players as they build size and stamina.

Usually one can make a connection with a past player....I thought maybe Dipierdomenico similar size weight and way he moves...but no Dippa's height 185 and playing weight 93kg.

This is a comparison posted on the Crows Board by a poster called Nailuj. They are rankings (not Phantom Drafts) by some of the media/bf crew. He has given me permission to post it up here, and I find it quite interesting when thinking about the likely candidates and also the value of our picks.

I would highlight WA players for interest, to see the diversity of opinion about where they may go.

Robertson 9, 8, 15, _
Henry 12, 12, 12, 16 (probably the most consistent rating in the draft outside 1 & 2)
Jackson 14, 13, 11, 11
Sharp _, 16, _, _
Rivers _, _, 13, 13

I am also going to highlight a couple of the most talked about targets for us, the SA duo Stephens and Gould.

Stephens 13, 14, 10, 8
Gould 15, 4, 18, 12

And some popular Vic options

Ash 6, 6, 6, 5
Kemp 7, 5, 8, 9
Flanders 10, 9, 7, 6

Just based on the numbers and our likely picks (assuming Hill for 5), we would end up with Ash, Kemp and Henry.

Happy Days.

It also indicates to me that if the club was open to trading down and targeting WA product then we could potentially end up with 2-3 of Robertson, Jackson and Rivers before a Henry bid eventuates. Possibly even a later pick for Sharp or Taylor.

Last edited:
I like the look of Pete William's list
Live trade with the giants for 11, 16 take 6, 11 and 16 to the draft and grab Flanders/Stephens/Kemo , Jackson, Robbo and still get Henry with our picks in the 20s

I like the look of Pete William's list
Live trade with the giants for 11, 16 take 6, 11 and 16 to the draft and grab Flanders/Stephens/Kemo , Jackson, Robbo and still get Henry with our picks in the 20s
I think their drafts show a real lack of certainty about player rankings. A lack of definition. It is revealed in their (imo) under-rating of the WA and SA prospects with the writers being Vic based. Also their prediction of where Henry goes looks more like group-think based on eating up our apparently available second round pick than being an independent ranking (I doubt many of them have seen a lot of him live).

When you read some of their thoughts on the nature of this draft it typically reveals that from 10-30 there are quite a lot of names who have a similar rating and could go anywhere. I'm hoping that helps us out with Henry, and that it helps the WA players slide a little.

I'm not usually a "must favour WA players" kind of poster, but this draft and the club's current situation has a bit of a perfect storm happening. In that top 30 are some terrific WA players, and in terms of our "needs' they are hitting them beautifully. At the same time we are going through some cultural transition as club and I think bringing in a batch of WA product together could be a good investment.

Last edited:
I think their drafts show a real lack of certainty about player rankings. A lack of definition. It is revealed in their (imo) under-rating of the WA and SA prospects with the writers being Vic based. Also their prediction of where Henry goes looks more like group-think based on eating up our apparently available second round pick than being an independent ranking (I doubt many of them have seen a lot of him live).

When you read some of their thoughts on the nature of this draft it typically reveals that from 10-30 there are quite a lot of names who have a similar rating and could go anywhere. I'm hoping that helps us out with Henry, and that it helps the WA players slide a little.

I'm not usually a "must favour WA players" kind of poster, but this draft and the club's current situation has a bit of a perfect storm happening. In that top 30 are some terrific WA players, and in terms of our "needs' they are hitting them beautifully. At the same time we are going through some cultural transition as club and I think bringing in a batch of WA product together could be a good investment.
My thoughts exactly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% AND let us all remember that:
(i) Patrick Cripps went at 13, with Fyfe at 20. WA players rarely get rated well by those over East. Just because a vic kid is placed by everyone at 5-8 in the draft, doesn't mean the WA kid we pick up later is not going to turn out to have a far better career and not leave "to go home"; and
(ii) WC will likely use up all their top picks in getting Kelly to compete with us for the WA talent
This could be a big draft year for us if we don't stuff it up

It never ceases to amaze me that people that don’t see any live colts or 18’s footy can critique other people’s views because apparently they haven’t seen much live colts or 18’s footy and not even get the hypocrisy.
Even if two people see the same game does mean either is wrong about any conflicting views.

100% AND let us all remember that:
(i) Patrick Cripps went at 13, with Fyfe at 20. WA players rarely get rated well by those over East. Just because a vic kid is placed by everyone at 5-8 in the draft, doesn't mean the WA kid we pick up later is not going to turn out to have a far better career and not leave "to go home"; and
(ii) WC will likely use up all their top picks in getting Kelly to compete with us for the WA talent
This could be a big draft year for us if we don't stuff it up
WA get less exposure than the Inner Melbourne kids.

If WCE use their picks for Kelly, they won’t be getting all the WA kids.

We get Kelly, their picks 13,22,31 are in prime spots for WA players.

I am thinking that maybe, we downgrade picks 5,6 into 3 early teen picks to get the WA trade talent.

To compare Cripps v Robertson v Deboer below is Deboer draft year profile... he didn’t get drafted but was rookied by Freo

“MATTHEW DE BOER - CLAREMONT / SWANBOURNE JFC.
10/3/90
186.7cm
83kgs

A prolific ball winner, Matthew is a medium midfielder noted for fearless attack on the ball. He runs hard for his team and has strong hands overhead.

He earned All-Australian honours representing Western Australia at the 2008 under-18 Championships. Matthew was the second ranked player overall for disposals at the Championships and was also prominent in the clearances and inside 50 rankings. He averaged 20 possessions and four inside 50s per match.

One of Western Australia’s shining lights in their shock loss to Vic Country, Matthew gathered 23 disposals and six marks, pumping the ball six times into the forward 50.

Playing senior football with Claremont in 2008, he was a key cog in the midfield averaging 17 possessions per match.

He was at his most influential in round 12 against Swan Districts gathering 25 touches and four marks”

Robertson out to 11 in Twomey’s latest ranking and the first of the West Aussies.

As it stands now, I think we’d be deciding between him and Ash at pick 6.

NAB League GF being shown on Fox Footy at 1pm Saturday (assume EST so 11am here)

Amongst a few other "draftable's", Chayce Black is involved

I’m of the view if we want a player like ash we just grab sharp(who I hope we get anyway) with our later picks(2nd rounders).
Feel he’s got just as much upside without perhaps as much bank ability.

But comes at a much cheaper draft cost.

Would then allows to take a Robertson or Stephens instead at our first

Then we should do the same with Robertson too. Overlook him, and just go with Schoenberg in the second round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back