Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowbottom and Florent will make a very good midfield combo in years to come, need to find another one to complement those 2, and of course a ruckman.

Stephens hopefully will complement them but we definitely need at the very least one more to add to the current depth. Ideally two more. Hewett will be a very good foot soldier for a long time yet but isn't that next level calibre player.

If I had my way, I'd be speaking to Brad Crouch about what his asking price is.

Failing that, Brayden Fiorini, Jye Caldwell, and Jackson Hately are all out of contract at the end of the year. Pick off one of them at the end of the year and add Campbell and Gulden and we're on our way.

Last edited:
I really like Caldwell and Hately both of them will struggle to get games in a fully fit gws team, and if GWS resign Cameron and Williams there couldn't be much left in salary cap, they also have Kelly out of contract the following year.

Perryman is also out of contract and has established himself in their best 22.

Didn't realize Fiorini was out of contract his disposal numbers are awesome, must admit I haven't seen a lot of gold coast, is he a good user of the ball?

Brad Crouch will be 27 next year, he worries me a bit cause of his injury history, he might not have longevity in his body, don't get me wrong very good player, but for our list i reckon he's about 2 years too old.

Another who seems to have been squeezed out is Brayden Sier, to me he's a perfect body size and style of player to complement our current young group of mids.

I really like Caldwell and Hately both of them will struggle to get games in a fully fit gws team, and if GWS resign Cameron and Williams there couldn't be much left in salary cap, they also have Kelly out of contract the following year.

Perryman is also out of contract and has established himself in their best 22.

Didn't realize Fiorini was out of contract his disposal numbers are awesome, must admit I haven't seen a lot of gold coast, is he a good user of the ball?

Brad Crouch will be 27 next year, he worries me a bit cause of his injury history, he might not have longevity in his body, don't get me wrong very good player, but for our list i reckon he's about 2 years too old.

Another who seems to have been squeezed out is Brayden Sier, to me he's a perfect body size and style of player to complement our current young group of mids.

I don't get why we haven't been poaching GWS cast-offs more in our time. I get many of their players want to go home, or at least say they do, but seems a missed opportunity. Unless the two clubs have a secret handshake agreement to not go too hard at each other's players anymore...

Yeh I don't know what Sier's issue is. He flashed so strongly in the 2018 GF side and since that "Phil Inn" incident, he's barely been sighted. I'd be interested in talking to him as well.

Fiorini's ball use is OK, I wouldn't say it's stellar, but he's a good contested ball winner and can run pretty well. Realistically I doubt he's gettable, he's in Gold Coast's leadership group and they look like they might be starting to come good, so I doubt they'll let him go without a fight.

I don't get why we haven't been poaching GWS cast-offs more in our time. I get many of their players want to go home, or at least say they do, but seems a missed opportunity. Unless the two clubs have a secret handshake agreement to not go too hard at each other's players anymore...

Yeh I don't know what Sier's issue is. He flashed so strongly in the 2018 GF side and since that "Phil Inn" incident, he's barely been sighted. I'd be interested in talking to him as well.

Fiorini's ball use is OK, I wouldn't say it's stellar, but he's a good contested ball winner and can run pretty well. Realistically I doubt he's gettable, he's in Gold Coast's leadership group and they look like they might be starting to come good, so I doubt they'll let him go without a fight.
Looks like Sier has fallen behind Wills and Tyler Brown, so maybe available still has 1 year left on current deal, still have to convince him to move to Sydney.

When it comes to the GWS players I think until now we haven't really been in a position salary cap wise to get the better ones e.g. Treloar Adams. We were also a very strong team from 12 to 17 so couldn't really offer first team football to the lesser players e.g. Plowman O'Rourke

We also had the trade ban which stuffed us for a couple of years.

Probably for the first time, with large contracts coming to an end in the coming 2 years, we will be in a position to recruit

Half agree with you.

It's too difficult to say really as this current team is a very different, and difficult, kettle of fish to what he'd ideally be working with. In an ideal world, Hanners isn't cooked and is probably our co-captain right now, and he's playing in the midfield while Rowbottom is in the NEAFL. In an ideal world, Reid is not broken/average (take your pick) and he's a reliable presence at half forward while Blakey/McCartin is in the NEAFL. In an ideal world, Rohan gets his sh*t together and is playing that medium forward role while Hayward is in the NEAFL. In an ideal world, guys like Grundy, Smith, Jack didn't all hit walls as soon as they turned 30, and we are able to enjoy their seasoned experience out there while McInerney is in the NEAFL.

Unfortunately none of those things happened. Whether they're self-inflicted wounds or not, the list has turned out to be overflowing with younger players while a lot of the established players have not worked out for whatever reason.

It's left a gaping hole where the bulk of our team is on the younger end of the spectrum over the last few years, and that's not conducive to young talent firing on all cylinders. If there's a reason players like Hanners, Parker and Mitchell were able to so quickly elevate to that top level once they debuted, it's because they were learning and developing in experienced, mature sides. I truly think we'd see our younger Swans performing very differently if the senior talent around them wasn't just the three captains and then daylight.
Agree. Two other factors:
Buddy's salary (and Tippett too)
The two year "we pissed off the AFL by snaring Buddy trade ban".
Both punched a hole in our age profile.
Never underestimate the value of good role models, both temperamentally and physically.

So 3 rounds in we sit 2 & 1 & could easily have been 3 & 0 & sitting up top.
That 6 point loss to the Bombers came down to the first quarter start, or lack of it.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the young group. Those few players that have struggled for form will find their mojo & I'm sure will will go up a cog but to beat an in form & well coached North side away was very much a pleasant surprise for me.

So 3 rounds in we sit 2 & 1 & could easily have been 3 & 0 & sitting up top.
That 6 point loss to the Bombers came down to the first quarter start, or lack of it.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the young group. Those few players that have struggled for form will find their mojo & I'm sure will will go up a cog but to beat an in form & well coached North side away was very much a pleasant surprise for me.
Games go full length we lose all 3 games imo though

Very much agree with you, needs to be released into it, hard to have him, jpk and parker in a centre square, pretty one dimensional and I think we've seen the start of the squeezing out of that set up.
Horse plays plenty of blokes out of position, it’s my biggest criticism of him as a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowbottom and Florent will make a very good midfield combo in years to come, need to find another one to complement those 2, and of course a ruckman.
Stephens, Campbell and Gulden. (ignoring that two of them are wingers but IMO that's probably the long term midfield 5)

I'd like a 6'2" type in there though as that midfield seems a tad short.

Ruck is our biggest problem though. McLean looks excellent but at 6'6" might be a bit short to ruck full-time and Naismith can't stay on the park.

The other problem IMO is a gap in the spine - though Brand has done better than I expected in this regard. Aliir is good if inconsistent and there's a lot to like about Blakey and McCartin but there's room for another KPP, perhaps two if Blakey plays more of a midfield role. Daniher coming in (if it does happen) should help though and apparently we've been linked to Darcy Moore?

Otherwise I like what we're building.

EDIT: Should've mentioned McInerney before Gulden given he's actually on our list and has looked promising thus far. Warner could go either way but is also a talent.

Last edited:
Stephens, Campbell and Gulden. (ignoring that two of them are wingers but IMO that's probably the long term midfield 5)

I'd like a 6'2" type in there though as that midfield seems a tad short.

Ruck is our biggest problem though. McLean looks excellent but at 6'6" might be a bit short to ruck full-time and Naismith can't stay on the park.

The other problem IMO is a gap in the spine - though Brand has done better than I expected in this regard. Aliir is good if inconsistent and there's a lot to like about Blakey and McCartin but there's room for another KPP, perhaps two if Blakey plays more of a midfield role. Daniher coming in (if it does happen) should help though and apparently we've been linked to Darcy Moore?

Otherwise I like what we're building.

EDIT: Should've mentioned McInerney before Gulden given he's actually on our list and has looked promising thus far. Warner could go either way but is also a talent.

I am not sure about Warner but just a personal hunch. Could just as easily prove me wrong.

I think that trio of Hewett, Florent and Rowbottom would be a great way forward for the inside brigade, with the kid the hybrid of the other two - Florent's evasiveness and instincts in traffic, with Hewett's hardness at the pill and the man.

Stephens, McInerney and Campbell the ideal outside brigade around them. All quick, all skilful. Will just depend on whether they can translate junior form/training form to the elite level.

Just important we get them playing together as much as possible, particularly that duo of Florent and Rowbottom. If they can build chemistry and a connection as on-ballers, would be a pretty exciting one-two punch.

Well for a start Heeney and Mills were elite midfielders. Played Mitchell as a half forward...
Sometimes players need to play out of position because we need their influence elsewhere. I can't recall Mitchell having ever played as a half forward but pointing to a game or two doesn't scream Mitchell being played out of position. Similarly Heeney has had plenty of opportunity to play as a midfielder and has shown he's not an elite midfielder at AFL level, but he can be an elite forward at elite level.

Mitchell definitely played hf
Was this early doors though or 2015/16? Because by the time he had actually established himself he was definitely playing onball AFAIR.

Horse plays plenty of blokes out of position, it’s my biggest criticism of him as a coach.
I think coaches know what's best for the team when it comes to where players are played.
Take Jeremey Howe for example.
He really wanted to play forward & left Melbourne because he was being played "out of position" so Collingwood & Buckley whispered sweet nothings in his ear & told him that if he came to them, they would play him as a forward.

Currently one of the best in form intercepting defenders in the AFL.
But hey, Buckley knows what he's doing I guess.

At the end of the day the player listens to the coaches & the coaches mostly know how to get the most out of a player's strengths, at that particular moment in time of the players career in order to suit the team & not the individual.
Premiership teams are littered with such scenarios.

Jeremey McGovern is another wannabe forward who dominated as a defender in his premiership year.

Mitchell played HF as did Hewett before becoming a full time mid. Possibly to get game time into them, to manage midfield minutes or to work defensively on an attacking half back type. Thought this was happening with Heeney before he moved to be a full time mid but that didn't happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back