Game Day 2020 AFLW Rnd 2 - Richmond vs Gold Coast Saturday 15th Feb Metricon Stadium 4.10pm local time - 5.10 Melb time

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a good point. They also took Brisbane’s captain and vice captain and Brisbane played in the first two Grand Finals.
They aren’t as inexperienced as you would think.
In saying that, we should have won. I think people here who are bagging our team need to cool their jets.

If you didn’t know the score and you had the following stats you would think we had won comfortably.

Kicks - 147 v 127
Handballs - 103 v 66
Total disposals - 250 v 193
Disposal Efficiency - 60% v 58%
Inside 50 Efficiency - 41% v 26%
Contested Possession - 112 v 97
Uncontested Possession - 134 v 85
Marks - 52 v 33
Marks inside 50 - 12 v 3
Clearances - 20 v 13

We should have won and we should be disappointed with the result because we let an opportunity slip NOT because our team is bad.
They might be a fair way from the top teams but they should be more than competitive against the rest. Could you ask much more from Season 1?

And our competiveness will get better with each game played, GC also played Lions numerous times in the QW series and had 4 games against current AFLW teams to get used to playing with AFLW like pressure.

That’s a good point. They also took Brisbane’s captain and vice captain and Brisbane played in the first two Grand Finals.
In saying that, we should have won. I think people here who are bagging our team need to cool their jets.

If you didn’t know the score and you had the following stats you would think we had won comfortably.

Kicks - 147 v 127
Handballs - 103 v 66
Marks - 52 v 33
Marks inside 50 - 12 v 3
Clearances - 20 v 13

We should have won and we should be disappointed with the result because we let an opportunity slip NOT because our team is bad.
They might be a fair way from the top teams but they should be more than competitive against the rest. Could you ask much more from Season 1?
I agree with you, except for a few basic skill errors that they can work on they didn’t play badly.

They have talent they’ve just got to fix a some things up.

I’m with a few people who have said don’t worry about a complicated game plan this year, work on their skills and get them moving the ball quickly and accurately and it will go a long way towards them winning games.

Looking at all the expansion clubs being quite far behind the pace, I think everyone should get an extra end-of-second-round pick or similar in this next draft. I just can't see how a side like ours with such little depth is supposed to build that out in the short term without concessional picks.

I wouldn't call for this kind of thing in the Men's, but in the AFLW where image is important to solidify fan, media and public support, the league can't afford to have four clubs who will be behind the pace for multiple years.

More than just pace , skill is really poor at this level , very little creative handball and man the short passing is , ummmm I’ll be nice , there’s plenty of room for improvement

yes our skill level is poor but it's because of the pressure from Blues RR1 and GC R2 put us under
the pressure level from VFLW to AFLW is huge, once we're more used to this, the better our skill level will look
ATM we look bad because the oppo is making us fumble and forced into basic errors
Adjusting will take time

Kicks - 147 v 127
Handballs - 103 v 66
Marks - 52 v 33
Marks inside 50 - 12 v 3
Clearances - 20 v 13

I think the biggest problem at the moment is taking your chances when the game is on your terms
GC converted their chances when they presented, we didn't
especially that last Q which was a match killer

And our competiveness will get better with each game played, GC also played Lions numerous times in the QW series and had 4 games against current AFLW teams to get used to playing with AFLW like pressure.

this is a very good observation, well done
have watched 3 AFLW games so far this season, us v Blues, Demons v Dogs and Freo v WC
us v Blues, they were light years ahead of us in regards to composure and tempo
Demons v Dogs, demons ahead in composure and tempo but not as much because the Dogs have a larger core of senior AFLW players with which to rely on
Freo v WC, Freo was in another league than WC, freo's ability to string together 2-3 plays made WC look like a u/10's side

Looking at all the expansion clubs being quite far behind the pace, I think everyone should get an extra end-of-second-round pick or similar in this next draft. I just can't see how a side like ours with such little depth is supposed to build that out in the short term without concessional picks.

I wouldn't call for this kind of thing in the Men's, but in the AFLW where image is important to solidify fan, media and public support, the league can't afford to have four clubs who will be behind the pace for multiple years.

yes probably would help, but the spread of talent is still too thin ATM
apart from say the top 10 in VIC, talent is not there as yet
also having 8 teams in VIC doesn't help in acquiring top end talent like say Crows who are a one team state
but in another say 2 years the talent might well be there in VIC for all 8 teams

yes probably would help, but the spread of talent is still too thin ATM
apart from say the top 10 in VIC, talent is not there as yet
also having 8 teams in VIC doesn't help in acquiring top end talent like say Crows who are a one team state
but in another say 2 years the talent might well be there in VIC for all 8 teams

I disagree. We can see that a player like Sansonetti who went at 40 is already among our best players. The other 10 clubs have the kind of depth where a single draftee isn't that important, but for us expansion sides, an extra top 30 pick will mean a whole new best-21 player and quite likely a best 10 or so player.

It's crazy to me that club's like the WB were able to come out of last year's draft with four top-10 picks as some kind of make up for losing players despite their list strength still being better than any of the expansion clubs who they lost talent to.

I disagree. We can see that a player like Sansonetti who went at 40 is already among our best players. The other 10 clubs have the kind of depth where a single draftee isn't that important, but for us expansion sides, an extra top 30 pick will mean a whole new best-21 player and quite likely a best 10 or so player.

It's crazy to me that club's like the WB were able to come out of last year's draft with four top-10 picks as some kind of make up for losing players despite their list strength still being better than any of the expansion clubs who they lost talent to.

yes I agree with the last part about the Dogs strongly, but much like the AFL compensation, it's very iffy
just saying the quality after the top 10 drops off greatly in the AFLW draft at the moment
we picked Molan, McLellend, Wood and Sansonetti as our 1st four picks and an extra pick yes would have helped the newbie sides
what would have helped as well if not more if the newbie sides were able to recruit more of the VFLW players like our Grace Egan, who would be a great asset in our midfield/around the ground rotation, she is playing really good footy but for Carlton unfortunately
we look like we'll finish bottom 2 in our conference so should be looking at a very good player or 2 at draft time

Last edited:
Just saw the interview on the club website with Sarah Sansonetti.
I thought she had a really good game.
Think she will turn into a player like Nick Vlastuin. Ever reliable.

Yep, suggested similar last week, think she will be a beauty because of how she just has repeat effort after repeat effort. She is back line gold at the moment - think she led the possessions on the ground at quarter time with 8. Thought her second half was quiet though this week. Happens.

Kicks - 147 v 127
Handballs - 103 v 66
Marks - 52 v 33
Marks inside 50 - 12 v 3
Clearances - 20 v 13

Absolutely in that game up to our neck, and that last quarter was so threatening but just could not make it happen. Those marks inside 50, close to half would have been in the last quarter. 14 scoring shots to 8!

That on the quarter time siren brain fade for 50m hurt. Conti deserved better protection from the umpire. We were the more skillful team, but they played as a team just that little bit better for longer patches. Still think we need to release the ball quicker so we can stay in possession longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes I agree with the last part about the Dogs strongly, but much like the AFL compensation, it's very iffy
just saying the quality after the top 10 drops off greatly in the AFLW draft at the moment
we picked Molan, McLellend, Wood and Sansonetti as our 1st four picks and an extra pick yes would have helped the newbie sides
what would have helped as well if not more if the newbie sides were able to recruit more of the VFLW players like our Grace Egan, who would be a great asset in our midfield/around the ground rotation, she is playing really good footy but for Carlton unfortunately
we look like we'll finish bottom 2 in our conference so should be looking at a very good player or 2 at draft time

Well, about Egan, that was just an own goal. We could have signed her in May but we used all out spots on players that would have been available with picks in the 70s.

Well, about Egan, that was just an own goal. We could have signed her in May but we used all out spots on players that would have been available with picks in the 70s.

Grace Egan played particularly well yesterday. You can't assess these sort of recruiting decisions until a couple of seasons down the track, especially with the season being so short. Don't forget, we did rate Grace but just not as a second rounder.

Firstly I can understand how we upgraded others ahead of her from our VFLW team. The reality is that at the time they just showed a little more than Grace during the VFLW season. I certainly don't believe we could have upgraded Grace back in May. Our first game was on May 11 and 2019 was her first year. It wasn't like she was a absolute standout early. I think she built her season along nicely playing her best game in the last game of the year before finals.

Then it comes down to draft day. We needed to take Grace at our second pick #25. Personally I'm pretty happy with Laura McClellend. She will take a bit of time but she has already shows signs that she will be a very good player. Laura also fills holes in that she can play forward or back and pinch hit in the ruck. Really versatile. Not sure I would have taken her ahead of Ella Wood either who I thought would go earlier than #31. I'd be interested to know who you thought would have still been there in the 70's from our early VFLW upgrades. Don't forget we used #71 and #84 for Bailey and Dempsey and Woodward was a freebie so they don't count.

Blues took a chance and it may pay off. Good for them. You win some you lose some.

Last edited:
R2 Gold Coast v Richmond

1581984831572.png
1581984859576.png
FEB 15. 2020. 7:01 PM
Match report: Suns shine at home to edge Tigers in battle of newcomers
Jourdan Canil

GOLD Coast has secured its first AFLW win by defeating fellow newcomer Richmond by 11 points at Metricon Stadium.
Jamie Stanton starred for the Suns with 20 disposals and an early goal in an intriguing battle with Tigers skipper Katie Brennan.

Ex-Lion Stanton left the field with her left arm slung in her jumper after being collected by Richmond forward Courtney Wakefield, but the tough midfielder played out the rest of the game.

Coast, kicking two goals and clunking a few strong marks along the way as the Suns posted a 5.3 (33) to 2.10 (22) victory.
The Suns played with dare and executed at a high level at times, with sharp kicks through the corridor and tough contested marks the hallmarks of an exciting game style.

Richmond clawed back late but struggled to kick straight in front of goals, with Gold Coast's constant pressure making every possession for the Tigers a hurried one.
Tayla Stahl was one positive for the Tigers, kicking her first goal in the AFLW in her second game.
Stahl's redemption story is one of significant magnitude, after the 25-year-old spent a week in remand after being the getaway driver in a bank robbery in 2014.

One to watch
Ex-Lion Jacqui Yorston kicked a magnificent goal for the Suns and finished the day with seven disposals. You couldn't miss the 19-year-old's intense pressure around the ball, as she laid seven tackles. Yorston stayed committed to her long sleeve guernsey despite the temperature gauge hitting 30 degrees.

The difference
The Suns laid 73 tackles for the day, 20 more than the Tigers. Coach David Lake will no doubt be pleased with his side's defensive effort, with Gold Coast averaging 77 tackles across the first two weeks of the competition.

Work in progress
Richmond's Grace Campbell had an up-and-down debut, showcasing great toughness and speed around the midfield. The 24-year-old would have been disappointed in a few of her kicks, but she added a different dimension to the Tigers' onball brigade.

The moment
The Suns headed into quarter-time with belief, as Surman ran down Richmond's Rebecca Miller just outside the arc seconds before the siren. The Tigers gave away a costly 50-metre penalty and Surman nailed the goal to level the scores. It was all Gold Coast after that.

Say what?
"I reckon my smile says it all." - Gold Coast co-captain Leah Kaslar on how the club's first win felt.

"I can't wait so bring it on. A little bit of bragging rights and that's good fun, but if we got that, how good would that be?" – Gold Coast coach David Lake on the upcoming clash against Brisbane next Saturday.

"We attacked the game really well, we just couldn't capitalise in the forward 50." – Richmond coach Tom Hunter on what went wrong.

"It's an absolute dream to play with such hard workers." – Richmond forward Sabrina Frederick on teammates Tayla Stahl and Christina Bernadi.

What's next?
Gold Coast faces crosstown foe Brisbane for the first time at Metricon Stadium next Saturday at 4.10pm AEST. The Tigers play host to the red-hot Kangaroos at Ikon Park next Sunday at 3.10pm AEDT.

GOLD COAST 2.2 4.3 5.3 5.3 (33)
RICHMOND 2.2 2.4 2.5 2.10 (22)
GOALS
Gold Coast:
Surman 2, Perry, Stanton, Yorston
Richmond: Bernardi, Stahl
BEST
Gold Coast:
Stanton, Surman, Kaslar, Dunn, Ahrens
Richmond: Monahan, Conti, Bernardi, Campbell, Stahl
INJURIES
Gold Coast: