List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing I can think of is if Melbourne and GWS genuinely have Luke Jackson as pick 3 in which case the Dees couldn’t risk bidding on Green for the fear that Giants didn’t match and take Jackson. In that scenario Dees can’t trade back as they lose their guy to us and risk getting a gun but not their main guy.

Young + Jackson seem like the 2 that will go at 3 and 4

Trams pass me out on St. Kilda Road,
Drizzle wet and slow, like thinking,
Oh oh, take me down into Young and Jacksons
We'll do a bit of serious drinking.

Lean on bar, hands in the pockets,
Drain those glasses down like rockets.
Call this history? But what could we ever really know,
Of you?
In your Roaring Days,
In your Roaring Days,
In your Roaring Days,

sorry - couldn't resist. It's now an earworm - but a good one because it's a good song.

Can see you guys trading 40 with Port for more points, they have an excess of picks which fit perfectly. Also could trade that future NM pick 3 and get a future pick 4 back for some more currency.

Someone is going to have to explain this to me...

We take whoever at pick 4
Bid comes on Green at 5
How many points?
If we are in deficit for next year, that comes off our first round selection doesn’t it? But that’s now with Adelaide. Do they slide? Or does our points come off a later selection meaning we basically lose our second rounder as well. We won’t be entering the draft until the mid sixties?
And does that mean we’ll be done by pick 5 or will we still have really late picks this year? If we’re in deficit for next year, how can we still have picks this year?

I is confused.

Bid comes on Green at 5
How many points?
If we are in deficit for next year, that comes off our first round selection doesn’t it? But that’s now with Adelaide. Do they slide? Or does our points come off a later selection meaning we basically lose our second rounder as well. We won’t be entering the draft until the mid sixties?
And does that mean we’ll be done by pick 5 or will we still have really late picks this year? If we’re in deficit for next year, how can we still have picks this year?

I is confused.
This was what was posted on the trades board

I'm confused myself.

Last edited:

Bid comes on Green at 5
How many points?

I is confused.

It will only cost points on picks we actually own so no impact on the crows at all.
But if the Swans bid on Green as expected with the 20% discount we will need to pay up 1500 pts and at the moment we only have 733 pts with pick 40 59 and 60 so its going to pretty much wipe out all our picks for next year.

So if this plays out the way we think we finish night 1 after pick 5 and use very late picks on day 2 that have no points attached to fill out the rest of our list.

This was what was posted on the trades board

I'm confused myself.
By my maths that's correct, except we can match Melbourne's bid on Green with pick 4.

It will only cost points on picks we actually own so no impact on the crows at all.
But if the Swans bid on Green as expected with the 20% discount we will need to pay up 1500 pts and at the moment we only have 733 pts with pick 40 59 and 60 so its going to pretty much wipe out all our picks for next year.

We'll lose all this year's draft plus if we finish in the top few again next year we'll probably lose our second and best third rounder next year, leaving us with either a late third round or early fourth round pick depending on where we finish.

I
I think this is just a bit dodgy. I would prefer to keep 12,18 and then trade down. Look at the Devon Smith deal, we got the equivalent of a late second rounder , but also got pick 11 which was Bonar. What happened to him, given away for almost nothing.

We wouldn't have done this if we weren't 99% confident Green wouldn't get bid on by Melbourne
You would have to suspect Melbourne have told GWS they won't be bidding on Green. I expect they take Jackson at 3 & then GWS take Young at 4 & Green at 5 to match Sydney's bid. A really good result for GWS if it pans out like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would have to suspect Melbourne have told GWS they won't be bidding on Green. I expect they take Jackson at 3 & then GWS take Young at 4 & Green at 5 to match Sydney's bid. A really good result for GWS if it pans out like that.

As it stands without knowing the trajectory of careers with injury etc if we net Green and Young its an absolute slam dunk.

Young is an instant replacement for Heater, Green a clearance bull with lovely height. Both have Group 1 character.

With Caldwell, Hill, O’Halloran and Hately we are building the foundation for our next generation.

Last edited:
A smart move by your club. If the crows were in GWS' position where we had a top academy kid and had the chance to get in ahead of the bid and we knew we would get 2 x top 5 rated players (after just coming off of a grand final appearance!!) but be dealt out of the rest of the draft and part of next years draft, I'd be filthy if my club didn't move heaven and earth to do the same as GWS. I just hope (fingers crossed) that with your 2020 1st and ours we can get Lukosius or at thew least Riley Tilthorpe next year - that would be awesome for us

Tom green will be a tiger when his contract is up so why are you bothering getting him his grandfather played in 4 flags for Richmond and he is a mad tigers supporter so you can keep him warm for us for 2 years
Haha.

Tom green will be a tiger when his contract is up so why are you bothering getting him his grandfather played in 4 flags for Richmond and he is a mad tigers supporter so you can keep him warm for us for 2 years

And Matthew Primus’ grandfather played 245 games for for Geelong - and coached them for 304 games (won a premiership as a player - won another as a captain coach - won two more as a coach) and was named as both Captain and Coach of Geelong’s team of the century as the centre half back - hell, they even named a grandstand after him at Kardinia Park.

Remind me again of how many games Primus, a huge Geelong supporter as a kid, played for Geelong?

In Twomey's latest Phantom Form Guide he has Young, Ash, Jackson and Flanders linked as the ones we are looking at for pick 4.
So all the names you would expect. So now it comes down to who is still there at 4 and given what we paid up who will stay the course and not look for the first exit and with that I would lean towards Ash but talent wise Young would be my guy.

Last edited:
Have to admit I'm surprised that we did a trade now and didn't wait until draft night. And although we have traditionally paid overs in such trades, still surprised that we didn't push to get something back from Adelaide in the trade. We're pretty tight on points for the match. In the end I presume that we'll lose someone next year to offset the loss of selections, but we still need to be able to legally match the bid this year - and that's tight I believe.

According to the Herald Sun:
Gold Coast 1. Matt Rowell (Oakleigh Chargers, 180cm midfielder)
Gold Coast 2. Noah Anderson (Oakleigh Chargers, 191cm midfield-forward)
Melbourne 3. Luke Jackson (East Fremantle, 199cm ruckman)
GWS 4. Lachie Ash (Murray Bushrangers, 186cm halfback)
GWS 5. Tom Green* (GWS academy, 191cm midfielder)
Sydney 6. Sam Flanders (Gippsland Power, 182cm midfielder)
Adelaide 7. Fischer McAsey (Sandringham Dragons, 197cm defender)
Fremantle 8. Hayden Young (Dandenong Stingrays, 188cm halfback)
Melbourne 9. Demons will trade this pick to another club
Carlton 10. Caleb Serong (Gippsland Power, 179cm midfield-forward)
Fremantle 11. Deven Robertson (Perth, 184cm midfielder)
Hawthorn 12. Brodie Kemp (Bendigo Pioneers, 193cm defender)
Port Adelaide 13. Dylan Stephens (Norwood, 183cm midfielder)
Western Bulldogs 14. Miles Bergman (Sandringham Dragons, 189cm utility)
*GWS matches Sydney’s bid for Green, pushing the order back one

According to the Herald Sun:
Gold Coast 1. Matt Rowell (Oakleigh Chargers, 180cm midfielder)
Gold Coast 2. Noah Anderson (Oakleigh Chargers, 191cm midfield-forward)
Melbourne 3. Luke Jackson (East Fremantle, 199cm ruckman)
GWS 4. Lachie Ash (Murray Bushrangers, 186cm halfback)
GWS 5. Tom Green* (GWS academy, 191cm midfielder)
Sydney 6. Sam Flanders (Gippsland Power, 182cm midfielder)
Adelaide 7. Fischer McAsey (Sandringham Dragons, 197cm defender)
Fremantle 8. Hayden Young (Dandenong Stingrays, 188cm halfback)
Melbourne 9. Demons will trade this pick to another club
Carlton 10. Caleb Serong (Gippsland Power, 179cm midfield-forward)
Fremantle 11. Deven Robertson (Perth, 184cm midfielder)
Hawthorn 12. Brodie Kemp (Bendigo Pioneers, 193cm defender)
Port Adelaide 13. Dylan Stephens (Norwood, 183cm midfielder)
Western Bulldogs 14. Miles Bergman (Sandringham Dragons, 189cm utility)
*GWS matches Sydney’s bid for Green, pushing the order back one

More than happy with either Young or Ash, it’s really 6 of one half a dozen the other. Both look very high character, hard to see us making an error so hopefully they are right and there is no Dees bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back