List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
His comments were about people more in to trade or draft side of things, and them not enjoying the Lions possibly competing in the final.

Didn’t want to have the Daniher discussion on the podcast until we had been knocked out or won everything.

Of course I’m enjoying us competing for the flag. Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the recruiting and list management side of things as well.
What does that say about me when I’m already looking forward to next years draft? Supposedly quite strong and now all I need is for a first round death ride, Collingwood please, Collingwood please!

His comments were about people more in to trade or draft side of things, and them not enjoying the Lions possibly competing in the final.

Didn’t want to have the Daniher discussion on the podcast until we had been knocked out or won everything.

Of course I’m enjoying us competing for the flag. Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the recruiting and list management side of things as well.

Please tell me you're not serious. It was clear as day the podcast directive was not to focus on trade etc and once the season is over they need topics to cover and would be silly to burn through their trade talk while the season is still alive (you know, the first prelim in 16 years).

It seems like an extremely odd thing to get upset about.

I think he felt targeted, yet if he is excited for the finals series it obviously wasn't him they were talking about.

Please tell me you're not serious. It was clear as day the podcast directive was not to focus on trade etc and once the season is over they need topics to cover and would be silly to burn through their trade talk while the season is still alive (you know, the first prelim in 16 years).

I think you’re overreacting to me having a bit of fun, and tongue-in-cheek. But, whatever...

However, go back and listen to the 30 seconds in question. Dom was being serious in what he said about people who focus on the trade and draft period.

If I had my way, we wouldn't have a draft or trade thread on here until after the season finish but I don't think dlanod would let me.

I only start them to ensure none of the plebs get in first and cause the known BF issue where if you're on someone's ignore list they can't see the thread at all.

I used to keep them locked but you have no idea how much grief I got from people over that...

I only start them to ensure none of the plebs get in first and cause the known BF issue where if you're on someone's ignore list they can't see the thread at all.

I used to keep them locked but you have no idea how much grief I got from people over that...

So what are some of the top prospects in the 2021 draft? We need to stockpile some draft picks for the next super, super draft.
There’s this SA kid...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And will end up at about 23.
I've mentioned this before but don't we in reality end up with choosing from the same draft pool we would have anyway? ie. We are never a chance of getting a rated NGA/Academy prospect/FS, particularly 1st rounders, clubs are always going to match those bids so they're out of our thinking or ever a realistic chance of getting to our club.

No chance bids on players like JUH, Campbell, Jones, McInness don't get picked up by their NGA/Academy/FS club unless a club has a massive brain fart and bids a pick 1-3 on say a Campbell.

Compensation picks however is another matter, hopefully not too many 1st round compo's.

I've mentioned this before but don't we in reality end up with choosing from the same draft pool we would have anyway? ie. We are never a chance of getting a rated NGA/Academy prospect/FS, particularly 1st rounders, clubs are always going to match those bids so they're out of our thinking or ever a realistic chance of getting to our club.

No chance bids on players like JUH, Campbell, Jones, McInness don't get picked up by their NGA/Academy/FS club unless a club has a massive brain fart and bids a pick 1-3 on say a Campbell.

Compensation picks however is another matter, hopefully not too many 1st round compo's.

Yes. The only actual difference would be points value of the picks really. You are essentially going to be still picking from the same pool of players.

Yes and no.

Yes we’re picking from the same pool of available kids. I just like looking at the the whole pool on talent.

However teams such as the Bulldogs will trade their first round pick, meaning another team gets the chance to draft ahead of us, thus weakening the pool available at our draft position.

Yes and no.

Yes we’re picking from the same pool of available kids. I just like looking at the the whole pool on talent.

However teams such as the Bulldogs will trade their first round pick, meaning another team gets the chance to draft ahead of us, thus weakening the pool available at our draft position.
I think it is that 2 or 3 years ago, the Nga kids wouldve been general draft pool, so if your general pool usually has (as an example) 10 A Class and 20 B class... it doesn't matter that we don't stand a shot at 4 of the A class and 8 of the B class players... the general pool is shallower.

This is different to a f/s or something, who've been raised in a club, etc...

AFL Draft Central has put up player reports for the two WA All star games. There were three prospects in particular that I think could be of interest to us: two ruckmen, Shannon Neale and Kalin Lane, whom I have reposted discussion of earlier in this thread, as well as Isiah Winder, a midfielder/small forward with great athleticism and football skills.

Game 1:

#7 Isiah Winder

A classy display from Winder, who was a standout at the WA combine. In this outing, he showed what he couldn’t at the combine – his football smarts and skills. Despite his side not having a great day on the scoreboard, Winder had a lot of say in the scores they did get. He crafted some lovely kicks to advantage going inside 50 and received one of his own, but his set shot would fall short. One of his better bits of play came in the last quarter, having a run at half-back and starting a chain of handballs which showed of his speed and class. He would unfortunately come off the ground late with an injury.
#31 Kalin Lane

A brilliant game from Lane who was the standout ruckman on the ground, giving his midfield first use and particularly forming a good partnership with fellow Claremont Tiger, Joel Western. His competitiveness to go with his hitout work was really impressive, as he took numerous strong marks around the ground and was more than willing to tackle once he had competed in a ruck contest. Perhaps his most eye-catching movement came in the second quarter when he managed to nail the elusive Denver Grainger-Barras with a strong tackle, which would lead to his side kicking a goal.
#37 Shannon Neale

It wasn’t a big day for Neale, who played mostly forward for Team Black with Kalin Lane getting the major ruck duties. Neale did some nice things forward without hitting the scoreboard himself, with a nice smother close to goal and numerous leaps at the ball to kill contests. His best work came when he was able to move into the ruck, where he was more involved with some nice taps and follow up work once the ball hit the ground. He will need to push up the ground more as a forward and really showcase his endurance as a former runner.

Game 2:

#7 Isiah Winder

Winder had a quieter outing on this occasion but still managed to show some of his eye-catching traits, with his kicking inside 50 his main point of difference this week. The talented Pell Thunder prospect will always lower his eyes going inside 50 and any forward leading out would love the ball in his hands. On the flip side, Winder himself provides a great forward target as he leads hard and his hands overhead are also clean. This came into effect with his goal in the second quarter, judging the flight of the ball well inside 50 and slotting the set shot goal with ease. Winder’s composure and smooth movement have been staples of his game this year, but a stronger four-quarter impact will help maximise his skillset going forward.
#31 Kalin Lane

Spending a bit less time in the ruck compared to last week, it was great to see Lane spend more time forward to show of a few more tricks. While missing his partner in crime and Claremont teammate, Joel Western for the second half, he did well to form other partnerships with the likes of the Johnson boys, Matthew and Callum. Lane nailed his only goal in the third quarter, coming from a strong outstretched contested mark which has been a real feature for him in the last month. It is an asset which is sure to separate him from other rucks across the states. He had another chance to kick a goal in the pocket but unfortunately kicked into the man on the mark.
#37 Shannon Neale

Neale finally got to capitalise on his chances up forward, as the big 202cm ruck/forward from South Fremantle was his side’s leading goalkicker with three majors which all came in different ways. His first goal came in the second quarter, kicking a nice goal in general play off two steps. His second was from a nice juggled contested mark and set shot conversion, while the last came in the final quarter as Lane got the ball over the back and ran into an open goal. He could have had even more from another two shots on goal, with one snap just missing. Neale didn’t really influence enough in his time in the ruck, so being able to impact forward of centre was important. With his athleticism and size, he will prove a great project for recruiters.

I definitely want to grab Winder. He isn't being talked about as a first round pick due to his height and size, but I think he could become a very damaging player in a few years with his pace, marking and kicking ability.

It would also be a good year to grab a ruck prospect, since Stef is clearly declining fast and Oscar is now the first choice ruck. Rucks tend to start being very useful once they're in their mid-20s (Gawn had his breakout at 23, Grundy at 24, Oscar this year at 26), so drafting one now will have them ready to take over when Oscar is 32-33 and at the end of his career.

Of the two, Neale is the better athlete (being a former state 400m and 800m runner) and seems to be the better forward, while Lane seems to be better at ruck work and contested marking around the ground. Either would be a fine choice.

AFL Draft Central has put up player reports for the two WA All star games. There were three prospects in particular that I think could be of interest to us: two ruckmen, Shannon Neale and Kalin Lane, whom I have reposted discussion of earlier in this thread, as well as Isiah Winder, a midfielder/small forward with great athleticism and football skills.

Game 1:

Game 2:

I definitely want to grab Winder. He isn't being talked about as a first round pick due to his height and size, but I think he could become a very damaging player in a few years with his pace, marking and kicking ability.

It would also be a good year to grab a ruck prospect, since Stef is clearly declining fast and Oscar is now the first choice ruck. Rucks tend to start being very useful once they're in their mid-20s (Gawn had his breakout at 23, Grundy at 24, Oscar this year at 26), so drafting one now will have them ready to take over when Oscar is 32-33 and at the end of his career.

Of the two, Neale is the better athlete (being a former state 400m and 800m runner) and seems to be the better forward, while Lane seems to be better at ruck work and contested marking around the ground. Either would be a fine choice.
I've had an interest in Winder since reading the below article earlier this month-

Another standout across the testing was Peel Thunder hopeful Isiah Winder, who starred as the best overall prospect.

Winder finished in the top-five of every test, including winning the vertical jump test (76cm) and the 20-metre sprint with 2.873 seconds.

Winder's performances this season have seen him push into top-30 contention, with the composed midfielder drawing comparisons to hawthorn great Shaun Burgoyne.

Screenshot_20201021-111501_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Size, speed, ball winning and skills. This is why I want Carroll more than any other realistically available prospect in this draft. A McCluggage-type on each wing would make us very difficult to stop going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back