2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd dare say Townsville perhaps don't need AFL as much as they have the NQLD Cowboys playing out of there every 2 weeks but yes, it wouldn't hurt to have an extra home hub for some teams.
i’m just more concerned about how well Metricon and the Gabba will be holding up in a few weeks if they compress the fixture again - think the more grounds they’re playing at the better

i’m just more concerned about how well Metricon and the Gabba will be holding up in a few weeks if they compress the fixture again - think the more grounds they’re playing at the better

Both seem to be holding up very well. Around about 2000 after an absolute mud-heap game against the Bulldogs the Gabba put a lot of work into the playing surface and now it's one of the best in the country. It holds up quite well under repeat games so I'm not surprised it's holding up well

Yep this.

If you read the media about it, it seems to me that the QLD government has flipped some cash to the AFL for this.

When McGowan says that he's not interested in a WA Grand Final what he's really saying is that the WA government isn't going to give the AFL cash.

That's why to me it's funny that there's even a conversation about WA getting the Grand Final. QLD would have already 'bought' it by now (or close to).

Cairns is an awesome option. Nice weather. Nice location. No covid. Good to give the locals some footy. Shouldn't be complaining.

My complaint is solely selfish, on the whole I think it's great to see Cairns get some footy and playing in warm and humid conditions might just give us a handy advantage in the last few weeks

Cairns is an awesome option. Nice weather. Nice location. No covid. Good to give the locals some footy. Shouldn't be complaining.

Totally agree. Plus it’s quite unique conditions that will be alien to other teams who fly in - whilst we get to train there and play a block of matches there.

Also, as you go into FNQ the proportion of locals who are indigenous increases. We should be marketing ourselves to the locals as the team who has most proudly represented Indigenous players in the AFL and try and win ourselves a little enclave of Dockers fans in the North East.

I can’t remember what other thread I said this in, but with my half glass full view of the world I’m backing is to finish with a winning record this year. Win the rest of the Optus games and then beat the Demons and Kangeroos in FNQ and we finish with at least nine wins.

Beat one of the Doggies or Tigers in Cairns and then finals is a lock.

Is Cairns the ground that Matera screwed the kick back to Karmichael to beat Richmond after the siren?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QLD has an election in October after seeing their state rebel against their team in the federal election, they have ground to make up with their people.

McGowan has an election in March next year but is riding such high popularity that it won't make a difference. They get far more value out of spending that $10 million dollars on a TAFE program.

Don't mind getting out and about and experiencing different grounds, conditions etc for a bit of a sustained burst. It's a good developmental experience for the squad. A slight preference for it to be Darwin though. Possibly more likely to return there and also more opportunities to gain some sustainable fans (not that far from some of our NGA zones too, relatively speaking).

It literally seemed that we had no interest. It's a bit odd but I'm not surprised after seeing major events leave WA year after year.
MacGowan knows this is going to steel his popularity for the next election. Plus Clive Palmer is suing. It is counterproductive if they suddenly opened the border for AFL, then be hypocritical to Palmer.

Getting to the end of the H&A fixture made it inevitable that all of the teams needed to be in the same state - there’s just too many random games that need to be completed.

The 14 day quarantine in WA sadly also made it inevitable that the state of choice couldn’t be WA.

I do wonder why the Demons and Bombers couldn’t have been a final pair to fly out to WA. They haven’t played each other and we need to play the Demons, whilst the Toast play the Bombers - would have secured another couple of rounds in WA before a final burst in QLD.

As it stands, it looks like we’ll only get seven games at Optus when it could have been eight (i.e. half the season).

I suspect it’s more down to the AFL wanting to get WCE away from Optus.

I'm guessing the toast will be playing 5 games out of SE Queensland, so they'll head over a week before Freo.

Cairns is a pretty good option, but I don't buy the argument to try and make it fair and equitable to the other clubs, the amount of travel Freo have had to do other years - e.g. Tassie, Canberra, Darwin, Geelong etc which has turned an already bad 4 hour flight to a 6-7 flight + bus ride. We should have had at least 2 more games in Perth in my opinion.

I was a bit confused about the announcement. Will the Swans still play the Dockers in Perth and then fly to Cairns or will that fixture also be moved to Cairns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back